Downfalls of a hair system

Packardbell1603

• Valued Contributor
On 8/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, Jake1979 said:

Hopefully I can continue to have a great experiences with wearing systems, this has really helped my confidence tremendously:)

You've won!!!!! 👍

Edited by Gatsby
spelling
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:55 PM, Gatsby said:

You've won!!!!! 👍

Thanks for the kind words bro! I'll take any win i can get in the hair loss battle....first world problems at the end of the day though :)

Edited by Jake1979
  • Like 1

• Moderators

A hair piece wasn't for me, but everyone has their own goals and expectations, so if it works for you then that's great.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

16 hours ago, BeHappy said:

A hair piece wasn't for me, but everyone has their own goals and expectations, so if it works for you then that's great.

Yea man I hear u! Systems have their drawbacks, I'm loving it now but maybe in a few years could feel different about it, we'll see.

• 1 year later...
On 9/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, Gatsby said:

I wore a hair piece for nearly 25 years (well not the same one!). I had a scar along my hairline that I wanted to hide and I was balding. I had brown curly hair and I would buy the hair piece, have my hair dresser color it and perm it. Then she would work her magic with her scissor and cut it into my existing hair. They would last nearly six months and then I would repeat. It was taped on at the front and had clips on the side that would attach to my native hair. However I was open about it to my friends, girlfriends, etc. Everyone told me that it suited it me and that I looked much younger. I think with a hair piece you have to have the personality for it. In summer I wouldn't wear it due to the heat, etc. Also it doesn't have to be expensive for it to look natural. All the best.

pics?

Follow my Hair Transplant experience with Eugenix!

Nov 16, 2022

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 7:25 AM, BeHappy said:

I hated wearing a hair system. I felt like I had a mop on my head and always felt like it looked fake even if it looked great that day. There was a constant feeling that the edges or hairline was showing. It made me sick to my stomach anytime someone looked at me. I was 20 years old, but I felt like a 45 year old bald man with a toupe. It was a horrible feeling. If I was starting over and had to wear a hair system I would transplant the front and wear a hair system for the crown. That's the only was I can picture myself being able to actually lie with it because that would at least make the front look and actually be real hair.

I'm currently 21 and from everything I've read, I'm not sure if a HT would be right for me at this point in terms of being too young and not being on any meds except topical minoxidil. I'm NW5, approaching 6 and this rapid hair loss has affected me so much mentally over the past year. Would you go back and do the HT at 20 if you had the chance?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 5:25 AM, midas14 said:

I'm currently 21 and from everything I've read, I'm not sure if a HT would be right for me at this point in terms of being too young and not being on any meds except topical minoxidil. I'm NW5, approaching 6 and this rapid hair loss has affected me so much mentally over the past year. Would you go back and do the HT at 20 if you had the chance?

Try a system and see if it is for you or not (how you can handle the maintenance, new look, etc). If you find that is not suitable for you just take it off and start looking for hair transplant alternatives. For a NW 5-6 I'd say systems are better aesthetically.  No transplant will give you the same density and coverage.

• 6 months later...
On 9/13/2020 at 5:56 PM, pkipling said:

If it were me and I were going to do a hair piece, I would really have to have a certain amount of confidence to be able to pull it off. I can't speak to them from firsthand experience, but as Gatsby mentioned above, it seems like really owning it and being open about it would be the best bet. I've heard quite a few stories over the years of men who have them and try to keep it a secret, and it typically seems to weigh them down - especially in romantic situations where they feel like they're gonna get "caught". I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you - and if it ends up being a hair system, I hope it really gives you that pep in your step that we're all looking for when addressing our hair loss. :)

For me, I dropped the idea of HS because:

1. Confidence - The idea of wearing a HS, knowing that most people looking at my head immediately know that it is a HS would definitely hurt my confidence. Now, how true my assumption and fear is—I don’t know. 

2. Practicality - I sweat a lot on my head, especially when eating spicy food—which is what i eat everyday. Plus, I exercise every other day. Honestly, i don’t know if it’s a big deal but i just thought it will not be very comfortable and will feel like have a hat/cap on all the time. I could be wrong but yet another assumption.

3. Cost - I am in my mid 30s and the long term cost of HS is not that small.

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

I wore a HS for  over 25 years and have had 5 hair transplants. I very happy with my results it’s not as thick as the HS but pretty close  looks awesome and get a lot of compliments you can just tell the difference a hair system is a lot of maintenance. Love my new hair and glad I did it the best thing I ever did I can style it the way I want short or long . I’ve been cutting my hair short every one loves it . Yes hair transplants are the way to go especially now with the new technology!!! With a hair transplant you have to be patient it can take up to a year and even longer to get the full results mine was still growing after 14 months 

Edited by ELECTRICMAN
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, Packardbell1603 said:

I’m a Norwood 6 and was recently told I could get some frontal coverage through a HT at the cost of an arm and a leg! I decided it wasn’t worth it and thought I’d look at alternatives. 

unfortunately, I have a head shape that just doesn’t look as good as Jason Statham does with no hair so I decided to investigate a HS. I searched YouTube and all the positive reviews and advocates got me excited  but I have two issues. 

