Any recommendations for good dermatologists in Illinois?

Hey I have stressed out lately because it seems that I am losing hair everyday. I am a 24yo male and I have recently just started taking finasteride 1mg 3 days a week to lessen the side effects if I were to have any. Also, I have been taking saw palmetto, biotin, and other vitamins. I would like to first go to dermatologist before any other further actions to get a diognosis on whether I am deficient in anything and get a blood test. Are there any good and affordable dermatologists in Illinois that any of you can recommend. Also, do most of them take insurance, and what is the cost without insurance (I know it might just depend). Thank you

Perhaps there are more falling out, but what I am sure of is that the top of my crown is shedding and thinning. For that reason I wanted some insight on what is the first step I should take. I have heard dermatologists sometimes can inject a steroid, also they can provide an opinion on what the problem is. 

I have not taken minoxidil because I fear that it will ruin the natural hairs I already have. Other than my crown, every other area is relatively fine. Also i have been taking finasteride 3 times a week, what is the success rate with stopping hair loss and sometimes regrowth of hair with finasteride and how long does it take to see the effects? Also will I see more shedding in the early stages of taking finasteride?

• Administrators

Dr. Panine is a board certified dermatologist. He's located in Chicago, feel free to send him a virtual consultation, and see if he's willing to schedule you in for an in-person visit. I believe it will be more affordable than going out-of-pocket to another dermatologist without any real hair loss experience.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/Illinois/Vladimir-Panine/645 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:50 PM, futtaim said:

Hey I have stressed out lately because it seems that I am losing hair everyday. I am a 24yo male and I have recently just started taking finasteride 1mg 3 days a week to lessen the side effects if I were to have any. Also, I have been taking saw palmetto, biotin, and other vitamins. I would like to first go to dermatologist before any other further actions to get a diognosis on whether I am deficient in anything and get a blood test. Are there any good and affordable dermatologists in Illinois that any of you can recommend. Also, do most of them take insurance, and what is the cost without insurance (I know it might just depend). Thank you

I second what @Melvin-Moderator said. Dr. Panine is a board certified dermatologist and is a great guy. I would get in touch with him ASAP. In addition, seeing another dermatologist will take a LONG time since you'd have to go through your PCP to get the referral for insurance approval. You'll be in good hands with @Dr. Vladimir Panine

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider.