Time to recover from a HT FUE

I am getting married in early July and scheduled a FUE HT surgery in November. I’m a NW 2/3 and getting roughly 1,500 grafts to fill my corners and front/lower my hairline a tad bit. 

However, I’m a bit worried with the timeline and recovery of it all. Is this enough time to recover and see results? After reading through it looks like it will be as I like to keep my hair short (2/3 length on top with a fade) but would appreciate any insights from the community.

I am going to MHTA to see Dr Diep for this.

If you keep your hair at a 2/3 gaurd on top with a 0/1 fade on the sides you should definitely reconsider hair transplantation. Most if not all transplants need some length to camoflouge non-native density. Hair transplants can never achieve native density before any hair loss. They use a layering effect to create the illusion of density. This works better when the hair is longer on top. If your mind is made up on restoring your hairline then I would recommend changing your hairstyle from the buzzcut. Especially if you're going to Diep. He recently has been transplanting in rows and his angles are less acute than other surgeons. This will look especially telling with short hairstyles. Also, he uses larger punches for extraction and limits his extraction to one side of your head on smaller cases. This might be hard to camouflage with a 0/1 gaurd and the scars might show. Be very careful with your decision as this will effect your appearance for the rest of your life. 

Edited by ruca2
  • Like 3

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

3 hours ago, ruca2 said:

If you keep your hair at a 2/3 gaurd on top with a 0/1 fade on the sides you should definitely reconsider hair transplantation. Most if not all transplants need some length to camoflouge non-native density. Hair transplants can never achieve native density before any hair loss. They use a layering effect to create the illusion of density. This works better when the hair is longer on top. If your mind is made up on restoring your hairline then I would recommend changing your hairstyle from the buzzcut. Especially if you're going to Diep. He recently has been transplanting in rows and his angles are less acute than other surgeons. This will look especially telling with short hairstyles. Also, he uses larger punches for extraction and limits his extraction to one side of your head on smaller cases. This might be hard to camouflage with a 0/1 gaurd and the scars might show. Be very careful with your decision as this will effect your appearance for the rest of your life. 

Random question but many people claim fue is the way to go if they want to keep “short hairstyles.” Is this referring only to the donor areas being kept short, not the entire recipient/head as well?

• Administrators

You’re getting married in June and having surgery this November? That’s about 7 months. That’s long enough to see some results, but it all depends on your growth rate. Everyone is different. Some get a lot of growth by 7 months, and others are halfway.

You should be fully healed by that time. Remember, even if you don’t look 100% you can always use hair loss concealers like dermmatch or toppik, which will make you look perfect on your special day 😎

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You'd be cutting it pretty close with that timeline, but I agree it's a pretty safe bet. I had great results at 8 months, but I also was an early grower. Everyone grows at a different rate, but at the very least, your scalp will be completely healed by then and you'll be long past the ugly duckling phase - so I don't think you have a lot to lose tbh. If you have great results by then, great! If not, it will most definitely be an improvement from where you are now. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

19 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Random question but many people claim fue is the way to go if they want to keep “short hairstyles.” Is this referring only to the donor areas being kept short, not the entire recipient/head as well?

Yes this is referring only to the donor area. There is no difference in the two techniques after the extractions. The implantation of grafts is the same and both will look better with longer hair in the recipient area. 

• Thanks 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

At 8 months you are right on the borderline of where you may or may not have reasonable results.  Even if you have average growth you will be presentable if your surgeon is good.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Thanks everyone for the input and advice. My hair does grow fairly quick and I should have shared photos (attached) of my hair now. I might consider rescheduling this since I’ll be cutting it close and don’t want the additional stress of this.

62C82AAE-02B5-4B50-9A17-DC297DC9C911.jpeg

7804506A-F1E1-42C0-97C2-A10B04F9ECBC.png

174E27DB-9852-4D67-844C-D85335599CE5.png

Edited by Getting

Just fill the temples, I’ve always had a pretty big forehead which sucks so don’t want to lower it too much. Just looking to fill the front and temples a bit. I have pretty thick hair and in the past my barber would take me to design competitions and do some crazy design in my head but I still believe the shit he did thinned my hair but obviously that’s not true lol

Edited by Getting

18 minutes ago, transplantedphil said:

i want your hair. wait where is the extra hair going again?

I agree, the view from the helicopter looking straight down ... I don't see the clearing where we can land?! :D

So just the temples and the hairline a little -those are the most visible areas and hard to conceal. Would you mind posting some pics from the sides?

26 minutes ago, ciaus said:

I agree, the view from the helicopter looking straight down ... I don't see the clearing where we can land?! :D

So just the temples and the hairline a little -those are the most visible areas and hard to conceal. Would you mind posting some pics from the sides?

7CEB4FD2-6C20-4908-A6B6-3280D9304A91.png

22 minutes ago, transplantedphil said:

honest advice here ... i dont think its worth it buddy. and im sure your fiance will still marry you without the extra 3mm of hair youre looking to fill in. (i could be wrong though and its just how you wear your hair ... worn back or up usually reveals the weaknesses).

spend the money youll save on more alcohol for the wedding party

Thank you really appreciate the advice. I’ll just use toppik on the big day and hopefully get my refund for the deposit. I’m hopeful they can return it since it’s only been a two weeks since I booked. 

6 minutes ago, transplantedphil said:

1725582484_ScreenShot2020-09-16at1_34_47pm.png.1455b066c36c7e97dfb6b4454fcb279c.png

if thats the area youre roughly looking to cover im honestly not sure where 1500 grafts would go.

but again its how you wear your hair. that style manages to hide everything pretty naturally.

Yeah it’s that spot and my hairstyle does conceal is well.... but I wanted to not conceal it as much and just be able to not have to comb my hair down as much but after seeing these comments it looks like HT isn’t a great option and can make my situation even worse which would devastate me right before my wedding. :( especially after all the negative Diep reviews here.

Yea good call, HTs are even more risky, not to mention more $ w/smaller procedures, when you are already in a pretty good position. And while probabilities for success go up with great doctors, there's still no such thing as a sure thing.

Looking at your sides, the way your hair clumps together in places, mine does that too occasionally and I run my brush from the bottom upwards, instead of down, so the hairs separate, then guide the hair back down with my hand with pats so it more evenly covers the area they naturally lay over, then spray to hold. Something you may want to try every day or on the day.

Now where exactly will you be parking all the extra beer? :D

Edited by ciaus

Glad you're reassessing this, because I agree that based on the photos and what you're desired outcome is, I really don't think getting a HT is worth it at this stage. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Why on earth would you get a HT?!? 🙈 Glad you're rethinking this too!  Good advice from everyone above. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks everyone for the advice, it’s greatly appreciated. I actually brought this up to my fiancé and she laughed saying that I didn’t need a HT so looks like she agrees with you all. 

Planning to possibly get iRestore laser therapy and continue with .5 mg of fin and Minoxidil to keep what I have.

• Administrators

Bro, 

You would be crazy to get a hair transplant. Take that money and enjoy your honeymoon, we’ll be here when the time comes 😬

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Haha seriously! The clinic won’t give me back that initial deposit but they offered to let me reschedule it a year out which I’m planning to do (next year in September) which seems like a great time. Thank you again. Great community here!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 6:39 PM, Getting said:

Haha seriously! The clinic won’t give me back that initial deposit but they offered to let me reschedule it a year out which I’m planning to do (next year in September) which seems like a great time. Thank you again. Great community here!

Well we look forward to hearing back from you down the road once you're a MARRIED MAN! Congrats on that, and happy wedding planning. :)