1. I have an oily scalp so assume that this would mean regular gluing down etc. I’m just not sure how long it would last and don’t know if I would have the patience after years of not having to style my hair!

2. can I actually believe these guys on YT or are they just being paid to say how amazing their hair systems are? I would definitely want a less flashy vanilla ice look like most of the guys on YouTube so I’m not sure if I can wear a hair system and keep It a ‘decent’ length?

any advice would be appreciated  I’m 41 and would just like at least 10 years of having nice hair as it has been at least 8 years of thinning and baldness..

HS are good I was a member of hair club for men for years spent thousands of dollars but at the end for me it wasn’t worth it any more . So I went with the new Hair transplants and it has worked out !!and now I’m saving money not buying systems and keep it looking good with hair systems the color fads and you real need to keep on top or it will really look like a bad hair piece. I known had it a long time . Hope this helps tho the new HS ate incredible looks very natural pros and cons on both but I like having my own hair and not something siting on my head but that just me everyone is different. Hope this helps good luck and do your research 🧐 

i

23 hours ago, ELECTRICMAN said:

HS are good I was a member of hair club for men for years spent thousands of dollars but at the end for me it wasn’t worth it any more . So I went with the new Hair transplants and it has worked out !!and now I’m saving money not buying systems and keep it looking good with hair systems the color fads and you real need to keep on top or it will really look like a bad hair piece. I known had it a long time . Hope this helps tho the new HS ate incredible looks very natural pros and cons on both but I like having my own hair and not something siting on my head but that just me everyone is different. Hope this helps good luck and do your research 🧐 

i

Some people have no choice though.  Its an individual choice.  Pieces dont have to cost very much either, some just a couple of hundred bucks from top firms and can last many months.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I’m not sure this necessarily falls under the topic of “hair system downfalls” but it is definitely a struggle I’ve recently experienced and once again proven to me what a steep learning curve this is. 
I had only used Poly perimeter with lace or mono center up until recently bc I have been told by so many that full poly would be too hot for me and I’d have bonding issues given how much I work out and I do sweat a ton in summer even when not exercising. 

I ordered a custom full lace naively thinking this would be even better lol. I’ve never had so many issues with getting the system to stick and bond properly using tape. Probably common knowledge to most, but somehow I either ignored or missed the important part about full lace being difficult to work with especially using tape. 

So now have ordered another Poly perimeter lace center unit which ive never had problems getting to stick and bond. 

I really want to try a .08-.10 Full Poly unit, Lavivid makes one called the Coeus which is at 115 density and another on called the Oceanus I believe which is 130 density but thicker at .10-.12 

im not interested in the thin skin bc of the delicate nature of them.

But I keep hearing that the sweat gets trapped under the Poly giving it no place to escape creating more issues. Can anyone share their personal experiences with full Poly units and sweating?  Thanks

• 4 months later...

I have been wearing one for over 2 years and I'm kinda sick of it. I actually look okay bald, so think I will just go back to shaving it again until/unless I get a hair transplant. 

If the number of grafts is your issue (you can't get enough grafts for full coverage), then I have some advice that I think will work really well.

Get a HT for your hair line, 3000 grafts will do, even people with a poor donor can get 3000, you can even have a youthful hairline. Then use another 3000 grafts for the rest of your head (body hair can be used for this), basically create a diffuse pattern. Next, get smp all over your diffused area. Doing this will give you 2 options.

Option 1. Grow the front of your hair long and wear a hair system behind, this will look way better than using a standard hair system.

Option 2. Buzz your head. The smp + transplant combo will look way better than smp on its own. 

The great thing is you can switch between them. This is what I plan to do if I cant get enough grafts for full coverage.

Edited by singlefollicle
highlight options

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 4:34 PM, singlefollicle said:

I have been wearing one for over 2 years and I'm kinda sick of it. I actually look okay bald, so think I will just go back to shaving it again until/unless I get a hair transplant. 

If the number of grafts is your issue (you can't get enough grafts for full coverage), then I have some advice that I think will work really well.

Get a HT for your hair line, 3000 grafts will do, even people with a poor donor can get 3000, you can even have a youthful hairline. Then use another 3000 grafts for the rest of your head (body hair can be used for this), basically create a diffuse pattern. Next, get smp all over your diffused area. Doing this will give you 2 options.

Option 1. Grow the front of your hair long and wear a hair system behind, this will look way better than using a standard hair system.

Option 2. Buzz your head. The smp + transplant combo will look way better than smp on its own. 

The great thing is you can switch between them. This is what I plan to do if I cant get enough grafts for full coverage.

3000 in your hairline?  really? 3000 grafts should do more than just the hairline.

The HT plus hair piece has been discussed before and can work well and eliminates the toughest part of wearing...the hairline, unless you don't expose the hairline of course which makes wearing easier.  And getting the right colour/density for the piece behind your natural hair could prove very tricky.

