Downfalls of a hair system

I’m a Norwood 6 and was recently told I could get some frontal coverage through a HT at the cost of an arm and a leg! I decided it wasn’t worth it and thought I’d look at alternatives. 

unfortunately, I have a head shape that just doesn’t look as good as Jason Statham does with no hair so I decided to investigate a HS. I searched YouTube and all the positive reviews and advocates got me excited  but I have two issues. 

1. I have an oily scalp so assume that this would mean regular gluing down etc. I’m just not sure how long it would last and don’t know if I would have the patience after years of not having to style my hair!

2. can I actually believe these guys on YT or are they just being paid to say how amazing their hair systems are? I would definitely want a less flashy vanilla ice look like most of the guys on YouTube so I’m not sure if I can wear a hair system and keep It a ‘decent’ length?

any advice would be appreciated  I’m 41 and would just like at least 10 years of having nice hair as it has been at least 8 years of thinning and baldness..

Sorry I don't have any personal experience with hair systems, but they seem like a decent solution for the average NW6. Have you seen "Jake Kent" on Youtube? He started making hair systems videos fairly recently and seems pretty honest and trustworthy. What do you have to lose by trying it out?

I wore a hair piece for nearly 25 years (well not the same one!). I had a scar along my hairline that I wanted to hide and I was balding. I had brown curly hair and I would buy the hair piece, have my hair dresser color it and perm it. Then she would work her magic with her scissor and cut it into my existing hair. They would last nearly six months and then I would repeat. It was taped on at the front and had clips on the side that would attach to my native hair. However I was open about it to my friends, girlfriends, etc. Everyone told me that it suited it me and that I looked much younger. I think with a hair piece you have to have the personality for it. In summer I wouldn't wear it due to the heat, etc. Also it doesn't have to be expensive for it to look natural. All the best.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Did you try and consult with Eugenix? They do some amazing work with the high Norwood levels.

I have contacted them and they’re talking of beard transplants and I’m not sure how that would look. It’s also the cost which puts me off a bit but I suppose in the long run, a hair system would also cost quite a bit!

10 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Sorry I don't have any personal experience with hair systems, but they seem like a decent solution for the average NW6. Have you seen "Jake Kent" on Youtube? He started making hair systems videos fairly recently and seems pretty honest and trustworthy. What do you have to lose by trying it out?

Yes I’ve seen him thanks to the YouTube algorithm! It’s the oily scalp issue that isn’t covered by many you tubers that worries me. 

6 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I wore a hair piece for nearly 25 years (well not the same one!). I had a scar along my hairline that I wanted to hide and I was balding. I had brown curly hair and I would buy the hair piece, have my hair dresser color it and perm it. Then she would work her magic with her scissor and cut it into my existing hair. They would last nearly six months and then I would repeat. It was taped on at the front and had clips on the side that would attach to my native hair. However I was open about it to my friends, girlfriends, etc. Everyone told me that it suited it me and that I looked much younger. I think with a hair piece you have to have the personality for it. In summer I wouldn't wear it due to the heat, etc. Also it doesn't have to be expensive for it to look natural. All the best.

Thanks for the reply, definitely agree it is down to every individual and I guess I will never know until I try one!

If it were me and I were going to do a hair piece, I would really have to have a certain amount of confidence to be able to pull it off. I can't speak to them from firsthand experience, but as Gatsby mentioned above, it seems like really owning it and being open about it would be the best bet. I've heard quite a few stories over the years of men who have them and try to keep it a secret, and it typically seems to weigh them down - especially in romantic situations where they feel like they're gonna get "caught". I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you - and if it ends up being a hair system, I hope it really gives you that pep in your step that we're all looking for when addressing our hair loss. :)

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I wore one for 5 years and I totally agree with @Gatsby, you have to have the personality to wear a system. It takes balls of steel to go out wearing a system and you have to be very confident and own it - you wear the hair, the hair doesn't wear you. 

I think wearing a system should be your absolute last resort, exhaust all your other options first. If cost is a deciding factor, it shouldn't be - wearing a system over 10 years will easily cost you more than a HT

There is a very dark side to wearing a system that these buffoon's on YT do not discuss, there is a mental cost to wearing a system and it is by no means an easy option. 

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1