Aussie Surgeons: Vikram Jayaprakash and Russell Knudsen

Hey all,

Just wondering if any Aussies have had experience with these two surgeons?

They are part of the Knudsen clinic, which is somewhat well-known in Aus.

I know there is really no reputable surgeons in Australia, hence why we all go overseas, but I was watching their videos on YouTube (they have a hairloss info channel) - and got curious.

I already have an appointment overseas, but I was considering visiting them to get a donor assessment. 

Their videos are actually a great source of info. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEynrVyBV6o - here's a link to some of their content.

Thanks everyone.

Ray woods in Australia is the inventor of fue but to today’s standards his results and graft numbers are not up to par. Never heard of anyone else recommended from there. The only place nearby where I’d consider a ht would be with dr path in Thailand. He seems very reputable with some great results posted here.

• Administrators

I don’t know enough about them to say anything, I’ve seen their show on YouTube, they seem like nice guys. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

They probably aren't bad and fall into the very conservative HT Surgeon bracket along side the likes of Bernstein, Farjo, Carmen etc.  That is not a bad thing in itself, but less likely to please younger patients.

I had a quick look at some results and not sure I rate the hairline artistry tbh.

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

@HelpfulFriend

Their YouTube videos are just spurting the same info you'd find anywhere online man. They are obviously knowledgeable, though you would hope so being a surgeon.

I have met a few former patients and their results were so under par the PGA came and gave them  each a gold jacket.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

• Valued Contributor

I have seen them both and had a consultation with both. I saw Dr Vikram about three and a half years ago. I wouldn't touch them. Why? Because they don't have the skill set that other top hair transplant surgeons do overseas. When I saw Dr Vic he said I could have a hair transplant whereby my hairline would be created to frame my face with some grafts placed in the forelock region and a 'few scattered around.' I informed him of other surgeons who used beard hair as a donor source to which he replied he could do it but it's too 'difficult to perform.' I asked him about body hair and he said he had performed surgery with chest hair on about a dozen patients who were successful in growing hair. I asked him if he could show me the results and he said he only performed the first body hair transplant 12 months prior. I then asked him how can he know if they were successful if nearly all of them were performed less than a year ago! He wasn't interested in the rest of my questions. 

Dr Knudsen was trained by Dr Richard Shiell (who performed the first hair transplant in Australia in 1967 and whom I admire greatly). Dr Knudsen seems like a nice guy but again doesn't have the skill set to match other hair transplant surgeons. For your own sake, if you live in Australia or New Zealand, do not get a hair transplant here!!!!!! In addition the costs here are on a par with some of the world's best hair transplant surgeons! It was also Dr Shiell who I am ever so grateful too for knocking me back for a hair transplant after I had two failed ones and he also did some of the repair work on my donor scars. Again, in closing for the cost of a few days of your life and a return plane ticket do not bother with anyone in Australia. I think I've had a consult with nearly all of them.

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gatsby,

I'm also from Melbourne so looking around for some options at the moment, and you seem like a great source of knowledge on the area.  I recently had a consult with Gro Clinics regarding a DHI transplant in Melbourne.  Intereste in your opinion of them?  They claim to have a 90% survival rate on their implanted hairs with the technique they use.  They seem to have good reviews and of the sample's I've seen the results appear quite good - although not a huge sample size.  I had positive consultation experience with them, but yeah - would love to get your thoughts on them.

Would try to go to Eugenix in India if I could, but seems it may be a while before we can fly and think now could be a good time to do this with being required to work from home.

Cheers

I just got a transplant done by Vikram. I liked some of his results on FB. I think he is fairly new to the scene. I am not sure if he would be the best for people with extensive hair loss as the clinic routinely prefers a conservative approach (they do max 3000 grafts). I was looking for something around the 1200-1500 range (I am n3). I had a very large amount of 3s, so was able to get a lot of density towards the back without using too many grafts. I ended up getting 1270. Cost me $8250

Maybe if you need extensive work done, America might be a good option. My friends get a lot of different cosmetic procedures in Beverly hills. Obviously comes with a price tag though. They seem way less conservative there though. I would consider going there for face lifts etc when I get older, as they seem to have really good anti aging procedures. 

I do agree in general Australia isn't world leading in the cosmetic front though. But tbh I just wanted some lockdown work done :)

Time will tell how it all goes. My goal is to not look unnatural and balding though. I guess we all have different priorities. 

• 3 weeks later...

Really liking the responses and details here. 

I'm struggling to choose a HT surgeon. 

I have Dr Vikram and Gro Hair on my list they Gro hair Dr's in Brisbane and Sydney have great instagram pages, also saw paras hair clinic. 

So It's either pick one of the above or wait until International travel is open and go to BHRclinic in Belgium, DHI London, Dr Koray Erdogan in Turkey

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Administrators

BHR clinic is top notch, none of the names mentioned compare in my opinion.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 10/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, JohnMelb1234 said:

Really liking the responses and details here. 

I'm struggling to choose a HT surgeon. 

I have Dr Vikram and Gro Hair on my list they Gro hair Dr's in Brisbane and Sydney have great instagram pages, also saw paras hair clinic. 

So It's either pick one of the above or wait until International travel is open and go to BHRclinic in Belgium, DHI London, Dr Koray Erdogan in Turkey

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

No one in Australia comes anywhere close to Belgium. I know for a fact from a friend who is a tech that surgeons here can only do 1,000 or 3,000 because they don’t have the experience, skills and expertise that surgeons such as Dr Sethi, Dr Arika, Dr Wong, etc have. In fact you will pay as much or more having surgery here in Australia! As for Dr Vikram he is a fraud from New Zealand. Was busted lying about his qualifications, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm booked in with Dr Knudsen for mid February, NW3 doing 1000 - 1500 exclusively in the hairline. Expecting a cost of around 8k - 10k. I am a little concerned about the results as there isn't much information on him - I proceeded with him primarily because he came across as very professional, was decorated and internationally recognised.

Can anyone comment on his results? I am terrified that I will walk away disappointed