Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For a long time I have been interested in Dr. Diep due to his YouTube collection over the years. However after reading a lot of recent negative reviews about him in this forum, I want to broaden my options. Dr. Hasson seemed like an awesome surgeon, but unfortunately he is in Canada. I cannot leave the states currently. I would love to hear from others on here who they think are really good hair transplant surgeons!

My hair loss is progressing to a Norwood 6. I have realistic goals. I don't need to lower my hairline to anything crazy. I just want to have good coverage on my crown area and then work upwards. I understand I may need multiple procedures. I do not take Finasteride due to side effects. The only preventative measures I take are Biotin supplements, iRestore low level laser therapy, and Nioxin shampoo. I tried shaving my head during quarantine and 100% do not want to be bald for the rest of my life. Hair transplant is the way to go for me. 

I am 26 years old currently, here is a photo of my scalp:

 

top 1.jpg

back 2.jpg

Edited by baldiee
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey man, you came to the right place. That is really aggressive hair loss for your age, so I feel for you. I also tried a short buzz for many years and ultimately decided I didn’t want to live that wa

Yes beard hair has been added in many successful cases. As a long term game plan you firstly would need to concentrate on the FUT. And only when you have exhausted your donor area would you consi

the bottom of your neck (nape area) and the region above the ears are what are partial to retrograde alopecia. I highlighted your nape region which IMO appears to be thinning. 

Posted Images

Hey man, you came to the right place. That is really aggressive hair loss for your age, so I feel for you. I also tried a short buzz for many years and ultimately decided I didn’t want to live that way. I waited a long time and did my research before getting surgery, bc making the wrong choice can put you in much worse condition.

After years of watching and waiting, there was one and only one surgeon for me: Ray Konior. He’s less visible than some of the other big names because he just lets his work speak for itself. He’s expensive, but you have to accept the cost of doing this right. If you let the price steer you, then I pray God have mercy on your scalp. 
 

Now, looking at your pictures, I’m wondering whether you 100% want to start in the crown. I wouldn’t bank on having anything in the front for long, and that’s where most of us start. The crown is much less important in your overall appearance. You never know what your situation will be in the future, and it would suck to fill up the crown, lose the front and run out of money to chase it. You WILL need at least 2 surgeries, more likely 3-4.

Just some things to think about. I wish you good luck, sir.

 

Edited by Taken4Granted
  • Like 4

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame you can’t take fin, have you tried at a low dose? Be a shame not to retain what hair you have at present.
your hair looks wet in the pic? Seems you still have plenty of hair on your hairline at present.

I agree with the above statement. Concentrate on rebuilding and reinforcing your frontal third for your first Ht.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Taken4Granted said:

Hey man, you came to the right place. That is really aggressive hair loss for your age, so I feel for you. I also tried a short buzz for many years and ultimately decided I didn’t want to live that way. I waited a long time and did my research before getting surgery, bc making the wrong choice can put you in much worse condition.

After years of watching and waiting, there was one and only one surgeon for me: Ray Konior. He’s less visible than some of the other big names because he just lets his work speak for itself. He’s expensive, but you have to accept the cost of doing this right. If you let the price steer you, then I pray God have mercy on your scalp. 
 

Now, looking at your pictures, I’m wondering whether you 100% want to start in the crown. I wouldn’t bank on having anything in the front for long, and that’s where most of us start. The crown is much less important in your overall appearance. You never know what your situation will be in the future, and it would suck to fill up the crown, lose the front and run out of money to chase it. You WILL need at least 2 surgeries, more likely 3-4.

Just some things to think about. I wish you good luck, sir.

 

Thank you! I will look up Ray Konior! I am also a short guy (5'5). I feel awkward with a huge bald spot in the crown area. It bothers me the most personally. Maybe not do full coverage at the crown, but enough to make it look normal? And then focus the rest on bringing the temples forward and adding density to the mid-scalp. Fortunately, I am in an occupation that pays well. Money isn't a steering factor! 

 

37 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Shame you can’t take fin, have you tried at a low dose? Be a shame not to retain what hair you have at present.
your hair looks wet in the pic? Seems you still have plenty of hair on your hairline at present.

I agree with the above statement. Concentrate on rebuilding and reinforcing your frontal third for your first Ht.

 

I have tried finasteride two or three different times. I had decreased semen volume and decreased libido. I do not want to give up my sexual life for hair haha. Wish there was a better drug. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, baldiee said:

 

I have tried finasteride two or three different times. I had decreased semen volume and decreased libido. I do not want to give up my sexual life for hair haha. Wish there was a better drug. 

