Downfalls of a hair system

Packardbell1603

I’m a Norwood 6 and was recently told I could get some frontal coverage through a HT at the cost of an arm and a leg! I decided it wasn’t worth it and thought I’d look at alternatives. 

unfortunately, I have a head shape that just doesn’t look as good as Jason Statham does with no hair so I decided to investigate a HS. I searched YouTube and all the positive reviews and advocates got me excited  but I have two issues. 

1. I have an oily scalp so assume that this would mean regular gluing down etc. I’m just not sure how long it would last and don’t know if I would have the patience after years of not having to style my hair!

2. can I actually believe these guys on YT or are they just being paid to say how amazing their hair systems are? I would definitely want a less flashy vanilla ice look like most of the guys on YouTube so I’m not sure if I can wear a hair system and keep It a ‘decent’ length?

any advice would be appreciated  I’m 41 and would just like at least 10 years of having nice hair as it has been at least 8 years of thinning and baldness..

Sorry I don't have any personal experience with hair systems, but they seem like a decent solution for the average NW6. Have you seen "Jake Kent" on Youtube? He started making hair systems videos fairly recently and seems pretty honest and trustworthy. What do you have to lose by trying it out?

• Valued Contributor

I wore a hair piece for nearly 25 years (well not the same one!). I had a scar along my hairline that I wanted to hide and I was balding. I had brown curly hair and I would buy the hair piece, have my hair dresser color it and perm it. Then she would work her magic with her scissor and cut it into my existing hair. They would last nearly six months and then I would repeat. It was taped on at the front and had clips on the side that would attach to my native hair. However I was open about it to my friends, girlfriends, etc. Everyone told me that it suited it me and that I looked much younger. I think with a hair piece you have to have the personality for it. In summer I wouldn't wear it due to the heat, etc. Also it doesn't have to be expensive for it to look natural. All the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Did you try and consult with Eugenix? They do some amazing work with the high Norwood levels.

I have contacted them and they’re talking of beard transplants and I’m not sure how that would look. It’s also the cost which puts me off a bit but I suppose in the long run, a hair system would also cost quite a bit!

10 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Sorry I don't have any personal experience with hair systems, but they seem like a decent solution for the average NW6. Have you seen "Jake Kent" on Youtube? He started making hair systems videos fairly recently and seems pretty honest and trustworthy. What do you have to lose by trying it out?

Yes I’ve seen him thanks to the YouTube algorithm! It’s the oily scalp issue that isn’t covered by many you tubers that worries me. 

6 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I wore a hair piece for nearly 25 years (well not the same one!). I had a scar along my hairline that I wanted to hide and I was balding. I had brown curly hair and I would buy the hair piece, have my hair dresser color it and perm it. Then she would work her magic with her scissor and cut it into my existing hair. They would last nearly six months and then I would repeat. It was taped on at the front and had clips on the side that would attach to my native hair. However I was open about it to my friends, girlfriends, etc. Everyone told me that it suited it me and that I looked much younger. I think with a hair piece you have to have the personality for it. In summer I wouldn't wear it due to the heat, etc. Also it doesn't have to be expensive for it to look natural. All the best.

Thanks for the reply, definitely agree it is down to every individual and I guess I will never know until I try one!

If it were me and I were going to do a hair piece, I would really have to have a certain amount of confidence to be able to pull it off. I can't speak to them from firsthand experience, but as Gatsby mentioned above, it seems like really owning it and being open about it would be the best bet. I've heard quite a few stories over the years of men who have them and try to keep it a secret, and it typically seems to weigh them down - especially in romantic situations where they feel like they're gonna get "caught". I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you - and if it ends up being a hair system, I hope it really gives you that pep in your step that we're all looking for when addressing our hair loss. :)

• Like 2

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I wore one for 5 years and I totally agree with @Gatsby, you have to have the personality to wear a system. It takes balls of steel to go out wearing a system and you have to be very confident and own it - you wear the hair, the hair doesn't wear you. 

I think wearing a system should be your absolute last resort, exhaust all your other options first. If cost is a deciding factor, it shouldn't be - wearing a system over 10 years will easily cost you more than a HT

There is a very dark side to wearing a system that these buffoon's on YT do not discuss, there is a mental cost to wearing a system and it is by no means an easy option. 

