Hi everyone

New here!

I'm 21 years old and have really thin hair on the top and front hairline. 

I'm looking for a hair transplant clinic and came across hair growrh centre (HGS) in Birmingham. 

They are quiet cheap. 

I'm also looking at surgery group in Doncaster. 

Anyone been to any of these places? 

Any ideas, thoughts,recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Any advice on a decent hair clinic who you can trust. Who won't rip me off and mess up my hair!

• Administrators

First, you’re too young for surgery. Two, you’re asking the wrong questions. You should be asking who the best surgeon is based on real results, and not who’s the cheapest. Regardless, at 21 you should not be getting surgery.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You should not even consider a transplant before 25 years of age. Sorry to hear you already are balding at 21.

Any decent clinic won’t consider you until your 25. In the meantime you can consider starting Fin to retain what you do have.

This will give you plenty of time to research decent clinics. The Uk isn’t really known for too many top Drs.

So much more options if your willing to travel. Cyprus and Belgium for example.

18 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

You should not even consider a transplant before 25 years of age. Sorry to hear you already are balding at 21.

Any decent clinic won’t consider you until your 25. In the meantime you can consider starting Fin to retain what you do have.

This will give you plenty of time to research decent clinics. The Uk isn’t really known for too many top Drs.

So much more options if your willing to travel. Cyprus and Belgium for example.

Thanks for your reply. I just really wanted it done as I dont really want to use minoxidil. 

Whats the main concern with being this young and getting a hair transplant?

18 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

First, you’re too young for surgery. Two, you’re asking the wrong questions. You should be asking who the best surgeon is based on real results, and not who’s the cheapest. Regardless, at 21 you should not be getting surgery.

thank you. Yes I understand I may be asking the wrong questions. But at this age I just can't afford a transplany thats 10,000 pound for example. 

This has affected me for years and its getting to the point where I dont go out without a hoody on. 

Whats the main concern with my age? Why can't I just do it now and then get another one at a later stage if i bald again?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Umaan said:

thank you. Yes I understand I may be asking the wrong questions. But at this age I just can't afford a transplany thats 10,000 pound for example. 

This has affected me for years and its getting to the point where I dont go out without a hoody on. 

Whats the main concern with my age? Why can't I just do it now and then get another one at a later stage if i bald again?

Your donor hair may not be stable and you may find yourself in a bad situation. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 hours ago, azza786 said:

It's pot luck really I suppose...I know of guys who had HT under the age of 25...with moderate to advanced loss but their results stand till this day, looks good and donor looks fine.

I feel like my donar area is strong mate. Based on how my dads hairloss has been and his father's. Its always a strong.donar area and no hair on the top. 

But the main thing is weather I will have to use finestiride after or if I can use minoxidil.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Your donor hair may not be stable and you may find yourself in a bad situation. 

My donar hair is strong. Based on my dad and his dad as well, it's runs in the family that the top and hairline are weak

And the donar area is strong. My dads almost completely bald at the top but his donar area is very strong

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Umaan said:

My donar hair is strong. Based on my dad and his dad as well, it's runs in the family that the top and hairline are weak

And the donar area is strong. My dads almost completely bald at the top but his donar area is very strong

The donor may appear strong now, but could change in a few years trust me. 

View my thread

1 hour ago, Umaan said:

I feel like my donar area is strong mate. Based on how my dads hairloss has been and his father's. Its always a strong.donar area and no hair on the top. 

Can't go by feelings or even by dad's side of the family. There's a number of genes that go into whether you will have MPB and how severe it will be, some are from your mother's side and some from your father's side. You may have several generations of similar loss patterns, but then based on the unique genetic combination each of us comprises, end up being that outlier that will end up having a severe norwood 6/7 loss pattern. That's why waiting until at least until 25 is so important, you want to see how your unique genetics play out.

