Generic propecia / Dr. Reddy not effective?

Hello,

I've been taking finasteride for about 6 years now. During that time it seemed to be working pretty well, dramatically slowing my rate of hair loss. I cannot recall the specific brands that I took over the years, I believe I've used multiple generics as well as the Merc brand. I also had a hair transplant 17 months ago in the hairline (documented on this forum).

My pharmacy recently filled a prescription and gave me Dr. Reddy's generic finasteride. This was about 6 weeks ago. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks and increased amount of shedding and my hair "feels" worse, lifeless, thin, etc. I've had a hair transplant and some of the hairs (including the transplanted hairs) look and feel lifeless/wirey and I've noticed my transplanted hairs are shedding as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand of finasteride? It feels like it is less effective. Its also very disturbing that some of my transplanted hairs are shedding after only 17 months (maybe these are just the hairs that never actually shed during the initial transplant?) Is shedding transplanted hairs after this short of a time span normal? Could this just be my body adjusting to a new version of the drug and I can expect regrowth in a few months?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, FUEblonde1985 said:

Hello,

I've been taking finasteride for about 6 years now. During that time it seemed to be working pretty well, dramatically slowing my rate of hair loss. I cannot recall the specific brands that I took over the years, I believe I've used multiple generics as well as the Merc brand. I also had a hair transplant 17 months ago in the hairline (documented on this forum).

My pharmacy recently filled a prescription and gave me Dr. Reddy's generic finasteride. This was about 6 weeks ago. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks and increased amount of shedding and my hair "feels" worse, lifeless, thin, etc. I've had a hair transplant and some of the hairs (including the transplanted hairs) look and feel lifeless/wirey and I've noticed my transplanted hairs are shedding as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand of finasteride? It feels like it is less effective. Its also very disturbing that some of my transplanted hairs are shedding after only 17 months (maybe these are just the hairs that never actually shed during the initial transplant?) Is shedding transplanted hairs after this short of a time span normal? Could this just be my body adjusting to a new version of the drug and I can expect regrowth in a few months?

Thanks.

Hey, I've used Dr. Reddy's finasteride for over 5 years now. It works fine for me. Maybe the change in brand is what is causing the hair loss. Maybe you should switch back to the brand you were using. Shedding of transplanted hair is normal. They have to go through the hair cycle.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

I would try switching back to the grand that was working well for you. I sometimes would think I woukd begin to shed after refilling my prescription but I also think it was mental. 
Unfortunately shedding is natural and something you can’t really avoid. I had a transplant and I had a drastic shed right before my one year mark and I was devastated. I feel like it never fully grew back but that could be mental as well. In your situation I would just recommend you get back on the brand that was working for you and start to use a derma-roller   

Switching formulations or even starting new hair loss medications can induce an early stage of temporary loss. It is seen with minoxidil, LLLT and even finasteride in some cases. It may well be that or even seasonal shedding which is quite common this time of year. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• 1 month later...

I've been using Dr. Reddy Finasteride since May (through my Kaiser doctor). Had HT July 24th '20 with the same surgeon as yours. Hair loss slowed in the last weeks before HT. I halted treament for a week before surgery. Restarted Finasteride immediately after surgery. Hair loss stopped by the end of August. Now 3 months into HT recovery even with vigorous shampooing, I have no further hair loss. Haven't experienced/used any other brand of Finasteride but I will say the Dr. Reddy stuff works for me.

Edited by jimcraig152

35 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

can someone explain to me what Dr. Reddys finasteride is and how I can tell if I have that kind?

thanks

Dr. Reddy is just the name of the manufacturer of the finasteride, or brand if you will. Some pics below, but I suspect the stampings on the pill are to ID the lot in case they have a bad run that they can trace it back. The color of the pills are always the same in the 5 months I've been on it. First time I've actually looked at the stampings actually.

IMG_2458.thumb.jpg.ce6db81d4957c47ffc851e088ba4022a.jpgIMG_2454.jpg.20726d9e37e7f50a3be5f3d39f6ae16c.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg.3b8df3562ddc501f95661aabe3b8189b.jpgIMG_2455.jpg.5249adbb3666766e94a96e43ceb1b066.jpg

• Thanks 1