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I hated wearing a hair system. I felt like I had a mop on my head and always felt like it looked fake even if it looked great that day. There was a constant feeling that the edges or hairline was showing. It made me sick to my stomach anytime someone looked at me. I was 20 years old, but I felt like a 45 year old bald man with a toupe. It was a horrible feeling. If I was starting over and had to wear a hair system I would transplant the front and wear a hair system for the crown. That's the only was I can picture myself being able to actually lie with it because that would at least make the front look and actually be real hair.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 9/26/2020 at 12:25 PM, BeHappy said:

I hated wearing a hair system. I felt like I had a mop on my head and always felt like it looked fake even if it looked great that day. There was a constant feeling that the edges or hairline was showing. It made me sick to my stomach anytime someone looked at me. I was 20 years old, but I felt like a 45 year old bald man with a toupe. It was a horrible feeling. If I was starting over and had to wear a hair system I would transplant the front and wear a hair system for the crown. That's the only was I can picture myself being able to actually lie with it because that would at least make the front look and actually be real hair.

That was pretty much my experience with wearing a system too. Really crippled me with anxiety. 

You're definitely right about having a HT for the hairline and wearing a system behind it, I think that's possibly the only way to truly make them look like your real hair. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Valued Contributor

I agree with all of the above comments. You have to have a lot of confidence and feel and know that you look better than not wearing a hair piece. I have a lot of scars and in many ways I was wearing a hair piece as much to hide my scars as I was to hide my baldness. For me I felt like I was putting on a suit when I wore it. 😁 But I was straight up front with all my friends before decided to wear it. I was around 25 and we had a wig party so you really need to own it with pride! If not it just becomes another thing to worry about. Eventually though you will end up sick of it. Whether it's the routine of it, the cost of it, etc. And the problem is it's like heroin. Once you wear a hair system for years it's almost impossible to get out of wearing one. I was done though and with SMP I finally felt free for the first time since I was 18!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

A ht + system could work be a little tricky matching density with the hairline.  Some people like those posting on this thread had anxiety about wearing yet others have the opposite effect the anxiety dissipates when they wore because it stopped them feeling insecure about their hair loss, everyone's different.

I wore a really small piece and have gone through times of not wearing, i can achieve a similar look with my existing hair, and if anything i felt much more conscious when i wasn't wearing even though i pretty much looked the same.  The piece did make me feel more secure and i actually thought less about my hair with it than without it.

Edited by ssimpson7511

• 3 weeks later...

I understand how you feel. I have been bold since my 20's, and it was not the best experience so far.  The worst part about being bald is that you just end up visiting different practitioners that promise your results, and you actually never get one. I have come to the conclusion that most of the medical offices for all kinds of issues are not that effective anymore. In fact, if you go through an online medical consultation service you will probably be able to get much faster and better results in terms of where to do the transplant and the procedures.

Edited by Gwyndolin

I researched and studied hair systems for the better part of the last 3 years and I can say a few things with certainty, especially after trying one myself one day, some of which have already been stated in this thread:

-it is true IMO that you have to be on a certain level personality wise (balls of steel confidence as one said) to truly pull off wearing a system. I don't care how amazing they can look today (which they can) and I don't care how many YouTubers are out there (with a few thousand followers only mind you) explaining how great they can be. The harsh reality is that hairpieces still have a very negative stigma attached to them and yes, 80% of people if not more will laugh or at least think weird of you behind your back after they ever found out you are wearing. It's just that simple. If you are very unsure about wearing or have even the slightest bit of general anxiety you are really going to have an uphill battle because they are, at least initially, going to be a solid amount of work and a huge undertaking for one to deal with, both physically and emotionally/mentally.

-Yes, most of these YouTubers do have money coming in somehow and will never flat out bash hair systems or tell you how awful they CAN be, which is the case for a lot of guys imo. That being said, some of them are great and can be very helpful, especially Curtis at MHE.

-Speaking of which, it also takes a very "creative" and "handy" type of guy to pull off a system. Glue, tape, cotton balls, adhesive remover, etc. You name it, you'll have to deal with it, and trust me from trying one myself, it just ain't fun, and I even consider myself to be handy/creative.

