Taking the plunge with Topical Finasteride / MinoxidilMax

TommyLucchese

I'm on my last bottle of Rogaine foam and have probably 2 months left of Proscar.

I've been very curious about topical fin for the last month since reading about it here as I've still not recovered fully from the damage Aindeem 1mg did to me 2 years ago.

Decided to try 3 months of a topical 6% minoxidil and 0.5% finasteride combo. There's some much stronger ones available on MinoxidilMax but I thought this would be a gentler way to start.

I'll update this with my thoughts over the next 3-4 months.

Has anyone tried MinoxidilMax before?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

Where are you getting the topical fin? Are you getting it compounded. I would be curious to see your DHT levels now, and when you start using the topical fin, to see if it actually removes DHT levels systemically.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Don't know if I can post links here anymore but if you Google minoxidilmax and look at their products you'll see what they have to offer. Lots of variations of fin/minox with azelaic acid, caffeine, retinoic acid. 

To be honest I'm not sure what to expect as there isn't a huge amount if info out there about them...I've taken the plunge while I still have more foam and Proscar to fall back on if something goes wrong.

Yes I'd love to know how 10 years of Propecia / Proscar / Aindeem has impacted my body.

These last 2 years have not been kind side-effect wise but my hair looks great, so I'm wondering how my 3 month supply (plus a 1 free month of 7% minoxiil and 1.5mg fin combo) will affect things. 

I'm just hoping my hair stays the same but the sides vanish. I calculate that a year of minoxidilmax products will work out roughly the same price as Rogaine 5% foam plus Proscar here in the UK.

I'll keep you all updated.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

There was another topic in this section that mentioned minoxidilmax and I checked out their website. Like I said then I would be careful because they seem less than business professional, in terms of what they tell you about their operations/mission/ and contact methods.

Have you considered the "Morr F" formula being sold on ebay that one of the doctor members here recommended on this thread?

Yes your post actually made me reconsider, but I just feel it's worth a try now. It's only a 3 month supply and around £90 so worth the risk for me.

No I haven't heard of Morr F - I'm not too well-versed in Ebay to be honest. I'll check that now, thanks.

[edit] Looks good, if this minoxidilmax doesn't work out I'll definitely try that Morr F. Cheers for the tip.

Edited by TommyLucchese

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, Curious said:

I just received my package of Morr F topical.  It's 5% minoxidil and .1% finasteride.  It comes with a sprayer and a dropper.  I would prefer that it not have any minoxidil in it.

Is your scalp tolerating it ok? Which brand did you get?

On 9/26/2020 at 4:24 PM, Curious said:

I just received my package of Morr F topical.  It's 5% minoxidil and .1% finasteride.  It comes with a sprayer and a dropper.  I would prefer that it not have any minoxidil in it.

I've seen a few different Morr F products - you can definitey get a fin and 3% minoxidil combo and possibly even a just fin solution.

You can definitely get a fin-only solution on Minoxidil Max.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, ryan-str said:

Is your scalp tolerating it ok? Which brand did you get?

I am following the advice of someone on here and trying it on my arm for a few days to see how my skin reacts. I've seen their website mentions that some products can irritate the skin so they have products that are advertised as NO PG which apparently deals with that problem?

I'll be back with updates. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 3 weeks now... so far so good. Happy with the service, the presentation of the product and the ease of use. 

The end goal is basically for no change to my hair while completely eradicating the sides I got from a fin brand 2 years ago. I want to keep the results I've got from propecia / proscar and rogaine foam.

So I doubt I'll be reporting any regrowth, no needs = good news in this instance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of new hairs all over, even within my HT. The "corners" of my hairline are also starting to close up although the hair is not dark and thick right now....not sure if it will ever become that. I don't know if this is due to the meds or since I started dermarolling around the same time.

I might be getting a side effect though - flaky forehead and light red markings over my face and forehead. Regular moisturising gets rid of it but it comes back after a while, even today when I haven't used any topical fin/minox for a week. 

