Telogen (Resting Phase) How long???

Greetings:   I know the telogen phase is about 3 months under normal circumstances.  How long does it take all grafts to pop out after surgery?  I know the maturation process takes almost a year but when can you tell your not getting anymore new grafts  popping out.  Does surgical trauma cause grafts to remain dormant longer than three months.  Why would it take a graft 6 or 8 months to show itself if telogon is 3-4 months.  I cant find an explanation for this disparity anywhere.

thanx...

The word "sometimes" comes to mind.  There are millions of people in this earth so anything can happen. But typically, 3 months.  The issue, however, is the fact the quality of the hair is different when it first starts.  It is vellus-like.  It then takes a full year to mature.  Eventually the hair will match the characteristics of what you have in the donor, (as it is there if came from).  

Sometimes the hair can start growing from day 1.  This just means this particular patient is ahead of everyone else by 3 months.  But it means nothing.  

Sometimes it can take 12-18 months to get a matured result.  

There are many conditions out there that can have an effect on hair.

• Administrators

It takes 6-8 months because because even though the new hair may sprout, it starts off as a vellus baby hair, so it’s difficult to see. Hairs like people take time to grow and mature. By 6-8 months the hairs are adolescent age, not fully grown yet, but getting there. The hair is fully grown and matured by 18 months. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agrree...it can be very difficult to see all of the regrowth when it first commences...the hair shafts slowly build up their hair shaft diameter (caliber) but as Melvin stated, this takes time to grow and fully mature.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY