Question about donor area.

A little backstory: I had a fue ht in Turkey with 2500 grafts ( or at least that's what I've been told ) extracted and they ended up over harvesting my donor area. I did get some hair growth though, and now I'm trying to improve density at the front. So I scheduled an appointment with dr. Arocha. Given that my donor area is pretty weak I didn't think that I would be a candidate for another ht procedure, but to my surprise dr. Arocha said that he can work with what I have, and extract up to 2000 more grafts from donor area with fue. The only thing,  he said that I could only have short fade cut in the back of my head because there wouldn't be much hair left. Basically I will be sacrificing donor area for the density in the front. Which I think I am willing to do, but still hesitant. 

Did anybody has a similar experience? What is your opinion? Would you do it if you were in the same situation? I understand it's completely up to me to decide, just wanted to hear what other people think.

Edited by SethGecko

• SethGecko changed the title to Question about donor area.

If you go ahead you are agreeing to having to constantly wear your hair short, if you had already done this prior than it shouldn't be a big deal, the only thing it will mean is that you'll have to see the barbers more frequently - i.e. once a week to maintain the short sides. If you are willing to do that then go for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guano said:

If you go ahead you are agreeing to having to constantly wear your hair short, if you had already done this prior than it shouldn't be a big deal, the only thing it will mean is that you'll have to see the barbers more frequently - i.e. once a week to maintain the short sides. If you are willing to do that then go for it.

Thanks for the answer. I really don't mind having my hair short constantly. I just wanted to see if anyone else have done something similar.

And also I know dr. Arocha gets a good rep here, but I still can't believe that he said he can get 1500 to 2000 grafts from my donor area, cause my donor area looks like shit. Should I trust him?

Edited by SethGecko

I feel your pain brother, I was over harvested in Turkey last year 😫

How long ago was your hair transplant? If it was recent you can expect more density in the coming months.

do you have beard and body hair? You could use that rather than sacrifice further donor hair. 

As gatsby mentioned, SMP would help add the illusion of density in both the donor and recipient area.

good luck 

On 10/16/2020 at 4:43 PM, Mr Sinister said:

I feel your pain brother, I was over harvested in Turkey last year 😫

How long ago was your hair transplant? If it was recent you can expect more density in the coming months.

do you have beard and body hair? You could use that rather than sacrifice further donor hair. 

As gatsby mentioned, SMP would help add the illusion of density in both the donor and recipient area.

good luck 

Thanks bro. I had it done 2 years ago in oct 2018. 

I could use some beard hair, but I've heard it's not a good option for frontal area. 

Btw which clinic in turkey did you go to? I went to elit hair transplant. I found out about them from youtuber matt dominance. Wisj I didn't.

1 hour ago, SethGecko said:

Thanks bro. I had it done 2 years ago in oct 2018. 

I could use some beard hair, but I've heard it's not a good option for frontal area. 

Btw which clinic in turkey did you go to? I went to elit hair transplant. I found out about them from youtuber matt dominance. Wisj I didn't.

I went to Dr Acar - cosmedica. Awful place!

I’ve always respected Matt dominance’s content. Might have to tread with caution in the future now!

My experience with Dr. Arocha is he's very ethical and typically conservative with his work.

If he says he's able to work with what you've got he probably can, but he's warning you about the donor area for a reason. Odds are you won't be able to wear the sides and back much longer than you have them now, and if you have any spots that have suboptimal growth for some reason he won't have anything to work with in terms of giving you a touch up. You need to think about whether you'd be okay with that.

Your hair is pretty short in the photos so I'm not sure what it looks like grown out. If you didn't change anything about your current situation would you be more likely to keep it short like it is now or grow it longer?

Yeah I understand that there wouldn't be much left for a touch up procedure, if needed. I do have quite a bit of beard hair though. 

As far as the length, I usually wear it even shorter than on the pictures. About 2-3 mm length. I tried to grow them out , but difference in density between front and top of the head so noticeable that it just looks like crap. There is simply not enough hair in the front to wear it long, but I wish I could. Even concealers like dermmatch or toppik won't work.

I feel like in your situation, if you're truly unhappy with the way the top of your head looks right now, I'd probably attempt the repair because with your current situation you're already keeping your donor area pretty short as it is, and at this point you're probably not going to notice the remaining grafts missing from the donor cosmetically, but they may be able to help your recipient. If you're unhappy wearing your hair as it is right now, a repair is your only option other than trying a hairpiece. I assume you've already ruled that out.

Thanks for the respond. Yeah you're right I don't consider wigs or hairpiece as an option. I still haven't decide whether I'll go with the procedure or not. But if I do I will definitely share my experience on this website.

• Like 1

Seth,

Regrettably, we all only have so much donor hair available for transplanting and as a result, it’s very possible that what Dr. Arocha is saying is true. Ultimately, it sounds like you may have to choose between thinner hair on the sides and back of your scalp or on top of your head. For me, this would be a no-brainer… I would much rather have Thinner Hair on the sides and back then on top however, it also depends on how much more density you can ultimately achieve.  

Best of luck in your decision,

Bill

Edited by Bill-Dr-Rahal
  • Like 1