Diagnosis

Mat16

Hey everyone, i have joined this forum recently and have been told by almost everybody that i suffer from a male pattern baldness eventhough i thaught something else. I decided to go through a trichology examination few weeks ago and yesterday i got results. They looked at my scalp with a special microscope, took photos and sent it to Germany to the lab. Results say, that there is no sign of male pattern baldness on my head because they discovered that i have seborrhoeic dermatitis and that should be the cause of my hair loss (and maybe some hair cycle disorders). They said that i have normal average hair density, hair thickness, thin hair count and distribution of hairs in hair units. So my question is, do you think they could be right and this is the cause? Because i already gave up regarding to this matter but this gave me just a little bit of a small light. 

Polish_20200923_095913046.jpg

Edited by Mat16

• Administrators

Did you go to a dermatologist? Did they perform a biopsy. You have a receded hairline. I have never seen sebborheic dermatitis cause hair loss in a male pattern baldness pattern. Here is a picture of what sebborheic dermatitis hair loss looks like, does that look like your head? I don't even see any dermatitis on your scalp period. 

image.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

24 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Did you go to a dermatologist? Did they perform a biopsy. You have a receded hairline. I have never seen sebborheic dermatitis cause hair loss in a male pattern baldness pattern. Here is a picture of what sebborheic dermatitis hair loss looks like, does that look like your head? I don't even see any dermatitis on your scalp period. 

image.png

Im just telling you what they told me. No they did not perform any biopsy. They gave me these photos and that analysis below. And since it was hard for me to believe in that, i posted it here. But they seemed very confident.

20200923_161217.jpg

20200923_161201.jpg

Go to the derm and have them scope you.  Typically SD is most prevalent in the donor. And, if you do have some kind of condition, they can prescribe some type of steroid to help you.  Is this something you've always had? Are you itching all the time? Or just happened all of the sudden?

The photos of the scopes show mostly "thicker strands" and little to no miniaturization - but again we are doing this by observation. And, by looking at your photo, it seems you have little to no loss.  Perhaps you are experiencing a shedding phase? Have you noticed any hair in the tub, pillow, etc?

T

7 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Go to the derm and have them scope you.  Typically SD is most prevalent in the donor. And, if you do have some kind of condition, they can prescribe some type of steroid to help you.  Is this something you've always had? Are you itching all the time? Or just happened all of the sudden?

The photos of the scopes show mostly "thicker strands" and little to no miniaturization - but again we are doing this by observation. And, by looking at your photo, it seems you have little to no loss.  Perhaps you are experiencing a shedding phase? Have you noticed any hair in the tub, pillow, etc?

T

Well approximatelly 2 years ago, my hair started to thin very fast and also i was loosing so much of it. They looked very ill and oddly shaped, and mt scalp was feeling very unhealthy and unnatural. So yes i have noticed a lot of hair in the tub but then i cut my hair, now they are little bit longer and i cannot see any hair falling out and i am vefy careful when im searching the tub. And since i cut my hair, my scalp feels a lot better.

I think it is important to recognize there are two types of loss.  The type you see and they type you don't see.  What you see is shedding.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it takes a vacation.  This dormant period typically lasts 3-4 months.  The hair then returns.  This will happen randomly to all the hair in your head.  Hair loss is different

Under a bright light look at the hair in your temporal areas.  Notice the strands.  Some will be thicker than others.  This is called miniaturization. Eventually the hair is so fine you can't hardly see it and seems not to grow very well.  Ultimately this hair will wither away and disappear.  Once gone, it will never return. This is hair loss.

This may be all coincidental.  I would encourage you to visit with a derm or hair loss professional.  I would also discuss hair loss modalities. (And confirm if you are experiencing some kind of skin condition).

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Mat16 said:

Im just telling you what they told me. No they did not perform any biopsy. They gave me these photos and that analysis below. And since it was hard for me to believe in that, i posted it here. But they seemed very confident.

20200923_161217.jpg

20200923_161201.jpg

I would go to an actual doctor and not a trichologist, a dermatologist would need to diagnose you. But I’m 99.9% convinced it is not seborrheic dermatitis. I don’t see any signs in your pictures, certainly you’d be able to see signs if the condition is so severe it is causing hair loss. It’s easier to live in denial, than accept reality. But the sooner you accept reality, the better you’ll be. Take it from me.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would go to an actual doctor and not a trichologist, a dermatologist would need to diagnose you. But I’m 99.9% convinced it is not seborrheic dermatitis. I don’t see any signs in your pictures, certainly you’d be able to see signs if the condition is so severe it is causing hair loss. It’s easier to live in denial, than accept reality. But the sooner you accept reality, the better you’ll be. Take it from me.

Bro im not denying anything. As i said earlier it is also hard for me to believe that this would be the cause. I just wanted to ask people if there is any slight chance that these doctors are right.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Mat16 said:

Bro im not denying anything. As i said earlier it is also hard for me to believe that this would be the cause. I just wanted to ask people if there is any slight chance that these doctors are right.

Trichologist are not doctors, they should not be giving medical diagnosis’s. Only a dermatologist can diagnose you with seborrheic dermatitis. You would have flaking, itching, sores. You don’t even have any visible dandruff.  

View my thread

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Trichologist are not doctors, they should not be giving medical diagnosis’s. Only a dermatologist can diagnose you with seborrheic dermatitis. You would have flaking, itching, sores. You don’t even have any visible dandruff.  

Before i cut my hair, i had a lot of dandruff btw and my hair used to be quite greasy. And i have been having maybe two or three red dots/flakes that i saw in frontal area when my hair got thinner. Since i cut my hair, it has been rare to see any dandruff

19 minutes ago, Homeerestre said:

I'm waiting too to what might be the cause of your hair loss. 

In my mind i am already settled with this being MPB but since they told me there are no signs of any miniaturization i started wondering a bit

• 2 weeks later...

If it is really MPB then you may want to use Minoxidil as there were reports that beside slowing your hair to lose more, some men do grow their hair back after using it, but tend to lose them again after stopping to use it. As the others suggest, you can always have the skin of your hair check by dermatologists to finally clarify things about having seborrhoeic dermatitis . :)

Edited by Homeerestre