When are follicles considered dead?

I hear this a lot. Is there a time frame? is it case by case? Can telogen phase seem permanent?   Is it complete horseshit? Here is a question. Would you think the below picture could grow hair back? 

image.png.bf722a4c2545652ea5949e491cc05452.png

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

A hair follicle not producing visible hair is ..taking up valuable beachfront real estate, and very dead as far as all hair transplant seekers are concerned.

Technically, unless you burn or cut areas on your scalp, or have something like an auto-immune disease that mistakenly attacks and destroys your hair follicles, they continue to produce hairs throughout your life. Even the ones that are ravaged by DHT produce extremely miniaturized hairs so small you need microscope/camera assistance to see them.

Sometimes if its not too late, finasteride can halt or minimize the dht bombardment enough to maintain current hair production levels, even enable some follicles to start producing visible hair again. Rogaine can give you more visible hair too, but by itself without a DHT blocker will only thicken your hairs for so long until the inevitable.

Regarding the picture, I'm getting a shifty vibe about it. There was a time when I would have said there's no chance saving that head. But I've seen a thread on the forum, about a guy just using some meds, with various herbs and spices from the colonel's secret recipe, and he not only halted his substantial loss, but got alot of re-growth! I'm going go try to find the thread and link it.

• Administrators

Definitely can grow back, it’s thinning but not dead. You know the hair follicle is dead when it grows to peach fuzz. If hair can still grow an inch, it’s still revivable.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, Shifty said:

I hear this a lot. Is there a time frame? is it case by case? Can telogen phase seem permanent?   Is it complete horseshit? Here is a question. Would you think the below picture could grow hair back? 

image.png.bf722a4c2545652ea5949e491cc05452.png

Baldness and hairfall cycle are two very different things. 

Hair fall cycle:

Anagen: when new hair grow from the roots. It lasts approximately 10 to 12 months.

Catagen: The mature hair stays stagnant for a couple of weeks.

Telogen: The mature hair falls off and stays dormant for a couple of months.

The hair cycle can have varied time periods for different individuals. 

Telogen phase is never permanent for anyone.

Baldness is the miniaturization of hair follicles and their eventual disappearance along with the roots. 

You have some good hair follicles that can be revived with the use of finasteride. For the extremely miniaturized hair, they will not be revived with medications.  

The hair in the telogen phase will come back.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

18 hours ago, ciaus said:

But I've seen a thread on the forum, about a guy just using some meds, with various herbs and spices from the colonel's secret recipe, and he not only halted his substantial loss, but got alot of re-growth! I'm going go try to find the thread and link it.

It was my thread lol kind of why I am asking 

I ask this question because how many people are being told there are no other alternatives than an HT when there clearly are? I was told this even after a doctor used a magnifying glass too look at my head and the follicles. I've seen some fairly terrible stories on this site over the 2 or so years I've been a member, some with some without pictures. 

Is what happened to me so unusual that most are willing to go under a knife instead of, and spending sometimes 10's of thousands of dollars? I thought my hair was gone for good, I was bald in certain spots for a few years. I remember the day my niece saw me bending over and started making fun of me because she noticed thinning in my crown. (kids lol I should have started that day on this journey) Its why I asked the Telogen question because the front temple areas were full on gone (with my big head it was so depressing lol) but have come back fairly decently.  

That picture is me, so is the below one.  I may have posted both somewhere in the thread I am documenting my attempt to grow it all back.  My hair is far from perfect but it continues to grow in areas i thought it would never again without a HT.  A tiny bit of Toppik on the front left and crown (not a lot at all) and boom people are complimenting me on  my hair every where i go. 

I still have a small spot on my crown that I am hyper aware of so hats are still a thing for me, but when I can I'm going to give a couple other things a try (see other thread when I do) 

Maybe there isnt a magic pill yet even though I'm taking it when they create it lol, but maybe there is something else? 

image.png.d91897048b3a0ae7c3e2c8f076a7797a.png

• Administrators

To be fair, it’s rare for someone to respond as well as you did to meds. You’re in the top 1% for sure. The vast majority should expect to see the hair loss stop, but not necessarily expect a huge amount of regrowth. It depends also, if you still got a decent amount of hair and it’s just diffused, you can expect it to get healthier and stronger.

However, of you have a hairline that has completely vanished, taking meds is not gonna bring it back. The real only method of regrowing hair on a bald scalp is surgery. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Shifty I tried following your regimen for nearly a yr and it didn't work for me.

In your first thread you mentioned - "42 yrs old -  hair loss happened really fast (between ages 39 and 41) no longer losing hair  - good skin laxity as far as I can tell - decent donor" - do you think you had some other scalp issue that caused hairloss and not MPB?

I have been using everything else other than Fin and absolutely no improvement for me:

I use:

Lipogaine Shampoo

Lipogaine Conditioner

Azelaic Acid with NO Minox

Lipogaine Minox

GNC Vitamin

Zhou Nutrition Hair supplement (started 4 months ago, taking 1 per day and not 2).

Dermarolling once a week 1mm

Laser cap twice a week since 2 yrs.

I give up..LOL.

20 minutes ago, Panamera13 said:

@Shifty I tried following your regimen for nearly a yr and it didn't work for me.

In your first thread you mentioned - "42 yrs old -  hair loss happened really fast (between ages 39 and 41) no longer losing hair  - good skin laxity as far as I can tell - decent donor" - do you think you had some other scalp issue that caused hairloss and not MPB?

I have been using everything else other than Fin and absolutely no improvement for me:

I use:

Lipogaine Shampoo

Lipogaine Conditioner

Azelaic Acid with NO Minox

Lipogaine Minox

GNC Vitamin

Zhou Nutrition Hair supplement (started 4 months ago, taking 1 per day and not 2).

Dermarolling once a week 1mm

Laser cap twice a week since 2 yrs.

I give up..LOL.

Well, the first six things on this list I did not use, I dont even know what Lipogaine is. lol Also I derma twice a week and havnt used a cap until recently.