Not sure I would really want to spend all that money and have surgery and still wear.  But never say never.

Hair wearing isn't for everyone, I've been wearing since 2007 and its been an absolute game changer for me, I dread to think what that last 15 years would've been like if I hadn't took the plunge.

Maybe one day I'll have a HT I haven't ruled it out, but wearing has become a part of my life I barely think about it.  

The one thing I've noticed is those who get HT's often continually think about it, how will it turn out, will I have to have more?, are my meds working? etc etc...Some that wear do this also, they become obsessed whether it looks good or not.  Each to their own and all that, find out what's best for you.

Edited by ssimpson7511

• Moderators
22 hours ago, ssimpson7511 said:

The one thing I've noticed is those who get HT's often continually think about it, how will it turn out, will I have to have more?, are my meds working? etc etc...Some that wear do this also, they become obsessed whether it looks good or not.  Each to their own and all that, find out what's best for you.

I've worn a hair system and had hair transplants. If I didn't worry what I look like then I wouldn't have done either and just let my hair fall out and be bald. What I'm saying is the people who get something done, whether it's a hair system, transplants, or just using meds are those who care about looking good with hair, so it's not only those guys who wear hair systems. For me (and I think a lot of guys) it was worse with the hair system because I knew it was fake and once others know then what's the point? They know you are actually bald. Why bother with it? It's not fooling them at that point. At least with a hair transplant it's your real hair growing on your head. You don't take it off.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 1/31/2024 at 6:56 PM, BeHappy said:

I've worn a hair system and had hair transplants. If I didn't worry what I look like then I wouldn't have done either and just let my hair fall out and be bald. What I'm saying is the people who get something done, whether it's a hair system, transplants, or just using meds are those who care about looking good with hair, so it's not only those guys who wear hair systems. For me (and I think a lot of guys) it was worse with the hair system because I knew it was fake and once others know then what's the point? They know you are actually bald. Why bother with it? It's not fooling them at that point. At least with a hair transplant it's your real hair growing on your head. You don't take it off.

Thats not I meant but anyway...As far as knowing it was fake well of course loll, so are veneers, fake eyelashes, fake tans etc... The point is what you feel and look like.  It made me look so much better and gave me much more confidence....as for others knowing well maybe I'm a little different as I mix my piece in with my existing hair so its virtually impossible that anyone would find out unless I told them so I dont have that concern.  I wonder why you put so much weight on what others 'might think'.

But like I said find out what best for you.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, ssimpson7511 said:

As far as knowing it was fake well of course loll, so are veneers, fake eyelashes, fake tans etc... The point is what you feel and look like.

That's true, but I feel like most people think differently when it's hair.... but maybe that's just me.

It made me look so much better and gave me much more confidence.

If it works for you that's great. I'm not trying to steer you or anyone away from hair systems. For me, I was more self conscious about my looks with the hair system. It was a constant worry if anyone could notice it... but I did look better and a lot younger with it if I wasn't looking too closely at it, so I can't argue with that part.

as for others knowing well maybe I'm a little different as I mix my piece in with my existing hair so its virtually impossible that anyone would find out unless I told them so I dont have that concern.

It works best if you have real hair in the front. I had a hair system before I had the hair transplant. When I went for the hair transplant my minimum goal was to get the front half transplanted and only need a hair piece for the crown. I felt I wouldn't be worried about anyone noticing it if the front was real. Unfortunately the HT clinic insisted that they could give me a full head of hair with the HT which would look just as full as the hair piece. Then to make sure they could get as much money as possible from me, they started working in the midscalp and told me they would work in both directions, towards the front and towards the back, in the next several procedures. That made sure I never had a front hairline of real hair to be able to put a hair system behind it.

I wonder why you put so much weight on what others 'might think'

Well if you're a young guy trying to date then it matters what women think. They have to want to date you. I was a young guy at 20 years old and already a NW 5 with a very obvious NW 6 thinning area. It was hard to even do a combover by then because I didn't have enough hair to comb over. I wanted to date young, fit, attractive women age 18 to 22 (my own age range), but every one of them thought I was a creepy, old, bald guy. It matters what they think if you want to date them. That doesn't mean I did it for anyone else. I did it for me... for just the reason I said... because I wanted to be attractive to the opposite sex

But like I said find out what best for you.

I agree.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

22 hours ago, BeHappy said:

It works best if you have real hair in the front. I had a hair system before I had the hair transplant. When I went for the hair transplant my minimum goal was to get the front half transplanted and only need a hair piece for the crown. I felt I wouldn't be worried about anyone noticing it if the front was real. Unfortunately the HT clinic insisted that they could give me a full head of hair with the HT which would look just as full as the hair piece. Then to make sure they could get as much money as possible from me, they started working in the midscalp and told me they would work in both directions, towards the front and towards the back, in the next several procedures. That made sure I never had a front hairline of real hair to be able to put a hair system behind it.

So you wanted basically what I suggested? The great thing about doing that, is that it always gives you the second option I suggested if you get fed up wearing a system. Its a shame you were talked out of it.