Calling all FUT patients

I see a lot of FUE patients but I'd like to hear from anyone that has had a recent FUT procedure and would be willing to share their experiences.

Wanted to know how your experience was with FUT, and why you made the choice of choosing FUT over FUE?

Also, how has the scar healed? has it stretched or caused any tightness in your scalp?

Appreciate any input

• Administrators

@MikeV had a recent procedure with Dr. Bloxham send him a pm.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Also check out tbcruz

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

13 hours ago, Guano said:

Wanted to know how your experience was with FUT, and why you made the choice of choosing FUT over FUE?

Also, how has the scar healed? has it stretched or caused any tightness in your scalp?

Fut was very different healing wise in the donor. Didn’t hurt more but just a little more tender. My experience in the recipient area is way better. This time around grafts were packed in way tighter and I believe I had a lot more grafts survive as well.

I chose fut over fue because of the research I did. I wanted to give myself the best possible outcome. Based on my research, fut was what would do it for me. Also I knew if I did fue again and the results were not good I wouldn’t be in a good situation.

• Like 1

@Tbcruz

I'm pretty much in a similar situation as you dude, I had roughly the same amount of grafts with FUE and the results are worse than anticipated. I'm in a position where I'm strongly considering getting FUT but I want to make sure I'm 100% set on it.

The scarring is putting me off, I know FUE has scarring I'm well aware but I normally wear my hair short on the sides. How has it affected your styling?

Also, how many more ops did Bloxham say you could possibly have in the future given your current donor situation?

I chose FUT because I have an advanced balding pattern. In order to maximise the donor, the general consensus is to go FUT first time round.
My scalp was pretty loose, so that helped. Tommorow will be one month since my procedure, and I do not have any tightness in my scalp anymore. 
First 2-3 weeks were slightly tight. I did not have any pain, but just slight tenderness in the donor area.
Let me know if you have further questions or you can PM me as well.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:43 AM, Guano said:

@Tbcruz

I'm pretty much in a similar situation as you dude, I had roughly the same amount of grafts with FUE and the results are worse than anticipated. I'm in a position where I'm strongly considering getting FUT but I want to make sure I'm 100% set on it.

The scarring is putting me off, I know FUE has scarring I'm well aware but I normally wear my hair short on the sides. How has it affected your styling?

Also, how many more ops did Bloxham say you could possibly have in the future given your current donor situation?

Hey @Guano sorry for late response super busy. 

I can relate exactly to how you are feeling. It took me a long time to pull the trigger, I did a lot of research and went through a lot of threads.

the fut scar was my biggest concern as well. Not because of changing my hair style ( usually would get a high skin tight fade) but because I was scared if I didn’t get the results I wanted up top I would not only have a failed ht procedure I would also have a scar across the back of head. I don’t mind changing my hair style (lower fade) for more hair on top of head which worked out for me 🤞🏻.

that was something I asked him when we did that video and he’s said he thinks 2 more. Plan is to tap out with fut and to finish it all up if I need to, go to @Eugenix Hair Science   To put beard hair into scar and maybe add density all over.

I went with FUT because of the advice of Dr Feller. I wear my hair longer so having a scar was never a concern - I've never noticed it and honestly don't give it any thought. 

I've had absolutely 0 problems as a result of my FUT procedure, the only effect i've had is a completely rebuilt hairline and thickening of the mid scalp. 

The procedure itself was painless and weirdly relaxing. There was a lot of short, sharp pain removing the staples, I did that myself / with family and it did hurt...but it wouldn't stop me going though it again for my crown. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

@naakmuka

Sorry for the late one bro I didn't see your reply. Was this your first HT & who'd you go with?

@Tbcruz 

It's good to have someone in a similar position, getting screwed over by FUE plus the severe shock just makes me regret with not going strip to begin with. I'm happy its working out for you dude, hows the density in terms of going out in the sunlight and other settings such as bars etc..

@TommyLucchese

That's reassuring man, how's your hair loss progressed since then? 

7 hours ago, Guano said:

@TommyLucchese

That's reassuring man, how's your hair loss progressed since then? 

I've been stabilised for over 10 years now, it was stable for 2 years due to fin/minox and then I had my HT age 23. Very conservative hairline to save grafts for down the road.....definitely will need this crown done at some point, but it's stable and concealer and longer hair is doing the job for now. You'd never know my hair loss background if you saw me walking down the street.

I don't want to preach FUT - in my time away from the forums it seems FUE has really come into its own. All I can say is it's really worked out for me - my advice if you go for it is choose a top doctor, pay the money and hope for the best!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

@naakmuka 

Saw him on the baldtruth youtube channel recently but i just saw your post about your scar? Have you brought it up with him

@TommyLucchese

Good to hear brother, i'm sure a top up wouldn't be much trouble aside from the financial burden. After wasting 1500 grafts i'm treading carefully, my hairline was conservative also but i definitely need mote to beef up the area due to lack of growth/shock loss.

I emailed Fellers office and Dr Bloxham reckons 1800 grafts will do the trick. At this stage given the current state of my hair i think FUT might be more sensible than FUE and even down the line i could possibly fix the scar with other grafts via fue.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Have you updated your thread? If I recall you’re not at a year yet. I know we had issues with your surgeon in the past and his shady rep, but I think it’s fair to give it some time. Looking forward to your update.

View my thread

On 10/14/2020 at 7:34 AM, Guano said:

@TommyLucchese

Good to hear brother, i'm sure a top up wouldn't be much trouble aside from the financial burden. After wasting 1500 grafts i'm treading carefully, my hairline was conservative also but i definitely need mote to beef up the area due to lack of growth/shock loss.

I emailed Fellers office and Dr Bloxham reckons 1800 grafts will do the trick. At this stage given the current state of my hair i think FUT might be more sensible than FUE and even down the line i could possibly fix the scar with other grafts via fue.

Thank you! 

Yeah I think it's best to be cautious... I have huge respect for Dr Feller and he gave me a great result. Dr Bloxham seems to have a very good reputation too so I'm sure you'd be in good hands. If the line of thinking still holds up that you can utilise more donor with FUT and then use FUE to get even more after that, then your plan sounds good to me. 

All I can really say definitively is that FUT worked out well for me and I will have no problems having another strip taken when I want this crown sorted out. For that I have Hasson & Wong in mind unless the HT landscape seriously changes by then. 

Good luck - consult with some different doctors who have different opinions on FUE v FUT and your case. Make as informed a decision as you can.