How many grafts do you estimate would give me good coverage of frontal 1/3, assume medium hair caliber

Tread carefully with HT's since you still have tons of native hair.  It depends on how low you'd want your hairline, but probably about 1500-2000 grafts would do it.  Are you on fin?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Ive been on fin for a few years and switched from liquid min to 2.5mg oral min a month ago. I think my hairloss has slowed down a lot. While I do have a decent amount of native hair it is definitely thinner than my "safe zone" and my lateral ridges have dropped some so I'm expecting nw5 to be my final form. 

Thanks for your input

Thanks for posting. Yes your pattern is still fairly controlled. May I ask what age are you and what your family history is like ?

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Thank you for replying Dr. T, I am about to turn 26, my older brother has similar pattern as me, I started losing hair before him but because I'm on medication and he isn't he has since gotten worse than me, my father is very thin on top and far receeded but he wears his hair long and it looks pretty good because his donor area is healthy, my mom never knew her dad. 

Edited by T95good

Thanks for the info. Honestly, If I were you, I would wait a bit. It seems to me that you could potentially end up with the crown extending quite low and that would eat out into the donor area in the middle. This ofcourse will reduce the total possible donor numbers. Another problem is that you frontal midline is still quite low compared to the recessions and this will require a bigger surface area of the temple recessions to be closed in order to keep the hairline looking natural. I would say you will need around 2000 grafts to get a homogenous hairline that follows your low forelock. The question is should you invest these right now? I would be reluctant myself because your overall look right now is good. You definitely have some thinning in the crown that is of concern to me as to how low will it extend into the donor and it is advisable that you wait for that with the medications until it stabilizes a bit more or until we know that the pattern is fairly well controlled on meds. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Here is another picture of the back under what I hoped would be harsher light. I agree with your concern that the crown loss will drop towards the occipital ridge though I do have and have always had a large cowlick to the right of my crown that looks like thinning, which makes it more difficult for me to predict loss pattern.

I am leaning towards still getting the surgery but only having lower extractions on the off chance that the crown drops, I am prepared to have 2-3 surgeries as this is a progressive 'disease' even if I have slowed it. At the end of the day if I have to choose having hair I don't like now or later I will probably choose later, I am also open to smp and even shaving my head in the future if necessary but I would like to have a decent hairline while I am young.

Thank you for your input as always Dr T I will continue to keep you updated, your opinion is always valued.

IMG_20201011_071308.jpg

You're welcome!! Well I understand your view on it and it is always an advantage having some realistic goals and expectations and a plan B. I dont think given your current maintenance regimen that filling the recessions is unreasonable. I think you can reach with your surgeon for a good plan whereby you achieve the hairline you like and at the same time preserve as much as needed for any future work needed. There might be compromises in the future, but again you seem like someone who understands this quite well. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

That last pic is too far and dark to be able to analyze anything.  If you're going to get a HT no matter what, at least go to a great doc.  Who's on your radar?  Have you had any consultations yet?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks Dr.  T

Aaron: yeah pic didn't turn out great, I'll take a better one to upload soon. HLC recommended 2300, Bisanga recommended 24-2600, and I am waiting on a recommendation from Ferreira. I am leaning towards Ferreira just from the little communication I have had with him and the results I have seen from him 

• Like 1