5020 FUE Scars - Shaved down with blade

I am not sure where is best to post this but I wanted to share my experience.

I have had FUE 5020 grafts over 2 days. 2 months into recovery now.

One of my major concerns was how the FUE scars would look if the transplant failed and I needed to shave my head right down to nothing with a blade.

I could not find many examples of this.

I am happy with the result so far and here is a picture. You can see one larger scar, but that was pre-existing before the surgery. The FUE dots are not very noticeable.

I hope this helps someone out there.

A6248EA9-CD9F-447B-8255-25479E4BE014.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Administrators

Wow thats incredible, have you had smp

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

perfectly executed. who was surgeon?

Dr Harold Ma in Singapore.

I am not sure if this is normal, but Dr Ma did all the punches and counted out loud every one, it was nice to hear and follow it. His team extracted as he went and would call out if each graft was good or transected, so he could adjust.

• Like 2

Thats crazy good, I don't see the scarring from the fue. Maybe if you have a shaved pic from before the procedure I would notice based on comparison.

Wonder how it would look if you got tanned to, maybe then it would be more visible.

Edited by ciaus

20 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Thats crazy good, I don't see the scarring from the fue. Maybe if you have a shaved pic from before the procedure I would notice based on comparison.

Wonder how it would look if you got tanned to, maybe then it would be more visible.

Very good request. Unfortunately I didn’t take any good pre-surgery shaved down with blade pics. This is the best I have:

Living in Singapore I will certainly spend time in the sun once fully recovered, so I will be sure to share more pictures with a tan. I think you are right and it has a lot to do with skin colour contrast to scar colour.

C288E70B-8F55-4A6B-97DB-457306394A2B.jpeg

Amazing... My skin color is the same as yours, I was worried about FUE scars too but its pretty much invisible when getting it done by good doctor, would you ever thinking to take another 4k FUE and just fill the gaps with BHT/SMP? It seems like your donor will remain extremely well even after additional 4-5k if you are willing to add destiny with SMP or some beard.

4 hours ago, Ron5566 said:

Amazing... My skin color is the same as yours, I was worried about FUE scars too but its pretty much invisible when getting it done by good doctor, would you ever thinking to take another 4k FUE and just fill the gaps with BHT/SMP? It seems like your donor will remain extremely well even after additional 4-5k if you are willing to add destiny with SMP or some beard.

Good question.

My main concern was scars, but I am extremely happy with how it looks in the donor area now. Skin to scar colour contrast and surgeon skill are definitely big factors.

I hope 5020 grafts will be enough for reasonable coverage and density on top. We will have to wait and see. I will share before and after photos at 6 months post-procedure (currently at 2).

I have seen the opinion that over-harvesting in the donor should be avoided, which I understand. In an ideal world of course this would be best.

However, I was shaving my head with a blade down to nothing every day for 7+ years. If I had to lose 100% of my donor but could have full coverage and density on top, that would still be an improvement from what I had as a bald guy anyway.

I have seen that SMP can go wrong into donor scar tissue. I am very happy that I feel I don’t need it after 5K FUE as my scars are so subtle.

But if after 12 months I still need more grafts to get reasonable density then I will reconsider.

I had the discussion with my Dr about punch size.

I was concerned about scars, so was pushing for the smallest possible punch size.

He explained that it is a balance, as the larger the punch, the lower the transaction rate, and also the higher the graft survival rate - even with an experienced surgeon.

I am happy I agreed to allow 0.9 punch, as my scars are still small enough not to be noticeable. I hope this will result in a higher graft survival rate, but will have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Thank you so much for posting these photos of your donor area.  I was very concerned about how FUE scars in the donor area would look after the extracted donor area healed.  It looks fantastic!  I am a daily head shaver, and I can honestly say that your shaved donor area looks identical to my shaved doner area.....AND I HAVE NEVER HAD A HAIR TRANSPLANT.  LOL😊.

2) Your doctor was the only one who touched your scalp, and he literally counted out loud the number and quality of each graft during surgery?  Wow! Talk about transparency!  Very impressive! 

What is the name of your surgeon, if you don't mind?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atown said:

1) Thank you so much for posting these photos of your donor area.  I was very concerned about how FUE scars in the donor area would look after the extracted donor area healed.  It looks fantastic!  I am a daily head shaver, and I can honestly say that your shaved donor area looks identical to my shaved doner area.....AND I HAVE NEVER HAD A HAIR TRANSPLANT.  LOL😊.

2) Your doctor was the only one who touched your scalp, and he literally counted out loud the number and quality of each graft during surgery?  Wow! Talk about transparency!  Very impressive! 

What is the name of your surgeon, if you don't mind?

Thanks bro.

Honestly, when I shave my head right down with a blade, to me it looks just the same as it did before the surgery. This is a big relief for me.

I am still in month 2 of recovery, so I will share full photos at 6 months to share if the procedure worked. I am hoping for a high graft survival rate, but cannot tell yet.

At least if it fails, I know that I can just continue shaving my head without worrying about scars. 

1 minute ago, SingaporeHairTransplant said:

Thanks bro.

Honestly, when I shave my head right down with a blade, to me it looks just the same as it did before the surgery. This is a big relief for me.

I am still in month 2 of recovery, so I will share full photos at 6 months to share if the procedure worked. I am hoping for a high graft survival rate, but cannot tell yet.

At least if it fails, I know that I can just continue shaving my head without worrying about scars. 

I certainly wish you the best! 

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 10/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, SingaporeHairTransplant said:

SMP 7 years ago but just on top. None in scars.

You’re a mutant haha the pale skin is the reason why you can’t see them. I’ve got lightish olive skin, you’ll see mine if I shave .

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 4:25 AM, SingaporeHairTransplant said:

SMP 7 years ago but just on top. None in scars.

I wonder - how does the SMP look after 7 years? is it still there? or like the blurry blueish areas after the pigment starts to fade?

• Valued Contributor

That's a perfect skin color/scar color match! 👍 One thing to add though is if you are keeping your head or donor area shaved or buzzed short, keep the scars out of the sun for at least 12 months. When I had my first botched hair transplant I thought that the sun will promote hair growth!! 😬 It only made the scarring worse. All the best and I look forward to your future updates. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

I know many of you have seen this picture that I've posted many times but it seems relevant again here.  This picture was taken 2 years after having 5,125 grafts removed.  The donor area marked provided about 1,750 grafts.

image.jpeg.18d97b8a0e8c7ea17bf44e2a47acf22e.jpeg

• Like 2

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.