Curious question

Yes - It does happen, and there has been a few threads over the last couple of years on this very forum which have demonstrated this. 

It doesn't reflect whether or not the surgery has been hit or miss, I guess ultimately it probably boils down to ones physiology, however I believe some surgeons attribute it to the grafts being exposed to as minimal trauma as possible via very careful handling/time out the body. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

It’s rare but it has happened, check out life of steve, he went to Dr. Reddy, his grafts never shed. He documented every day of his hair transplant. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Starting or resuming minoxidil after the transplant may increase the likelihood of no shed. There was a study below with some results and suggesting further study. The study has them starting the therapy within days of the transplant though, which is risky in terms of potentially damaging the grafts by touching, etc during the applications if you are doing it yourself. Maybe if you live or are nearby your clinic where you have the procedure done they can apply it the first 5 days when the grafts are most vulnerable. **But then if you have used minoxidil and know that it makes your skin itch somewhat, be aware that you are already going to be fighting the urge to itch from the healing process anyway. There's also low dose oral minoxidil, but you would want to run that by your doctor because it can potentially have cardiovascular side effects, especially if you are overweight, already have high blood pressure and taking a med for it.

In general though, this is only going to put you ahead of the curve by a few months, probably not worth it to try, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones anyway based on your physiology and good handling of the grafts throughout the whole extraction/insertion process.

Twelve patients, aged 21 to 60 years, with varying Hamilton classifications of androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness) were treated with a 3% solution of topical minoxidil. Therapy began 48 to 72 hours after hair transplant surgery. Two patients demonstrated hair growth in the grafts without the shedding that usually occurs 2 to 4 weeks after surgery. (In untreated patients after hair transplant surgery, regrowth begins 3 to 5 months after surgery, after the shedding period.) A review of the literature--and personal discussions with surgeons whose hair transplant experience spans 25 years--revealed no evidence of a similar report. In addition, two of the remaining 10 patients had regrowth less than 4 weeks after postsurgical telogen effluvium.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3558912/

Edited by ciaus

Over the past decade, the instrumentation continued to refine and become less invasive, subsequently the overall level of trauma was lowered and as a result, some of the the grafts continued on in their growth phase instead of retreating into the telogen resting phase.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Shedding sucks! I experienced it all 3 times. Although your right some implanted hair never shed. Even on my second where I did not touch my crown, my crown shed big time! I even did the minoxidil and laser helmet 2 weeks after surgery. 

It's the overall trauma to the scalp that can induce shedding, even to the neighboring areas that are outside of the recipient area.

And it's not just the incisions that bring trauma, the fluids that are injected into the scalp can also impact it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY