Any U.K. clinics accurately assess donor area

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to get an understanding of how good my donor area is to help me in the process of deciding where to get a HT, mostly in terms of FUT v FUE v Nothing.

I had a consultation with a Harley street clinic and the patient manager had a look at my hair for about 10 seconds and said it was ‘average’ and that some on the side showed small signs of being miniaturised.

I’d like to know everything about it in terms of FUs per sqcm, hairs per FU, overall safe area etc rather than just a quick eyeball.

Does anyone know any U.K. based clinics which look with a microscope and carry analysis with some detail? 

Here’s a few pics of my donor to help for the curious

881F3CBC-422A-4F16-828D-2A9E49A3CEAF.jpeg

09733C18-E0F7-4CC5-B0A3-94FCF774D5A3.jpeg

4BF1A80D-4C76-4BD8-BA97-CCD08D73A53D.jpeg

8BD05C7C-77EA-4447-AF95-A2690A6A53CE.jpeg

And the other U.K. recommended surgeon on this site Dr Farjo charges £95 for a consultation which is described on their website as an informal discussion. I’d be willing to pay the money for a quality inspection but not if it’s just got to be a quick look then talk about the process.

• Administrators

You can send a consultation through our link, and if you still don’t receive a reply, please let me know.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/surgeon-list/UK/United-Kingdom

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Sneak said:

Thanks, I just checked them and they require a £50 zoom call in 6 weeks then another wait for a face to face consultation for £150 and not sure if they do anything other than eyeball it.

Well thats insane, the UK clinics really do take the Michael when it comes to pricing. 

I'm not overly opposed against clinics charging for a consultation when you are going to have a thorough donor assessment and its with a doctor, because after all, it's time in their day and they are providing a service - often there is a show of good faith to take the cost of the consultation off the final price of surgery if you proceed to go ahead there etc. thats fine. 

But £50 for a zoom call with someone who's probably not going to be a surgeon, and then a £150 consultation after that is pretty steep IMO. 

Ultimately it puts patients off from shopping around and consulting with various surgeons, which I think is a very important part of the process. 

• Like 1

From the photos your nape has clearly thinned and probably you will have similar above the ears. Yes is it really important to get checked by someone who is thorough.  I spoke to a UK patient recently who paid good money for a UK consultation and got zero empirical data and they didn't even recognise drastic retrograde alopecia. Another went to a London clinic and was told he had 40,000 grafts in his donor (no measurements done at all) ...laughable yet sad also.

Considering a good donor is 180cm2, so it means he had the density of Chewbacca to have 40k...It amazes me how some have really no understanding at all as to what they are saying and pull figures out of the air. Thankfully times are changing and technology is here to be accurate and record images so it is not an opinion that is totally subjective but becomes more fact driven and an accurate assessment to then plan upon. 

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• Valued Contributor

Personally if you are in the UK then I would be looking further abroad. Look at some of the work coming out of Belgium. No offense but from what I have seen from the UK (London more to the point) there are far more success stories and less unhappy ones overseas compared to the UK. I really have to say that you are doing everything right in looking at your donor availability, etc for what might be two to three surgeries over the lifespan. Kudos to you and your research and wishing you all the best.

• Like 1

Hi Gatsby that’s what I’m thinking as well but I want to have a clear assessment of my donor area now to understand if it’s worth continuing forward to surgery in 6 months or so once I know how finasteride affects me etc. I don’t love the idea of having to take a plane over to Europe just for a consultation then another in 6 months for the surgery. 

22 hours ago, sl said:

From the photos your nape has clearly thinned and probably you will have similar above the ears. Yes is it really important to get checked by someone who is thorough.  I spoke to a UK patient recently who paid good money for a UK consultation and got zero empirical data and they didn't even recognise drastic retrograde alopecia. Another went to a London clinic and was told he had 40,000 grafts in his donor (no measurements done at all) ...laughable yet sad also.

Considering a good donor is 180cm2, so it means he had the density of Chewbacca to have 40k...It amazes me how some have really no understanding at all as to what they are saying and pull figures out of the air. Thankfully times are changing and technology is here to be accurate and record images so it is not an opinion that is totally subjective but becomes more fact driven and an accurate assessment to then plan upon. 

Hi Stephen, thanks for the analysis on my neck and that’s why it’s so important to get a full analysis of my donor using good technology. If I do have thinning there and that makes my donor smaller that feeds into the fut v Fue decision or whether I truly have enough to get the coverage/density which would make it worth it to go on this journey. I can’t believe there aren’t numerous clinics offering a comprehensive assessment of ones donor in london, I thought it would be easy. I’ll keep on looking!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You can send a consultation through our link, and if you still don’t receive a reply, please let me know.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/surgeon-list/UK/United-Kingdom

Cheers, I sent this quite recently so will leave it another few days and if no response then apply through here 

• Like 1