Is it bad for your hair to use Dermmatch and hairspray every day?

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Coady said:

I got a transplant in the front but my crown is thin. I was thinking of using dermmatch and hairspray on it every day to cover it. Would that be bad for your hair ? Would it progress baldness in that area? 
@Melvin-Moderator I think you would have a good idea. 

It wouldn’t affect the hair in anyway, I’ll say this, you should wash it our regularly, as I’ve personally found more than three days of not washing it out irritates my scalp. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...

I was actually going to ask about this !

1.Since i got a transplant on the hairline , would applying dermmatch and/or fibers to my crown everyday be an issue ? 

2. Would applying concealers during the 12 month growth window be an issue after a hair transplant ?

3.if dermmatch dosent come off with water. How is it removed after ?

Edited by andrew11

On 1/11/2021 at 4:40 PM, andrew11 said:

I was actually going to ask about this !

1.Since i got a transplant on the hairline , would applying dermmatch and/or fibers to my crown everyday be an issue ? 

2. Would applying concealers during the 12 month growth window be an issue after a hair transplant ?

3.if dermmatch dosent come off with water. How is it removed after ?

1. Wait 2, maybe 3 weeks to be extra safe, after the hair transplant before you start applying and then no issue applying it daily.

2. no, start as soon as question 1 answer and no problems applying it during the next 12 months

3. dermmatch is formulated to come off with just about any mixture of 'detergent' and water -detergent being a shampoo/body wash/soap that produces foam when mixed with water. The soap molecules latch on to the dermmatch and break it down, and then it washes off.

1 minute ago, ciaus said:

1. Wait 2, maybe 3 weeks to be extra safe, after the hair transplant before you start applying and then no issue applying it daily.

2. no, start as soon as question 1 answer and no problems applying it during the next 12 months

3. dermmatch is formulated to come off with just about any mixture of 'detergent' and water -detergent being a shampoo/body wash/soap that produces foam when mixed with water. The soap molecules latch on to the dermmatch and break it down, and then it washes off.

Thank you !

I am a little past 6 months now and am new to the world of concealers so it will be a new experience. From what i see they do an awesome job to enhance the look 

3 minutes ago, andrew11 said:

I am a little past 6 months now and am new to the world of concealers so it will be a new experience. From what i see they do an awesome job to enhance the look 

No problem, copy/pasting one of my posts from a previous forum thread here, my tips based on my own experience. Also check out the link below to the forum moderator's video showing how he applies it. Best of luck.

========================On applying dermmatch:

I started applying it when my hair was wet because more of the scalp is exposed when your hair is wet and clumped together, but its actually better to apply it when your hair/scalp are dry. Don''t even wet the applicator, everything being dry is best.

Do some experimentation/evaluation before going out into the world with it. One thing to be very aware of is the effect of LIGHTING -indoor/outdoor/sunlight on how it looks  -don't just apply it in your bathroom and assume because it looks great in the mirror that its going to look great in the other lighting conditions you are going to be in. Brighter indoor lighting and outdoor/sunlight require more finesse. Take some pictures, a mirror with you outside, etc the other lighting situations you are normally in, and then compare them with how you looked in the bathroom mirror. That will help you find the best application method.

Shorter hair makes it easier to comb through so that it applies more evenly across your hair shafts to give a more consistent look, but then there's how close of a match your natural hair is with the dermatch. I consider my hair color to be light brown, but medium brown was the best match. Even the dark brown looks alright on the top but then I would have to apply it to the sides of my hair too for a consistent look. Anyway, the darker your hair the more consistent your results will look in my opinion, seems to be in terms of how light reflects off everything -darker colors absorb light while lighter colors reflect it, more color variations in reflections.

I would apply it mostly for the scalp coverage and to thicken up the hairs, then have a little dry towel to rub over the top of my hair to clear off the excess that can also give your hair a dull look if you apply too much. And then I would sprinkle on the toppik fibers - a slightly better match for my hair color as well, and then comb that through, then style and hairspray.

It can be a great way to strategically plan and delay HTs, but the more you continue to loose the more difficult it gets to effectively apply.

=================

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ciaus said:

I always bought mine through amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=dermmatch&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Awesome Thank you ! Seems they dont have them in stores here. I wonder if there are other brands who make the same product, i have to search more thoroughly haha if not ordering could be a great option.