My horrid experience and help wanted

Hi everyone,

Logging back into this forum after soo long. For those who don't know me I go by the name of azza786...you can see my journey on my blog.

I am now 33 and had my first HT at age 20 in Ottawa, Canada..long time ago I know!

Between then and now, I have had a total of 4 HT surgery's including FUE, BHT and Strip surgery amassing to over 8500 grafts.

With that amount of extraction, one would expect a half decent result at the very least.

After persevering and persevering, rolling with the punches, being optimistic, I can easily say I have lost the battle. You can see my situation today...very disheartening and the effect its taken on me on a day to day basis over the last 13 years has been devastating...I struggle to talk about its impacts on me to anyone as it was something I had wanted to tackle and get out my way and move on in life. Ofcourse, I have moved on in life but the impact my experience has left with me has made it all the more worse. 

Over the past 13 years as you can see I have tried all the recommended pills and lotions but I don't know what will help me now. I am depending on a hair system to get me by for the last 10 years but that hasn't been easy to fathom till this day. 

What rubs it in for me is not just my investment into this in the attempt to counterattack it and not seeing a result but seeing others who have been successful in their surgery's and I'm sure have moved on with life. Don't get me wrong, there is no jealousy- no need for it but more a relative disappointment for myself as to this is not what I wanted.

I'm sure alot of people would say shave off the hair. How would that be possible with a scar that is there on the back of my head?

There is not a single day that passes where I think of what I can do. I am and have always been a risk taker with positive hopes but this has been devastating to say the least. Surely, there must be a way.

Sorry if I have cribbed too much...just sharing my pain which I find tough to share with people. 

Any help, advice or suggestions would be great. I really need to find a solution as I don't want to rely on hair systems for the rest of my life.

What makes it more unfortunate is despite the troubles it has given me, somehow I have managed to keep my youthful appearance. I wouldn't say it's just the system but it's the way I am. So having the loss that I have just makes it worse.

Thanks guys!

Azza

IMG_20200920_161038.jpg

0_IMG_20200920_133023.jpg

11_IMG_20200920_125926.jpg

1_IMG_20200920_132807.jpg

2_IMG_20200920_133208.jpg

9_IMG_20200920_132427.jpg

4_IMG_20200920_133253.jpg

3608 grafts with dr h.rahal, june 2007

1623 grafts- dr h. rahal, november 2008

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

John,

Thanks so much for the reply brother.

I have seen SMP but not too sure about it? If anything, I will probs use it at some point for the scar.

I'm not used to a buzz cut/ never had it and don't think I can pull it off but yes- something to consider.

Cheers

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

I'm really sorry for what you've been through. It is important to consider things like SMP or hair systems. They can make a huge impact. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

How come all the surgeries yielded low results? Have you investigated this through biopsies etc? 

A hair system with a naturally transplanted hairline is currently my preferred choice for cases similar to you. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Hi Dr Barghouthi,

When I noticed that the transplants didn't really help the hair loss, I have been using hair system for around 8 years. I don't really enjoy it to be honest though I know some maybe ok with it. I didn't undergo 4 HT surgery's to use a system in the end 😣

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

1 minute ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

How come all the surgeries yielded low results? Have you investigated this through biopsies etc? 

A hair system with a naturally transplanted hairline is currently my preferred choice for cases similar to you. 

I have no idea why sir. The clinics I used were through research and reputation so I didn't go to any cowboy as such.

Yes a naturally transplanted hairline with a system is something I considered a few years back but as you can see my hairline isn't great. I have the shape of a hairline but it's wayyy to see through.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

It looks like your transplanted hair continued to thin. You should have way more hair for 5000+ grafts. It appears your case is yet another of hair transplants not being permanent without additional treatments such as finasteride. 

I'm really sorry about your situation. I would ask Dr. Rahal why he thinks your grafts did not hold. 

Yes indeed. I still think this is quite unusual. I think looking at it in depth is quite important. Maybe a biopsy with a dermatopathologist can reveal something?

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I looked at your last pictures from 2009, https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal/azza786/327/HT21-YEAR/4432, and if the hair transplant permanence theory was true, this is the hair you should still have today. 

You were pretty much slick bald in your initial areas before transplantation so it is not a question of native hair thinning.

1 minute ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Yes indeed. I still think this is quite unusual. I think looking at it in depth is quite important. Maybe a biopsy with a dermatopathologist can reveal something?

Could genetics be anything to do with it? Unfortunately mpb runs both from my father and mother's side and I was always told that I would be doomed. At the same age as me now, my father was a Norwood 6. I remember having blood work done before the surgerys and had an appointment with a dermatologist and everything came back fine indicating that it is all genetics. 

What do I do? I want to stop thinking about this now but I need a solution.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

May well be. It’s just hard to tell with all the harvesting done. Although the miniaturization in the donor doesn't seem quite diffuse as in DUPA. You can see a thicker segment of donor in the middle that is uniform. Probably dermoscopy of that Region can show if they are thinning better. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

2 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

I looked at your last pictures from 2009, https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal/azza786/327/HT21-YEAR/4432, and if the hair transplant permanence theory was true, this is the hair you should still have today. 

