Smp in old artas scar

I got fue grafts recently put into a Old artas scar. So I’m sure it’ll look 100% better once they grow in a few months , but I’m interested in getting some smp just to completely camouflage the scar. Any recommendations? Also I heard it’s different type of inks ? I have no idea about this topic . Looking for advice or recommendations thanks 

• Moderators

Let the FUE grafts grow in first before deciding anything. It may turn out that what you have is good enough.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

Whatever you do @Chances101 do not have SMP until after a year from when you have had surgery. The tiny scars will not be stable for at least 12 months and no decent SMP clinic would touch it during this time. If they do offer to perform SMP on you then stay clear of that clinic. All the best!

On 10/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, Sam818 said:

Read this to learn about the process:

https://www.ishrs-htforum.org/content/26/3/85

You need to research the clinic you choose for SMP the same way you would a hair restoration surgery 

thats an interesting informative link, one of the pics show some mustache area work. Seen some guys on here post about their transplants from the scalp to thicken their beards. Wonder how many would consider using SMP for more subtle thickening, otherwise it wouldn't look natural, or for someone that wants to keep little more than a constant 5oclock shadow :D

image.png.bc630b32e490c37d81a6ef02c2e4d0cb.png

21 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Let the FUE grafts grow in first before deciding anything. It may turn out that what you have is good enough.

I totally agree.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 10/22/2020 at 9:26 PM, Chances101 said:

How would smp look at this length 

0E1FEADF-733D-4AEC-8760-6E96D8FE80E7.jpeg

Not great in my opinion. SMP only really works if your hair is really short (0 or 0.5). Once the grows longer than that you start seeing the disconnect between ink dots on the scalp and longer hair. Take a look at my attached pic. I recently had SMP done to camouflage fue overharvesting and I now realise that’s not the best option. I wish I had done what you did and get grafts placed into the scarring first, something I am looking at now.

The other option is to have your hair so long that you can’t quite make out the pigments. But then you have to go quite dark with the ink to match longer hair and will always have to have your hair long. Check my second pic where I’ve done exactly that. But again, you can see the pigments up close. 

6D542968-51A3-48AF-BFBF-B310CDAA6FB7.jpeg

EAB0B87C-98C9-42E0-B390-F197D0FE29BF.jpeg

@Mr Sinister is it really that obvious? Has someone ever brung up the smp without you mentioning it? 

I think the smp artist is as important as finding a hair transplant doctor . 

also how many sessions did you get ? 

I have found some good smp artist on Instagram . 

This was a decent example I seen 

1A01F4F6-9CB7-4E6C-A9D8-BC9C4C0A49E2.jpeg

Edited by Chances101

31 minutes ago, Chances101 said:

I think the smp artist is as important as finding a food transplant doctor .

I have to admit I've looked enviously at some plates of food that were far better than the one in front of me ...so a food transplant doctor would be the one to fix that? :D

17 hours ago, Mr Sinister said:

Not great in my opinion. SMP only really works if your hair is really short (0 or 0.5). Once the grows longer than that you start seeing the disconnect between ink dots on the scalp and longer hair. Take a look at my attached pic. I recently had SMP done to camouflage fue overharvesting and I now realise that’s not the best option. I wish I had done what you did and get grafts placed into the scarring first, something I am looking at now.

The other option is to have your hair so long that you can’t quite make out the pigments. But then you have to go quite dark with the ink to match longer hair and will always have to have your hair long. Check my second pic where I’ve done exactly that. But again, you can see the pigments up close. 

6D542968-51A3-48AF-BFBF-B310CDAA6FB7.jpeg

EAB0B87C-98C9-42E0-B390-F197D0FE29BF.jpeg

Actually it looks quite good. But I think more 'tattoo dots' are needed, this will increase the illusion of density, it will look better. The only downside is you cannot trim your hair really short anymore (shaved look, or buzzcut 1).

15 hours ago, Chances101 said:

@Mr Sinister is it really that obvious? Has someone ever brung up the smp without you mentioning it? 

I think the smp artist is as important as finding a hair transplant doctor . 

also how many sessions did you get ? 

I have found some good smp artist on Instagram . 

This was a decent example I seen 

1A01F4F6-9CB7-4E6C-A9D8-BC9C4C0A49E2.jpeg

No one has said anything yet because I wear my hair fairly long around the back and sides, but I still use hair fibres in the back and sides as the over harvesting is still very apparent, so that also provides more coverage. ive had 2 sessions, I do think I could do with more to add more density, but am opting to place some hair grafts into the area first. And then I will revisit SMP if I still need it. The example pic you have posted is a little deceptive in my opinion. In the after shots, the hair is clearer longer, so that is also adding to the masking of the scar. From my experience, then best defence against scaring is simply longer hair.

So my advice would be to wait for the full growth of your new grafts or atleast for 8 months. Then decide if you want SMP. If you do, then decide if you want really short hair on the back and sides (0 or 0.5) or long (4+). As that will determine the colour pigment used. You will then have to always have your hair at that length for the next few years / until the SMP fades. I think usually from 5 years

I think the smp looks better for a more diffuse thinning look, more than a completely hairless area . But I do agree that your smp actually doesn’t Look bad . You may need 1 more session. And I think you should be good. It’s not obvious. You should consider getting a drop fade. I think that will work in your favor . 

FB282D44-76B8-4A34-8B5F-3C35FF9BF0BE.jpeg

I definitely can’t have a fade 😆  That was the original plan if my fue was done properly. But with the over harvesting and significant discolouration in my donor (even 1 year on), my best defence is longer hair back and sides. And then hopefully some additional grafts and SMP in there to add density. My current SMP is already quite dark so once it’s done, you can’t really have a fade 😫

good luck my friend 🙏🏾