And minoxidil without finasteride is not going to help you hang on to your hair long term. You need a DHT blocker to protect your existing hair. Minxodil alone is just going to thicken your hair and lengthen the growth cycle until the DHT in your bloodstream destroys the hair follicles ability to produce visible hair.

11 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Can't go by feelings or even by dad's side of the family. There's a number of genes that go into whether you will have MPB and how severe it will be, some are from your mother's side and some from your father's side. You may have several generations of similar loss patterns, but then based on the unique genetic combination each of us comprises, end up being that outlier that will end up having a severe norwood 6/7 loss pattern. That's why waiting until at least until 25 is so important, you want to see how your unique genetics play out.

And minoxidil without finasteride is not going to help you hang on to your hair long term. You need a DHT blocker to protect your existing hair. Minxodil alone is just going to thicken your hair and lengthen the growth cycle until the DHT in your bloodstream destroys the hair follicles ability to produce visible hair.

Thank you for the detail. Yeah I know what your saying mate. I'm just at that point where im bloody fed up of looking at my hair situation in the mirror. 

Its absolutely self esteem damaging. 

I think everyone's right in the fact that finestiride is the way to go for now. 

I think I've been overthinking its dangers too much. 

Either that or I take a chance and hopefully my donar hair are strong. If they turn out to be crap whats the worst that will happen? My hair will just fall out again? That will happen either way. Weather I get the transaplant or not wont it? Atleast ill have some hair for a few years in my 20s instead of never having any decent hair. 

What jappens if I turn 25 and my donar have have started thinning? Atleast if I get a transplant now I had a full head of hair until 25 and then from then I could always begin finestiride?

I'm just thinking about all the choices so sorry if I seem like I'm not listening to what your saying. I am, I just want to make sure whatever I do is best for me to be able to have some hair during my 20s!

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Umaan said:

Thank you for the detail. Yeah I know what your saying mate. I'm just at that point where im bloody fed up of looking at my hair situation in the mirror. 

Its absolutely self esteem damaging. 

I think everyone's right in the fact that finestiride is the way to go for now. 

I think I've been overthinking its dangers too much. 

Either that or I take a chance and hopefully my donar hair are strong. If they turn out to be crap whats the worst that will happen? My hair will just fall out again? That will happen either way. Weather I get the transaplant or not wont it? Atleast ill have some hair for a few years in my 20s instead of never having any decent hair. 

What jappens if I turn 25 and my donar have have started thinning? Atleast if I get a transplant now I had a full head of hair until 25 and then from then I could always begin finestiride?

I'm just thinking about all the choices so sorry if I seem like I'm not listening to what your saying. I am, I just want to make sure whatever I do is best for me to be able to have some hair during my 20s!

What’s the worst that can happen? A LOT! Going bald is natural, a bad hair transplant is not. At your age medication is the first thing to do, in a couple of years if you stabilize then you can reconsider.

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

What’s the worst that can happen? A LOT! Going bald is natural, a bad hair transplant is not. At your age medication is the first thing to do, in a couple of years if you stabilize then you can reconsider.

Thank you. You've given me a lot to think about! I'm glad I've asked these questions before just jumping into this stuff. 

I think i need time to focus on myself first. My health mentally etc. Look into taking finestiride. Be confident and hopeful in that and myself. 

I feel like I'm probably not even mentally prepared yet to be going through with a hair transplant. 

Now im constantly worried about my hair, after my transplant ill just be the same. Constantly worrying it might fall. 

Once again thank you for the support. Its much appreciated

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Umaan said:

I think i need time to focus on myself first. My health mentally etc. Look into taking finestiride. Be confident and hopeful in that and myself. 

I feel like I'm probably not even mentally prepared yet to be going through with a hair transplant. 

Good call, you need to appreciate how much you are still going to care about how you look as you get older. I'm 43, take care of myself, excercise regularly, and I don't notice much difference from how I felt when I was in my mid 20s.  