You were pretty much slick bald in your initial areas before transplantation so it is not a question of native hair thinning.

Correct- I clearly remember that after HT2, around the 1 year mark my temples started to recede and then another wave of hair loss/ thinning kicked it so I never actually saw the benefits of a HT or what hair was lost native or HT ones.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

3 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

May well be. It’s just hard to tell with all the harvesting done. Although the miniaturization in the donor doesn't seem quite diffuse as in DUPA. You can see a thicker segment of donor in the middle that is uniform. Probably dermoscopy of that Region can show if they are thinning better. 

What is your advice? I'm guessing I'm not even a repair case now am I with BHT or equivalent.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

7 minutes ago, Struggle said:

Due to miniaturization in donor area I think it could be DUPA. For how long have your result lasted?

I have no idea...I had my 4 HTs between the ages of 20-26 as a result of not getting any decent result...hairline was always see through and now it is what it is...I keep whatever hair is there trimmed down ...doesn't really make much of a difference if I grow it or not.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

The only explanation I have for this is that you went Norwood 7 + DUPA, which is really rare.

There is one guy at work I know who is like this, his donor is see through and his lateral humps dropped all the way like yours. This is the most aggressive form of male pattern baldness, and these people simply aren't candidates for hair transplants. There just isn't enough donor available.

I don't know if finasteride would have stopped this, but that or dutasteride would have been your only hope in my opinion, had you started it 10 years ago.

However don't despair. Even with your scar, I promise you a buzzed head would look better than what you have right now. You can get smp into the scar and minimize its appearance if it still bothers you.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Truly heartbreaking, but if you’re 33 now, then you got your first HT at 19! That is why I ALWAYS discourage young guys to get surgery. There is absolutely no way to judge the donor accurately. 

I’m no doctor, but it’s evident that your donor is not stable. I see significant thinning all over your scalp. You appear to be a Norwood 7 with DUPA. Please see @Gatsby he’s had SMP, and he looks fantastic. Please do not be discouraged, there’s more to life than hair! 

• Like 7

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

The only explanation I have for this is that you went Norwood 7 + DUPA, which is really rare.

There is one guy at work I know who is like this, his donor is see through and his lateral humps dropped all the way like yours. This is the most aggressive form of male pattern baldness, and these people simply aren't candidates for hair transplants. There just isn't enough donor available.

I don't know if finasteride would have stopped this, but that or dutasteride would have been your only hope in my opinion, had you started it 10 years ago.

However don't despair. Even with your scar, I promise you a buzzed head would look better than what you have right now. You can get smp into the scar and minimize its appearance if it still bothers you.

Thanks for the response.

If that's the case then it double sucks. I was on finistride for a while for around 6 years but I honestly couldn't see any effects of it.

It seems the buzz and SMP could be a way... unfortunately my scar is there any visible...I really wouldn't want to buzz without getting that sorted. I don't want to go through my whole life being conscious about a scar...I have been concious about my locks for a very long time. The sad part is when I started high school, of the 100 children in my year, I had one of the best locks and fast forward 6 years...the nightmare began for me.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

2 minutes ago, azza786 said:

Thanks for the response.

If that's the case then it double sucks. I was on finistride for a while for around 6 years but I honestly couldn't see any effects of it.

It seems the buzz and SMP could be a way... unfortunately my scar is there any visible...I really wouldn't want to buzz without getting that sorted. I don't want to go through my whole life being conscious about a scar...I have been concious about my locks for a very long time. The sad part is when I started high school, of the 100 children in my year, I had one of the best locks and fast forward 6 years...the nightmare began for me.

What year did you quit finasteride? Do you have pictures right before quitting?

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Truly heartbreaking, but if you’re 33 now, then you got your first HT at 19! That is why I ALWAYS discourage young guys to get surgery. There is absolutely no way to judge the donor accurately. 

I’m no doctor, but it’s evident that your donor is not stable. I see significant thinning all over your scalp. You appear to be a Norwood 7 with DUPA. Please see @Gatsby he’s had SMP, and he looks fantastic. Please do not be discouraged, there’s more to life than hair! 

Hi Melvin,

Heartbreaking is an understatement my friend.

If you think about it, my donor has had 2 strips and fue taken so it has had taken some grief.

I know there is more to life than hair but how do you let go of it soo easily when it's taken up over a decade of mental space? I have started taking mental health therapy in the hope I can openly talk about it because I just simply struggle due to the disbelief of what I have experienced through this. It does drive people close to me crazy as to why I don't speak up...only if they knew 🥺

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

2 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

What year did you quit finasteride? Do you have pictures right before quitting?

I took finistride from 2007-2014 and then tappered off because I could not see any signs of positivity.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website