Because of working from home I've spent more time in the sun this year than in the last 15 years, and I had noticed some very light flaking over the summer, so it could be related. I do get eczema on my hands so this isn't the first dermatology issue. 

I didn't get any redness or flakyness from years on rogaine foam though so perhaps it's a reaction to the liquid? 

Either way, I'm happy to keep moisturising (I did so every morning before going to the office anyway) to keep away these symptoms. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 2:18 AM, TommyLucchese said:

Lots of new hairs all over, even within my HT. The "corners" of my hairline are also starting to close up although the hair is not dark and thick right now....not sure if it will ever become that. I don't know if this is due to the meds or since I started dermarolling around the same time.

I might be getting a side effect though - flaky forehead and light red markings over my face and forehead. Regular moisturising gets rid of it but it comes back after a while, even today when I haven't used any topical fin/minox for a week. 

Because of working from home I've spent more time in the sun this year than in the last 15 years, and I had noticed some very light flaking over the summer, so it could be related. I do get eczema on my hands so this isn't the first dermatology issue. 

I didn't get any redness or flakyness from years on rogaine foam though so perhaps it's a reaction to the liquid? 

Either way, I'm happy to keep moisturising (I did so every morning before going to the office anyway) to keep away these symptoms. 

I’m thinking of buying topical finasteride only place I can find it is on eBay coming from India though?

17 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

I’m thinking of buying topical finasteride only place I can find it is on eBay coming from India though?

i get mine from minoxidilmax but yeah apparently Morr-F from India on ebay is really good too 

Hi Tommy - so hows it going with the sideeffects? Did you have any libido/other sexual side effects when on oral finasteride?

I have bought the DualGen-15 Plus from MinoxidilMax. Apparently it is 15% Minoxidil and 0.1% Finasteride (it says that this means 1mg of fin, which is the same as you take orally, right?). You say you have something from them with 0.5% Fin? That sounds extreme, as all the trials I have seen has 0.25% at the highest - is that not correct understood?

But to be honest, I do not understand these percentages. In articles I have read about this, they talk about a solution percentage (in the following its 0.25%), but they also talk about a amount in mg fin for the solution - like fx 0,2275mg or 0,91mg); 

"The effects on scalp and serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) of different doses of a novel topical solu-tion of  0.25% nasteride  (P-3074), a  type 2 5α-reductase, were investigated in men with androgenetic  alopecia.  Methods:  Two  ran-domized,  parallel-group  studies  were  con-ducted. Study I: 18 men received 1 mL (2.275 mg) P-3074, applied to the scalp once a day (o.d.) or twice a day (b.i.d), or 1 mg oral tab-let o.d. for 1 week. Study II: 32 men received P-3074  at  the  dose  of  100  (0.2275  mg), 200  (0.455  mg),  300  (0.6285  mg),  or  400 (0.91 mg) µL or the vehicle o.d. for 1 week." ( https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285733679_Effects_of_a_novel_finasteride_025_topical_solution_on_scalp_and_serum_dihydrotestosterone_in_healthy_men_with_androgenetic_alopecia )

I'm really at a loss on whats enough and whats too much. I just want to get rid of the libido-decrease i have experienced from finasteride, but I really cannot find out how to compare the stuff from MinoxidilMax with the clinical trials I find online.

Have you tried to figure this out? Apparently the best solution is 0.25% but with only 0.2275mg or 0.455mg finasteride per ml. This doesn't make sense to me at all - have you looked into that? :-)

Thanks!

