Please help - getting sides from finasteride

Pinkyandthebrain

Hi guys,

I've been on Proscar for 10 months now. I cut it into quarters (so around 1.2mg) and take it on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I'm still getting loss of libido and lot less frequent erections though. I've tried to cut the tablets into 0.6mg so I'll see how this goes - I assume such a small dosage Monday, Wednesday, Friday will still be effective?

I'm Norwood 5a and considering a transplant but I really can't proceed until I can hold back the dht with no sides - it's a really frustrating limbo to be in. My question to you guys is, what alternatives can I pursue to inhibit dht if this doesn't work? Do you suggest topical finasteride or any other alternatives?

• Administrators

You may want to switch to Propecia, and then cut the pills into halves. I know with proscar, since it's 5mg you may be getting a higher dose with certain pills. There is no way to say for sure that you are getting 1.25 mg. I experienced sides with proscar following the same routine. I do think Propecia was created for a reason. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You may want to switch to Propecia, and then cut the pills into halves. I know with proscar, since it's 5mg you may be getting a higher dose with certain pills. There is no way to say for sure that you are getting 1.25 mg. I experienced sides with proscar following the same routine. I do think Propecia was created for a reason. 

hey melvin

are you considering to restart propecia ?  as i believe that only minox wont be able to save your hair , and i even suspect that after a few years if not on dht blockers you might even risk , loosing density of the  transplanted hair , coz as we know now even donor hair are susceptible  to the effects of dht . and topical finasteride is known to work poorly . share your thoughts .

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, jolly said:

hey melvin

are you considering to restart propecia ?  as i believe that only minox wont be able to save your hair , and i even suspect that after a few years if not on dht blockers you might even risk , loosing density of the  transplanted hair , coz as we know now even donor hair are susceptible  to the effects of dht . and topical finasteride is known to work poorly . share your thoughts .

No I’m not planning to restart finasteride. At this point, I’d rather go bald then deal with sides. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

42 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

No I’m not planning to restart finasteride. At this point, I’d rather go bald then deal with sides. 

yes i echo the same . i do not want to risk my endocrine system and have maybe permanent side effects , as the horror stories keep mounting year after year ... been following propecia since 2012 and the horror stories have never ceased till date ...... just waiting to see if some working alternative comes along .

• Like 1

Thank Melvin, I'll give regular Finasteride a try and divide it up. It's a real nightmare getting sides - I just don't feel good about getting a transplant as a Norwood 5a without anti-dht treatment,  knowing I'll probably end up a 6/7 one day 😐

Edited by Pinkyandthebrain

About the 1mg finasteride brand Propecia, if money is no object you can go ahead with that. But there are generics too, the same 1mg finasteride, that will save you alot of $$ comparatively and do the same. There was a recent thread about some international users having issues with some generic brand they were using, but I'm in the USA and have been using generic 1mg finasteride for years since Propecia went off patent. You can get it through your pharmacy or subscription sites like keeps.com

Keep your eyes on this too, its a topical DHT blocker that works up on your hair follicles at the receptor level, instead of lowering your DHT levels. The FDA just approved a weaker version for treating acne and there is work towards getting a stronger dosage for hair loss approved within the next few years.

39 minutes ago, AB2000 said:

Is this at all true?

yes unfortunately even donor hair can thin. and I've read some topics around the forum lately regarding topical finasteride and the general consensus is that its not as effective as the pill form, but I haven't looked much into it. And the topical is supposed to be more expensive. But I did just do a quick search just now and this article references some studies that seem to indicate the oral and topical are about equally effective, though among its conclusions are that the topical formulation hasn't been studied extensively yet.

https://hairverse.com/topical-finasteride/

I've had success combating sides with Test Boost pills from Amazon and megabol InhAR blocker tablets.

God knows what that's doing to my body but it makes things work as they should, at least.

It's very effective against Proscar but since I've gone back to using my batch of Aindeem it hasn't done much. For me, these Aindeem pills are the devil.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon