Taking finasteride every other day ?

• Moderators

I know there are a number of men who go with the every other day routine to cut down on side effects, so I don't think it will significantly change your results.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

Finasteride has a long half life, so taking it EOD works well, even taking it M,W,F works.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Dunno if this is relevant or not but I did 6 months on generic Finasteride for the 1st time 1mg ED and found I was suffering from low libido and mood swings but didn’t kinda realise until I stopped for a month when I had my HT. , thought it just might be down to work , stress etc. Obviously I was eager to get back on meds after the HT so went from generic Finasteride to branded Propecia taking 0.5mg MWF I’m not 100% sure that the dosage I’m taking is enough but from research at least I’m getting some meds inside me. I find it to be a little mixed but far better than the 6 months on generic, most days I’m perfectly fine then other days I’m thinking where’s my dick gone and feeling down in the dumps (pissed off) I think the EOD seems to work for me at the moment, obviously I’d prefer not to be on it at all, but wouldn’t we all. 

16 minutes ago, Pauls said:

until I stopped for a month when I had my HT.

Why did you stop finasteride for the HT? Stopping minoxidil makes sense because it expands your blood vessels and can cause excessive bleeding during the surgery. I never stopped finasteride for a procedure and the doc knew I was taking it.

In fairness I ran out a few days before my HT and with all the medication I was given after my procedure to take I just never got around to ordering more. Before I knew it a few weeks had passed and like I said I did notice a change in myself. 

I have been cutting Proscar for years and been taking it every other day for years with long term efficiency.

I did not have sides...I know it has a long shelf life and why take it daily if I do not need to.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If you cut a 5mg Proscar tablet, the average dose comes out higher than .5

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY