POLL: How Painful Was Your Hair Transplant?

How Painful Was Your Hair Transplant  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Administrators

Alright guys,

Time for another poll, because I want to gather the communities authentic input, and it's super helpful for those researching. How painful was your procedure? I will say none of my hair transplants were painful. I had some donor discomfort from week 2-4, which is common with FUE

For those of you who say it was painful, please share a brief description of your procedure, was it FUE or FUT? What part was painful, was it the post-op recovery, or the actual incision? Let's get this thread big, I wanna hear your hair transplant story.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Is this before, during and after? 

The local going in is painful. There are some techniques they use to distract you but it still hurts.  I think they now use a relaxer and that could help.

I recall they forgot to numb a certain area and the doctor proceeded unaware of this small detail.  It hurt like hell.  This was promptly corrected and the procedure went on.  Slept the rest of the time.

Soreness but no pain after the procedure.  Removing sutures was uncomfortable.

Procedure 2 hurt more than the first, local wise.

Rest of procedures, including FUE were easier. LIttle to no discomfort post procedure.

For me the medication pre op and post op did wonders. I had 2 FUT's.No pain during the surgery but the biggest nuisance was discomfort. You're trying to get into a comfortable position after laying still for several hours and the same can also be said for sleeping. Though to your point Melvin some general discomfort from healing. The sutures/staples were annoying but a necessary evil to ensure proper healing.

• Like 1

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Is this before, during and after? 

The local going in is painful. There are some techniques they use to distract you but it still hurts.  I think they now use a relaxer and that could help.

I recall they forgot to numb a certain area and the doctor proceeded unaware of this small detail.  It hurt like hell.  This was promptly corrected and the procedure went on.  Slept the rest of the time.

Soreness but no pain after the procedure.  Removing sutures was uncomfortable.

Procedure 2 hurt more than the first, local wise.

Rest of procedures, including FUE were easier. LIttle to no discomfort post procedure.

All three. 

The local was painful for me, but only in the hairline. They use a vibrating machine now that does help. Thanks for clarifying the difference between FUT and FUE. How long was the recovery period for FUT

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, makehairgreatagain said:

For me the medication pre op and post op did wonders. I had 2 FUT's.No pain during the surgery but the biggest nuisance was discomfort. You're trying to get into a comfortable position after laying still for several hours and the same can also be said for sleeping. Though to your point Melvin some general discomfort from healing. The sutures/staples were annoying but a necessary evil to ensure proper healing.

Awesome info, did you experience any numbness near the suture line? I think this is great information for visitors and readers.

View my thread

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Awesome info, did you experience any numbness near the suture line? I think this is great information for visitors and readers.

I did yes. The best thing you can do is follow the post op advice perfectly. Even though cosmetic, your body has still undergone a major surgery and you need to be able to rest/relax, ice, elevate and take your medication. It will set you up really well for success.

Painful at times. FUT

The local anesthetic going in was a painful pinching/burning sensation, and to a lesser extent when topping off already numb areas. This was the most intense pain of the surgery. I didn't feel a thing when the doctor removed the strip or made incisions. There was some discomfort when they were placing the grafts, but it was tolerable.

Positioning myself in the chair in odd positions for 45+ minutes at a time caused some pain in my neck and back that took a few days to go away.

After the surgery, the incision was painful for probably four weeks, well after the staples came out. Staple removal was painless. The area above the incision and my scalp were very painful to touch for probably six weeks. It's been 2.5 months and the pain is 95% gone, and I have most of the feeling back around and above the incision.

All-in-all, it is not a pain or discomfort free procedure, but nothing I experienced would stop me from getting a second FUT when/if the time comes.

Its not a painless procedure for sure ...the injections pinch theres no way around it ..especially so into the hairline....also my very first placement of a graft hurt like hell..down to not enough anesthesia in the area ..I think the tech immediately took the day off after the expletives that came out of my mouth...it all went very smoothly thereafter...the post OP recovery was a breeze to be honest.. but again I'll remind everyone to be very careful on your transfer from clinic to airport on your way home..I gave the top of my scalp a right old bang on getting into the car to go to the airport just hours after my procedure...paranoia over possible sabotaging of my final result has not been fun..I also witnessed a HT guy bang his head on the overhead luggage compartment on plane ride home from Istanbul...

You've been warned 😊

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

For me my two hair transplants were not painful at all with the exception of the needle to apply the anesthetic. That honestly hurt though it's only for such a short moment in the big picture. Also when I later had to undergo several procedures of plastic surgery to remove and repair scarring again, it was only the anesthetic needle that hurt. It's a strange sensation when you can hear the sound of what resembles someone biting into an apple and not being able to feel a thing! 😬 This happened when they were excising strips of scar tissue. I'll certainly make sure their is music playing when I'm at Eugenix! Lol! 😉

• Like 1

The shots in the donor area had me squirming like a toad.  This was for the FUE.  The FUT was easier.

• Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

For me my two hair transplants were not painful at all with the exception of the needle to apply the anesthetic. That honestly hurt though it's only for such a short moment in the big picture. Also when I later had to undergo several procedures of plastic surgery to remove and repair scarring again, it was only the anesthetic needle that hurt. It's a strange sensation when you can hear the sound of what resembles someone biting into an apple and not being able to feel a thing! 😬 This happened when they were excising strips of scar tissue. I'll certainly make sure their is music playing when I'm at Eugenix! Lol! 😉

Would love to hear your story more in depth, you should create a thread on it.

View my thread

• Administrators

Good information here so far, looks like for most it’s either not painful, or a little painful. 

View my thread

15 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

All three. 

The local was painful for me, but only in the hairline. They use a vibrating machine now that does help. Thanks for clarifying the difference between FUT and FUE. How long was the recovery period for FUT

The required 7-10 days, (at that time) to get the sutures removed and to scrub off.  

I recall the vibrator.  A waste of time but at least they were trying to do something to distract the patient.  

• Administrators
1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

The required 7-10 days, (at that time) to get the sutures removed and to scrub off.  

I recall the vibrator.  A waste of time but at least they were trying to do something to distract the patient.  

😂 my first surgeon tried to tell me there was no needles involved, I was like ‘I’m sure that was a needle.’ Guess a lot of people have phobias to needles. 

View my thread

The most painful part for me was also the local injection... Fortunately, the numbing set in fairly quickly, so in hindsight it was over almost as soon as it began... But in the moment - holy moly, it was painful. 😳

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I voted not painful at all but then remembered getting the stitches out 2 weeks later was horrible, it took a few attempts over the course of a few days.

I'm happy to go through it again when I sort my crown out though so it shouldn't deter people. The procedure itself was painless.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

I voted painless, there was only one instance that felt painful, that was the anesthesia to the hairline. But it was a split second of pain for me, everyone has different pain thresholds. But it does look like the majority voted for mild discomfort and pain.

View my thread

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Is A Hair Transplant Painful

You can still cast your vote

View my thread

I must be a wimp I'm not afraid of needles but the pain of that needle pushing through my scalp skin caused me to wriggle in agony. It was horrible. I'm just over two weeks post fue and I've still got some numbness in my head but the pain has more or less gone now. But like a previous poster said its a small price to pay. No pain no gain.