-If you're going out in the hot sun in the summer, whether it be to a beach or to a friends backyard BBQ you may as well always wear a hat. The bond has a 50/50 chance I'd say of breaking down in serious heat and you don't want any of that glue or even a lift showing. This alone was one of the things that just made me say F it as if I had a hair system full time I would only want to worry about it when it came to the bathroom maintenance. Truth is, you'll always be kinda worried about the hairline, at least if you rock an exposed hairline which is typically a go to look for most men in 2021. Don't get me wrong I don't think the system would "own" me or "run my life", but the bottom line is that it would be something always in the back of my mind. I would put my fibers and hairspray in everyday and while that was hell, at least when I left the house I never thought about it again (unless I was somehow someway caught in a downpour). The system would actually be much worse than fibers ever were, for me at least, and I'd imagine many other men.

-I used to think a HT was the last resort for balding men. I've since changed my stance in that hair systems are the last resort.

-For me personally the only way I could ever see myself wearing a system full time one day is if it was my real hairline (transplant possibly) and having a low density system behind it. Would that be hell to pull off as far as maintenance goes? Absolutely. But at least I would be able to go out and live life without worrying about dirt on my hairline front and center for people to see, or whatever else may go wrong up front.

Edited by SD1984
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 7:06 AM, SD1984 said:

I researched and studied hair systems for the better part of the last 3 years and I can say a few things with certainty, especially after trying one myself one day, some of which have already been stated in this thread:

-it is true IMO that you have to be on a certain level personality wise (balls of steel confidence as one said) to truly pull off wearing a system. I don't care how amazing they can look today (which they can) and I don't care how many YouTubers are out there (with a few thousand followers only mind you) explaining how great they can be. The harsh reality is that hairpieces still have a very negative stigma attached to them and yes, 80% of people if not more will laugh or at least think weird of you behind your back after they ever found out you are wearing. It's just that simple. If you are very unsure about wearing or have even the slightest bit of general anxiety you are really going to have an uphill battle because they are, at least initially, going to be a solid amount of work and a huge undertaking for one to deal with, both physically and emotionally/mentally.

-Yes, most of these YouTubers do have money coming in somehow and will never flat out bash hair systems or tell you how awful they CAN be, which is the case for a lot of guys imo. That being said, some of them are great and can be very helpful, especially Curtis at MHE.

-Speaking of which, it also takes a very "creative" and "handy" type of guy to pull off a system. Glue, tape, cotton balls, adhesive remover, etc. You name it, you'll have to deal with it, and trust me from trying one myself, it just ain't fun, and I even consider myself to be handy/creative.

-If you're going out in the hot sun in the summer, whether it be to a beach or to a friends backyard BBQ you may as well always wear a hat. The bond has a 50/50 chance I'd say of breaking down in serious heat and you don't want any of that glue or even a lift showing. This alone was one of the things that just made me say F it as if I had a hair system full time I would only want to worry about it when it came to the bathroom maintenance. Truth is, you'll always be kinda worried about the hairline, at least if you rock an exposed hairline which is typically a go to look for most men in 2021. Don't get me wrong I don't think the system would "own" me or "run my life", but the bottom line is that it would be something always in the back of my mind. I would put my fibers and hairspray in everyday and while that was hell, at least when I left the house I never thought about it again (unless I was somehow someway caught in a downpour). The system would actually be much worse than fibers ever were, for me at least, and I'd imagine many other men.

-I used to think a HT was the last resort for balding men. I've since changed my stance in that hair systems are the last resort.

-For me personally the only way I could ever see myself wearing a system full time one day is if it was my real hairline (transplant possibly) and having a low density system behind it. Would that be hell to pull off as far as maintenance goes? Absolutely. But at least I would be able to go out and live life without worrying about dirt on my hairline front and center for people to see, or whatever else may go wrong up front.

Wow, Alot of Blanket statements there with little regard to the countless individual factors and variables.

Pretty typical though (not just yours but many posts on this thread)...when people are disappointed in what they held great hope in being their solution to a big problem, the negatives of the subject get Magnified, the positives are Minimized, and the personal struggles are over generalized.

But I get it...that's just human nature...it's difficult to wish for other's success in a venture that was a failure for you.

