Dutasteride / Avodart - Considering

Kraistoff

Took finasteride for 8 months before deciding I wanted to play it safe and take dutasteride instead. It's been just short of a year now. I seem to have maintained in both cases.

The studies show that dutasteride has the same rate of side effects as finasteride, so assuming you haven't had any side effects from finasteride, I wouldn't worry about it.

However it is worth mentioning that if you do end up getting side effects, they will probably take longer to dissipate since dutasteride has a much longer half life, on the order of months.

25 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Took finasteride for 8 months before deciding I wanted to play it safe and take dutasteride instead. It's been just short of a year now. I seem to have maintained in both cases.

The studies show that dutasteride has the same rate of side effects as finasteride, so assuming you haven't had any side effects from finasteride, I wouldn't worry about it.

However it is worth mentioning that if you do end up getting side effects, they will probably take longer to dissipate since dutasteride has a much longer half life, on the order of months.

Thank you ,

how much do you take and how frequently / what intervals?

I’ve just ordered some, I’m going to take it twice a week (Monday and Thursday) and propecia every day in between. 

Bloody hell that’s hardcore . 

I’ll try twice a week with propecia in between as advised by Dr Erdogan . He showed my one of my triple grafts under a microscope during surgery which showed one of the hair miniaturised and told me if I don’t take finasteride I’ll lose that hair. I’ve taken fin for 2.5 years everyday so perhaps not working very well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kraistoff said:

Bloody hell that’s hardcore . 

I’ll try twice a week with propecia in between as advised by Dr Erdogan . He showed my one of my triple grafts under a microscope during surgery which showed one of the hair miniaturised and told me if I don’t take finasteride I’ll lose that hair. I’ve taken fin for 2.5 years everyday so perhaps not working very well. 

I also have that phenomenon going on in my donor area unfortunately... I need all the grafts I can keep.

A couple of things come to mind.  It typically takes a good year to confirm what the meds with do.  Changing to Dut and using the med for 40 days will accomplish nothing.  So the first thing I would do is have the doctor scope you.  Take the med for a year and scope again.

There is a reason why the medication is prescribed for daily use.  Not sure what benefit you are getting by taking in such intervals. Perhaps adding another modality would not be a bad idea. (Rogaine, PRP, Laser).

1 minute ago, LaserCap said:

A couple of things come to mind.  It typically takes a good year to confirm what the meds with do.  Changing to Dut and using the med for 40 days will accomplish nothing.  So the first thing I would do is have the doctor scope you.  Take the med for a year and scope again.

There is a reason why the medication is prescribed for daily use.  Not sure what benefit you are getting by taking in such intervals. Perhaps adding another modality would not be a bad idea. (Rogaine, PRP, Laser).

Thanks

im not planning on changing , but taking it once or twice a week.  The 40 capsules should last 20 or 40 weeks that way. Will try for a year and see how it goes. Worried about side effects. 

This was recommended by my hair transplant dr. I read somewhere that it has a significantly higher half like than propecia . 

3 hours ago, Kraistoff said:

Thanks

im not planning on changing , but taking it once or twice a week.  The 40 capsules should last 20 or 40 weeks that way. Will try for a year and see how it goes. Worried about side effects. 

This was recommended by my hair transplant dr. I read somewhere that it has a significantly higher half like than propecia . 

OK, if you've made up your mind, nothing left to do.

So you'll be getting the effect of the med on a day or two and nothing on the rest.  Great plan.

You read it somewhere......Perhaps a milkman created the post.  Also a great plan.

If you are going to experience side effects, you'll know within the first two weeks.  If you don't experience any, you never will.

Visit with professionals/doctors and then decide.

• Thanks 1

I took Avodart once a week along with Propecia daily for a couple of years, seemed to help me recover when I felt I'd lost ground after going onto generic Finpecia.

• Thanks 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

@LaserCap

thanks for the advice . This is why I posted here to get peoples opinions / informations / facts . I received the advise from a hair transplant doctor not the milkman! But your comments are taken on board and I’ll keep them in mind before popping my first pill this weekend . 

@TommyLucchese thanks . Why did you stop? Why did you start doing it once a day and Propecia on the other days to begin with ? 

Edited by Kraistoff

7 hours ago, Kraistoff said:

@TommyLucchese thanks . Why did you stop? Why did you start doing it once a day and Propecia on the other days to begin with ? 

think you've seen my comment in another thread, I started because generic Finpecia seemed to make things worse....but then I stopped because my hair was looking good and it was a bit expensive paying the prescription fee of £25 each time. I'll definitely go back to again if my hair gets worse. 

good luck!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Here’s a photo of my crown which shows some hair that are a lot shorter than the others. There’s some transplanted hairs on here too which are thicker than native hair.

some follicles haven’t even sprouted a hair. 

I have been on Propecia ED for 2.5 years , now decided to add Avodart twice a week. 

D85EB978-6666-45A8-A43B-35DB9AEAFDE2.png

50033EBC-E088-4D56-9F9A-390DB99494A2.png

• 3 weeks later...

So these are some photos. First one (left) was taken 9 October 2018 and the second (right) taken today. 

keft one is 25 day post my first procedure, right one is 25 days post my second procedure. I am impressed with the improvements to be honest. Hopefully the Avodart will get some more thickening . 

4FC0E9BD-9792-45F2-826E-CA32338C89CC.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I’m now over 2 months on dutaseride twice a week and propecia every day combo, and apart from E dysfunction for the first week ( which could be unrelated) I can say that I do not have any side effect. 

Obviously  too early to tell for sure about sides and of course results, but I do feel that my hair is looking quite decent for 2 months list op.

photo below 

Nice! Seeing a difference already.

• 1 month later...

6 hours ago, Kraistoff said:

@Leftwithropehello , not sure as it’s hard to tell , although haven’t lost more hair and I feel that my frontal third is denser; but of course I did have a hair transplant 4 months ago ! 

Cool, you might want to look at the area behind your hair transplants to see if dut did any work. Any sides so far?

Edited by Leftwithrope

Good luck with your dut journey, @Kraistoff.

One thing about dut, I think this is the reason it works great for certain people, but not at all (or worse than fin - quite a statement, I know) for others: this drug significantly increases your T levels. I know DHT is the main culprit, but testosterone plays a role too, especially if you have a lot of it. For individuals with low to moderate T levels, dut will do wonders, if you have high T levels, I'm not too sure. DHT is 5x more potent than testosterone, however we have 10x more T than DHT, so it's quite easy to do the math --> T will also wreak havoc. 

Just my own 5 cents, nothing proven. 

• Thanks 1