Born with two scars on the back of my head head. Can a hair transplant help me or should I stick with scar revision?

Hey there, new guy here.

Breaking up my posts to prevent writing a journal. I have two pretty nasty scars that I received while I was being delivered. Apparently the pressure was too intense for a natural childbirth when I was coming out, so I needed an emergency c-section. Had to shave my head for college Army ROTC, and this is pretty much what it looks like when it's worn short.

I'm working with a surgeon right now to repair some damaged eyebrow hair, and he has said that he can also perform scar revision. However, since the scars are so deep and likely have very low blood supply, he does not feel that the results from an FUE would be very beneficial. Clearly, an FUT will not help me. I'm looking to do the military after school, so I will probably have to have my hair buzzed like this most of the time. 

Looking for some second opinions. Thanks!

IMG_6864.PNG

Edited by Brizmore

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of opting for Scalp micropigmentation over a hair transplant?

I'd eventually like to grow my hair out. So wouldn't that mean that the longer hair would look unequal with the scar tissue if I wanted it to grow?

Edited by Brizmore
  • Like 1

Do you have any hair loss on top?  Like traditional male pattern baldness?  If so, maybe you can do a strip FUT for it and excise the existing scar simultaneously?  Just a thought...

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Do you have any hair loss on top?  Like traditional male pattern baldness?  If so, maybe you can do a strip FUT for it and excise the existing scar simultaneously?  Just a thought...

No. I have no problems with hair loss, recession, or male pattern baldness. I simply have scar tissue on the scalp I'm looking to get repaired.

Edited by Brizmore

1 hour ago, Shifty said:

scalp micropigmentation might be better for you. 

If I'm not looking to wear my hair short at all times, isn't this a bad idea? I usually wear my hair longer (2 or a 3) when I get a haircut. But it would be nice to get a zero at the back of my head so that I can get a nice transition during tapered haircuts. 

I'd get the scar revised as thin as you can get it and then smp it since you say the scar runs pretty deep likely preventing any transplanted hairs taking root.

Or just keep the scar and tell the ladies you got it while taking a hilltop during ROTC :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ciaus said:

I'd get the scar revised as thin as you can get it and then smp

Yeah, this is probably the right course of action.  After the scar revision you might not even need SMP.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Valued Contributor

One option is to have a scar reduction as has been suggested. I have had several both in my donor area where your scar is and along my hairline. It will still leave you with a scar however the width of it will be reduced. A year after surgery with a thin scar you could then have SMP. I would not suggest having SMP on the scar as it is because as you have said, once you grow your hair out it you will notice the difference. All the best.

17 hours ago, Brizmore said:

If I'm not looking to wear my hair short at all times, isn't this a bad idea? I usually wear my hair longer (2 or a 3) when I get a haircut. But it would be nice to get a zero at the back of my head so that I can get a nice transition during tapered haircuts. 

I would think it a great idea with long hair because ultimately it darkens the area. it would be the same mechanism as say hair fibers, but permanent. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Brizmore,

to be honest, I think hair transplantation or scalp micro pigmentation could help you but there are pros and cons to both approaches. For starters, I suggest consulting with a top hair transplant surgeon and discuss whether or not he or she thinks a hair transplant procedure is right for you. In this case, FUE would be the most appropriate procedure especially since you are looking to fill in a star and not achieve another one. But sometimes hair Has a more difficult time growing in scar tissue than normal tissue. So that is one thing to discuss with your doctor. Tatian is a viable technique but would have to be a repeat procedure every couple of years. There is permanent SMP but as far as I know, discoloration is still very possible a couple years down the road. That’s why temporary SMP is typically preferred but over time, the procedure needs to be repeated.

Please keep us posted with your decision,

Bill

Edited by Bill-Dr-Rahal

6 hours ago, Bill-Dr-Rahal said:

Brizmore,

to be honest, I think her transportation or scalp micro pigmentation could help you but there are pros and cons to both approaches. For starters, I suggest consulting with a top hair transplant surgeon and discuss whether or not he or she thinks a hair transplant procedure is right for you. In this case, FUE would be the most appropriate procedure especially since you are looking to fill in a star and not achieve another one. But sometimes hair Has a more difficult time growing in scar tissue than normal tissue. So that is one thing to discuss with your doctor. Tatian is a viable technique but would have to be a repeat procedure every couple of years. There is permanent SMP but as far as I know, discoloration is still very possible a couple years down the road. That’s why temporary SMP is typically preferred but over time, the procedure needs to be repeated.

Please keep us posted with your decision,

Bill

Hey bill, sorry but what is a “her transportation?”

• Haha 1

LonelyGraft,

“her transportation” is when you need to get to your hair transplant in a hurry and realize that you just don’t drive fast or crazy enough so you have to ask your wife to drive you 🙂

or it could just be a terrible speech to text translation issue 🤑

Bill

Edited by Bill-Dr-Rahal
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

If the Dr is telling you that he thinks the scar may be too deep for FUE to grow plus you want to put a few grafts in other areas then I think the best thing to do is excise the scar and take a small amount of good hair with it to use as the grafts for you eye brows.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.