Edited by Jake1979

Thanks Jake1979 for pointing that out. After a couple failed transplants and all those pills and foams and scars, I’m 53 and seriously thin on top! I’ve worked extremely hard all my life and now have plenty of cash!! I’m going to find the best HS available and rock it!! Guess it’s hats at the beach and barbecues for me but at night look out.. full head of hair for me!!! Whoo Hooo I’ve always had balls of steel but I just look better with Hair! I’ve come So close to just shaving so many times but my girlfriend begs me not too. If I had a head like statham I’d already be slick..I’ll post pics as soon as I get my rug! 😃

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hairnomo said:

Thanks Jake1979 for pointing that out. After a couple failed transplants and all those pills and foams and scars, I’m 53 and seriously thin on top! I’ve worked extremely hard all my life and now have plenty of cash!! I’m going to find the best HS available and rock it!! Guess it’s hats at the beach and barbecues for me but at night look out.. full head of hair for me!!! Whoo Hooo I’ve always had balls of steel but I just look better with Hair! I’ve come So close to just shaving so many times but my girlfriend begs me not too. If I had a head like statham I’d already be slick..I’ll post pics as soon as I get my rug! 😃

Good luck to you with your hair system journey bro! Sounds like u have a great attitude about it going in, and I think a healthy and realistic perspective is vital. 

I've also had some failed procedures, and rogaine and finasteride have done little to help regrow hair but have rather helped me keep what I have left.

For me I feel this is something I can do to make myself look better, and I'm approaching it with the mindset that if I'm found out for "wearing" I honestly dont care bc this is for me and not for everyone else who really couldn't care less anyway. I'd say the vast majority of people are concerned with their own appearance, not mine LOL

Is there going to be work involved? Yes

Will there be some hard days? Yes

Will I be neurotic and paranoid at first? Yes

Is that all just part of the journey and will it be worth it in the end? Yes! Anything worth having in life is almost never easy and almost always involves work and some struggle! 

I ordered my first system last week and have my first install appointment in less than 2 weeks. I'm pretty excited! :)

4 hours ago, Hairnomo said:

Best wishes to you Jake! I’m excited for you.. Anything in life worth anything is always work! The bigger the effort the better the reward 🥳

Amen to that brother and I'm excited for you also! 

Let's hope a short time from now you and I are back here sharing our success stories with each other :)

I would love to see pics of your hair systems once they're done. 

Thanks for all the reponses guys, it definitely isn't for everyone but at the same time I still think it's worth a shot - what have you got to lose vs what you have to gain? I think there are far more positives. 

Undergoing a surgical transplant will always carry a risk, no matter how low the chance of something going wrong is. A hair system is much safer in my opinion. I'm sure at first it will be a strange feeling but after a while you will get used to it.

A final parting thought: Beyonce wears a hair system and so do many other celebrities. She would still be pretty high up on my list! 😁

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, just wanted to report back with my experience with hair system.

I'm approaching the 3 month mark of wearing and so far it's been pretty great.

I had an extremely bad first week. My stylist did a perimeter tape bond, but put water based glue in the center of my lace base unit.

I did not understand the importance of brushing regularly and thoroughly and so developed some tangles and knots when I first washed "my" hair, where I think the glue seeped thru into the hair and knotted it up pretty badly.

After that I never used glue again, just tape on perimeter and I've been a habitual brusher LOL, I've had no more tangle issues since then so the rookie mistake taught me a valuable lesson moving forward.

I'm kind of amazed how light and cool the unit feels on my head, especially bc i started this journey during the hottest 3 months of the year in an extremely hot and humid region of the US. I honestly forget it's on my head.

As far as getting ready in the morning it takes like no time at all, so quick and easy. Took me longer to shave my head. And the gym and sweating has been no problem either. The bond holds for about 18 days, and by that point only the front hairline breaks down and lifts, sides and back still good.

I did my first at home diy detatch/reattach maintenance and cleaning a few days ago. I watched several YouTube tutorials on this, best one I found was one by MG Ford. Curtis MHE has some good ones as well. It took me a couple of hours but I really took my time with it and it was my first attempt, and it came out really good.

I also cut and dye my own bio hair and have purchased Back2Natural color deposit conditioner which I'll use, next time I take it off, to dye the hair system back to darker to get some of the red tones out.

I definitely have been happy with it so far. Much more manageable than I anticipated and I feel like once u learn to do the maintenance at home yourself and have the proper products (glue, tape, scalp protector, c22 etc.) it gives u much more control over your own life with a system.

Also, still pretty amazed at how natural it looks. I know some on this thread mentioned the paranoia with wearing a system. I just don't have that bc I know it looks good. I honestly had paranoia with SMP, but not the hair system.

Hopefully I can continue to have a great experiences with wearing systems, this has really helped my confidence tremendously:)

Edited by Jake1979
  • Like 3