@TommyLucchese - how's the topical Finasteride working for you? Are you using it twice a day? Is it sticky , does it have any residue? Are you using in combination with proscar? I've been on Finasteride for like 10 years, last year saw some shedding which was pretty stable prior to that. Not sure what caused it but might add a topical to the mix. Just not sure how legit it is off the internet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 9:56 PM, deitel130 said:

@TommyLucchese - how's the topical Finasteride working for you? Are you using it twice a day? Is it sticky , does it have any residue? Are you using in combination with proscar? I've been on Finasteride for like 10 years, last year saw some shedding which was pretty stable prior to that. Not sure what caused it but might add a topical to the mix. Just not sure how legit it is off the internet.

There’s a YouTuber who did topical finasteride and had great results check him out richie z was his name 

On 12/12/2020 at 5:56 AM, deitel130 said:

Yeah it's a bit greasier than the foam I've been using for years. I use it once a day but not every day - at first that was a plan to ease the transition and not get sides, but I just sort of do it when I feel like it now. 3 times a week, maybe 4. 

It's been 3 months of topical and dermarolling, good results so far lots of new hairs and maintaining existing results.

On 12/13/2020 at 1:39 AM, Dillpickle123 said:

I heard you can make your own by crushing finasteride and putting it inside minxodil liquid?

Apparently so, I don't trust myself to do that correctly though and I don't see a cost benefit either based on what I paid for foam and fin compared to the topical combo I am on now

On 1/6/2021 at 3:05 AM, TommyLucchese said:

Apparently so, I don't trust myself to do that correctly though and I don't see a cost benefit either based on what I paid for foam and fin compared to the topical combo I am on now

Gonna try tretinoin and minoxidil first actually just found out about it gonna try it for a few months

9 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Gonna try tretinoin and minoxidil first actually just found out about it gonna try it for a few months

Never heard of that, I'll look into it

On 1/12/2021 at 1:36 AM, TommyLucchese said:

Never heard of that, I'll look into it

Helps with absorption, so for topical minox is it suppose to be placed all over the scalp or only where your thinning?? Will it only block dht where you put it? I would assume it’s gonna get into the blood anyways?

6 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Helps with absorption, so for topical minox is it suppose to be placed all over the scalp or only where your thinning?? Will it only block dht where you put it? I would assume it’s gonna get into the blood anyways?

I am not too sure about that. I think the official line is 1ml in the area where you have loss.....but I want my entire scalp to be thick and full, so I use probably 2.5ml and cover my entire scalp. This is to keep my donor strong, my HT strong, the midscalp strong etc. and not just my thinning crown. 

I don't use it every day though...probably 3 or 4 times a week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update for anyone following this (now or in the future) who is curious about topical fin/minox and or minoxidil max... I'm seeing great results on my hair but my face is paying the price.

Have noticed bags under my eyes since Christmas and today I am noticing wrinkles around my eyes, especially when I smile. These definitely weren't there before.

I got ID'd for a lottery ticket last year at age 30 and the girl behind the checkout couldn't believe my age. No chance I'd get ID'd right now.

I'm also getting very flaky forehead and red marks on my cheeks... I think it's time to look into the non propylene glycol version.

[edit] I might just get minoxidil max's fin-only topical (essegen F) and go back to rogaine 5% foam from minoxidil direct because that doesn't have the propylene glycol.

Edited by TommyLucchese

• Administrators
23 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

Update for anyone following this (now or in the future) who is curious about topical fin/minox and or minoxidil max... I'm seeing great results on my hair but my face is paying the price.

Have noticed bags under my eyes since Christmas and today I am noticing wrinkles around my eyes, especially when I smile. These definitely weren't there before.

I got ID'd for a lottery ticket last year at age 30 and the girl behind the checkout couldn't believe my age. No chance I'd get ID'd right now.

I'm also getting very flaky forehead and red marks on my cheeks... I think it's time to look into the non propylene glycol version.

[edit] I might just get minoxidil max's fin-only topical (essegen F) and go back to rogaine 5% foam from minoxidil direct because that doesn't have the propylene glycol.

Do you think that’s the minoxidil? I’ve always had bags under my eyes. The crowd feet, it happens when you do a big smile. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.