I don't know about your feelings on getting married, but look at how many of those end in divorce with the guy having to go back out and try to attract another mate -in their 30s/40s/50s or even later. Do you really want to be doing that when you not only don't have much hair, but also have tranplant scarring you need to conceal, because all transplants, even FUE, will leave behind scarring.

And DHT damage is cumulative, you can't just wait until the last minute and start taking it to save your hairs. Finasteride lowers the DHT in your bloodstream, it doesn't eliminate it, which means the remaining that circulates over time can eventually be enough to take out your hair.

1 minute ago, ciaus said:

Good call, you need to appreciate how much you are still going to care about how you look as you get older. I'm 43, take care of myself, excercise regularly, and I don't notice much difference from how I felt when I was in my mid 20s.  

I don't know about your feelings on getting married, but look at how many of those end in divorce with the guy having to go back out and try to attract another mate -in their 30s/40s/50s or even later. Do you really want to be doing that when you not only don't have much hair, but also have tranplant scarring you need to conceal, because all transplants, even FUE, will leave behind scarring.

And DHT damage is cumulative, you can't just wait until the last minute and start taking it to save your hairs. Finasteride lowers the DHT in your bloodstream, it doesn't eliminate it, which means the remaining that circulates over time can eventually be enough to take out your hair.

Thank you so much. I agree in the fact that my health needs to come first. I cant risk my anxiety getting worse. And all this is going to do is increase it. So I'll speak to my GP about finestiride and go from there. But i understand now why transplant may not be a good idea. 

Take care all and thank you so much for all the advice.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:08 PM, Umaan said:

Hey mate,

Not sure how your donor area is but atleast like you say, your dad has strong donor area which may mean that you retain the same for a while. I'm sure in a few years, more treatments will come out.

In my case, I'm absolutely buggered...not only have I received mpb from both sides of the family, but also my dad's donor area is thin and has been for the last 15 years or so...at my age, the quality of his hair was not strong.

I suspect that in terms of my current donor area thinness, it can also be attributed to the strips taken out and FUE...could have been a different story had I not had any HTs at all.

But ye...as it stands, to add to my stressful life, the hair god's have Def not been on my side.

I have got the full-whack:

- receded/loss in hairline

- temple points- gone

-crown- gone

- donor area- we can all see what's happened to that

- advanced hairloss pattern

-for the past few years- increase in hairs that are going white

Take it from me, at your age, it could be a gamble..may come off or no so really make an informed decision about it.

Thanks

3608 grafts with dr h.rahal, june 2007

1623 grafts- dr h. rahal, november 2008

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

First, you should share pics to understand your situation. There are plenty of introduction threads as example. 

Second, if you are losing hair at 21 and not even willing to take minox...this is most likely not to end well. Hairloss is a lifelong fight, which you cannot win if you are not committed.

Third, the clinics you are looking into are completely unknown which gives a 99 % chance that they will butcher you. 

Fourth, there are many affordable clinics out there which have a proven track record. But you need to travel and we do not know if you are a candidate at all. 

Fifth, you do not even understand the basics of a HT yet, you need to read, read, read ... if you had a transplant there is a big chance you cannot shave if you lose hair later. The scars will be visible for most patients. 

This is a lifelong battle and a HT is a life altering procedure. What sounds like a lot of money now, maybe be nothing for you in a couple of years. 

On 9/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, Umaan said:

I'm 21 years old and have really thin hair on the top and front hairline. 

I'm looking for a hair transplant clinic and came across hair growrh centre (HGS) in Birmingham. 

They are quiet cheap. 

Two things that can go wrong at your age:

1. The donor you use turns out to be susceptible to balding, meaning it won't last and will fall out at some point.

2. The donor stays, but you have an aggressive hair loss, leaving this strange looking patch of transplanted hair with a bunch of bald area behind it.

The reason to wait is to find out what your long term end point is in terms of hair loss, then plan transplantation around that scenario.