Dermatologist suggested Rogaine for my receding hairline? Pics and story inside...

Okay so today I went to my dermatologist since I have noticed a progressively receding hairline. Nothing too bad (if my hair stayed like this the rest of my life I would be satisfied), but enough of a recession since my teen years to cause concern. I just turned 21 and as of right now am looking for a preventive, non-surgical means of combating my hair loss.

So I went for my appointment with the dermatologist and he looked at my hair. He suggested I use Rogaine for my hairline, which I found surprising since I read Rogaine is not for the front but for the top of the scalp. He said this was a misconception and that it will work for the front as well. I asked him about Propecia, and he said he generally prescribes that for people with more extensive hair loss. I was disappointed/relieved at the same time. Relieved because I didn't like the idea of taking a pill to begin with, but disappointed because my research had put me under the impression that for my type of hair loss, Propecia would be my best bet.

Pictures of my hairline can be seen here.

Should I really push for Propecia and find a doctor who WILL prescribe it for me? Or do you guys think Rogaine will be appropriate/affective?

Also, what do you guys think of a hair-transplant based on my age and my extent of hair loss? Would it be something to consider looking into?

Thanks!

SERIOUS once ssaid:

"MPB is unpredictable. You could end up like your father... or maybe like your grand-grand-grand-grand-grand father that looked like a bowling ball and that you never saw because photographic devices didn't exist.

Since you're not satisfied with your hairline as it is now at 21, I would monitor your MPB progression very closely. Yes I would go to a dermatologist and get a second and a third opinion from other derms / docs if you realize the guy doesn't know much about MPB specifically. Nowadays with the internet and access to information, ordinary folks are sometimes more aware about some health matters than some docs that got a diploma 25 years ago.

As for treatments, let's keep in mind that we're the first generation in history to have access to treatments that actually work at slowing (even stopping) MPB for a majority of people. In that sense, we're very lucky. The most important factor with meds is consistency. Just take it or apply it once a day, it becomes an easy routine like brushing your teeth. You could consider finasteride every other day for a start. Minoxidil, even at the temple, can help a great deal also. But I would suggest to continue your research to make a wise decision.

Good luck"

and yes Rogaine does work for hairline as well.

BTW did he/she prescribed you 5% one? if not i suggest that you go back and ask specifically for 5% prescription.

if you notice however that minox 5% is doing nothing to help after a year or so than it's time for you to consider Finesteride (notice how i didn't say Propecia specifically). but don't drop minox, keep using it together with fin if push comes to shove down the road.

Hey Mr. GQ, thanks for the response.

I have no reason to assume that my doctor is uninformed about MPB. I was happy he agreed with me that my hairline is receding and gave me a suggestion such as Rogaine rather than dismiss my worries as an exaggerated reaction to a maturing hairline. However, I think I will get a second opinion from another dermatologist. Do you know of any good sites that recommend reputable dermatologists in the surrounding area?

Also, the doc told me to get Rogaine Extra Strength, or, 5% Minoxidil like you say.

The doctor said it's more of a preventative measure rather than a means of regrowing hair. I understand this, but is it POSSIBLE for Rogaine to also regrow hair as it claims?

I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on my hairline. If it gets any worse than I will definitely get my hands on Finesteride.

BTW...what do you think of a hair transplant as an option given my age and amount of recession?

THANKS!

Not to steal G's thunder, but I'll answer your questions...I don't think he'd mind.

but is it POSSIBLE for Rogaine to also regrow hair as it claims?

Yes, but MPB is genetic and progressive, and you will have to use it for the rest of your life. You can try Finasteride also, since they both work synergistically together. Watch out for side effects though.

BTW...what do you think of a hair transplant as an option given my age and amount of recession?

Judging by your pics, are you sure you have MPB? icon_wink.gif

Don't bother with any HT surgery at this point in your life.

take care...

Originally posted by mmhce:

Yes, but MPB is genetic and progressive, and you will have to use it for the rest of your life. You can try Finasteride also, since they both work synergistically together. Watch out for side effects though.

Hey thanks for your replies. I did some research and understand the potential side effects of Finasteride, but does Rogaine have side effects? The booklet only said some skin irritation, facial hair growth in women. Does using both together compound the risk for side effects?

but does Rogaine have side effects? The booklet only said some skin irritation, facial hair growth in women.

Minoxidil originated as medication for hypertension and one of the side effects for its adminstration was increased hair growth.

There are many more side effects to minoxidil, than what you listed there.

Does using both together compound the risk for side effects?

These are two different catergories of drugs.

One is vasodialotor and the other one adjusts the level of DHT (hormones) in your blood serum.

There are not any contraindications for the combination of the both, but I imagine like in all things there can be isolated incidents of compounded risks.

N.B. I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. PLEASE CONSULT ONE FOR THE USE OF ANY MEDICATION.

take care...

Originally posted by mmhce:
but does Rogaine have side effects? The booklet only said some skin irritation, facial hair growth in women.

Minoxidil originated as medication for hypertension and one of the side effects for its adminstration was increased hair growth.

There are many more side effects to minoxidil, than what you listed there.

Does using both together compound the risk for side effects?

These are two different catergories of drugs.

One is vasodialotor and the other one adjusts the level of DHT (hormones) in your blood serum.

There are not any contraindications for the combination of the both, but I imagine like in all things there can be isolated incidents of compounded risks.

N.B. I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. PLEASE CONSULT ONE FOR THE USE OF ANY MEDICATION.

Thanks for the info mmhce.

Not to steal G's thunder, but I'll answer your questions...I don't think he'd mind.

this time i'll forgive you, but next time i wont be so kind icon_wink.gif

hey at least you didn't steal my avatar icon_biggrin.gif

randy,

listen to the man.

this guy is the font of knowledge - no joke.

• 5 years later...