Sneak’s Microneedling Adventure

Sneak

Hello everyone,

I've just started researching transplants and hair loss treatment in the last week after a 10 year stint of dodgy comb-overs, dangerously thin hair and denial about the extent of its departure.

The basics about me:
- Receeding hairline since 20, now 30
- Medium width hair, curls when longer 
- Always had a comb forward messy hair style to try and cover up the hairline. This became harder and harder especially as I started working in an office.

For some fun here's a breakdown of the last week, of my thoughts and actions as I've slowly begun whirling down the rabbit hole of this strange world.

Wednesday
- Decided to look into a transplant and if it wasn't possible just do a buzz cut
- I had heard Turkey was well-renowned but many clinics and results looked dodgy so I moved on
- Ordered Finasteride, Minoxidil foam, Biotin and Nizoral after reading a reddit thread

Thursday
- Looked much closer to home in London where I'm based and booked a consultation at hshclinic of Wayne Rooney fame
- I saw hairsite and sent pictures to ASMED, HDC and BHR interested in FUE after looking at their top list in Europe

Friday
- ASMED responded first, were friendly, I liked the idea of getting a lot of grafts in one session and they had impressive transformations on their youtube 
- I booked a 5000 FUE transplant with Dr Erdogan for three weeks time @ 12500 EUR
- Tried to pay a 3000 EUR deposit through revolut but was stopped at the last moment as they needed the address of the receiving Turkish branch which I didn't have then

Saturday
- Learn from my consultation at hsclinic my donor is "average" from a quick eyeball by the Dr
- Have second thoughts about ASMED due to seeing some negative results on the forums with see-through hair lines and poor growth
- Ordered a dermapen Ultima A6 after seeing Shifty's thread

Sunday
- Cancelled the surgery with ASMED and decided not to rush into anything for the next few months
- Deep dived into the forums on the best FUE surgeons and like the look of Bruno Ferreira and Bisanga for FUE
- Discover that FUT hasn't been cast away completely and is even preferred for high NW people

Monday
- Discover Hattingen and am very impressed with their specialty of large graft FUT on high Norwood people, their results on the foreign forums and reputation of ethical standards. I also really like Switzerland for some reason without ever having been there.

Tuesday:
- Receive my Ultima A6 pen and torture myself with it, seriously I must be a massive wimp as it hurts like hell!

Wednesday:
- Make this thread

This could have been a cautionary tale of rushing into decisions too quickly had I not been stopped by a tiny detail before sending over a deposit to ASMED (I know there are many people with great results there but it's not the right choice for me I think).
A week ago I had the mindset that I needed to do a burst of research and then just pick somewhere, partially because everyone is WFH so it's a good time to get one done without showing others, but mostly I was reacting emotionally and wanted to fix the issue quickly after deciding to act.
I even specifically thought at the beginning "don't research too much or you'll end up not booking one now". Well, after researching more, I haven't booked one and it was the right choice. I want to see how my hair and body react to finasteride for 6 months, whether minoxidil and dermarolling makes a difference and most of all I want to be very comfortable that I've taken my bet on a clinic with the highest chance of success.

I'm sure I'll have more moments of understanding like during this week so if anyone who has been around for a long time and researched this thoroughly has any more insights I would be very grateful!

What's the point of this thread then? It's to introduce myself and to track any progress with the big 4 treatments over the next 6 months, keeping myself accountable and motivated - then I'll make a separate post for when/if I decide to do a transplant.

My routine I'm starting at the moment is:

- Finasteride 1mg per day
- Minoxidil foam once per day
- Vitamin D3 drops once per day
- Nizarol twice a week
- Dermapen once a week

Here's a couple pics of my hair as of the other day with a lamp shone on it, one of the treatments and one after my first dermapen session.

24FCB406-9237-4A0C-9BE0-587087FF6178.jpeg

8454A653-6B38-4F09-B097-E67E8D369735.jpeg

A2899915-99C6-485E-8E2E-0790389ECC84.jpeg

EBE942D8-AE77-4444-AF8C-53231B5C0D0E.jpeg

Edited by Sneak

Very relieved to read you cancelled the original one!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

You did the right thing in waiting. Start slow with Fin...every 3 days for a week or two, then every other day for a week after that.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Yeah I rushed into it and am so glad I did the extra research to steer me towards surgeons that will be better for my situation as well as just taking some more time. If that deposit had gone through I probably would have done it!

• 3 months later...