 

About a better drug, keep an eye on clascoterone, the FDA just approved a 1% solution formula for treating acne and there's work being done to get a stronger solution approved within the next few years to treat hairloss. Its not a pill, you apply it topically like rogaine, etc. While finasteride works at the horomone production level of dht, clascoterone works at the other end up in your scalp in your hair follicle receptors, preventing the dht from binding to those receptors. Since it doesn't mess with your horomone levels you'll probably have a better chance of tolerating that.

Also since you said in your previous post that you make some pretty good money, in the meantime you may want to look into trying topical finasteride, some guys that get sides with the pills have been able to tolerate a topical formula, though I hear its more expensive than the pills.

 

And I don't know if you've ever tried daily concealers like Dermmatch or Toppik fibers, but they can be used pretty effectively to help give the appearance of more hair density if you have some actual hair to work with. They could be a factor in your overall plans, getting an acceptable density with the transplants and then supplementing that with the concealers to accomplish your overall look. 

Here's links to recent forum topics on clascoterone and dermmatch

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The crown is well known as being the black hole for grafts. It’s the front I would be concentrating on. This is what you need to frame your face, and then work backwards. As you are heading for a Norwood 6 then you need to be thinking how to use your donor grafts wisely.

Its the front of your hair that you and everyone else sees. Maybe think about the crown on your 2nd Ht ? Depending on your results from your first transplant.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taken4Granted said:

After years of watching and waiting, there was one and only one surgeon for me: Ray Konior. He’s less visible than some of the other big names because he just lets his work speak for itself. He’s expensive, but you have to accept the cost of doing this right. If you let the price steer you, then I pray God have mercy on your scalp. 

💯 If you have the money then this is a no brainer.  I'd love to see some pics with your hair dry and of the hairline.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr Raymond Konior. Chicago Hair Institute. There's not much else to say. If you have the money he is your best option. He will divise a plan for the long term and give you an excellent restoration. Like others have mentioned it's better to start in the front and work backwards. 

  • Like 2

Bosley Dr. Krenitsky 11-2016 FUE 1407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE 2024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE 2076 grafts

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would begin at the end and work backwards. If it's H+W or whichever surgeon you choose, I would consider waiting for travel restrictions to ease and go with the surgeon who is the best for your situation (which may indeed be Dr Konior anyway). I say this because a hair transplant surgery/s is for life. I'm a Norwood 6/7 and I've chosen Eugenix in India because to me, they have a great track record of working with Norwood 6/7 patients. I've been waiting since early this year and it won't be until well into next year before I will be free to fly there due to Covid. But it's the end result that I am chasing. All the best!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Konior is the obvious choice it's already been mentioned but your 26 you have your whole life ahead of you waiting another year or 2 so your not limited to which doctor your choose is worth thinking about the results will be with you a lifetime. I know Its disheartening when you see yourself thinning/receding but id rather suffer short term for a better end result. With that said it might be worth looking at Dr Wong he has some impressive crown work from FUT also Dr Bloxham is worth a mention he does clean work and seems to take a very sensible conservative approach he uploads on YouTube regularly and I find his videos are very transparent so you get a good grasp of what's achievable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, I want to thank you guys so much for being so welcoming and supportive. I am new to this community. But you guys make me feel less alone. It has been a very depressing last 10 years of losing hair. I wanted to give you guys an update on my hair. Those first two pictures were actually from 2 years ago. I recently shaved my head, but I can show you what my hair looks now. I'll update it once it grows out more.

Do you guys think I have good donor hair? Do you think I can do 3 hair transplants over my life time? Am I a good hair transplant candidate/patient?

Most of you guys are saying to work from the front first, then the crown. Is that a better strategy? The crown bothers me a lot though. I was wondering if I could do crown first and then working upwards. Because of the progression of my hair loss. I'm scared to do the front, and then have a patchy midscalp/crown area. I wouldn't mind a high hairline/big forehead. 

Me at 17 years old vs me now at 26 years old:

 

IMG_5295.jpg

top 3.PNG

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

Edited by baldiee
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure you can get a lot of grafts from a FUT. Have you sent your pics to any Drs/Clinics yet ?

How is your beard? It’s possible to use this if you want to truly maximise your graft potential. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

33 minutes ago, baldiee said:

Am I a good hair transplant candidate/patient?

IMG_5278.jpg

Ideally you should send these pics to H&W and Konior and let them assess you. To my untrained eye it looks like you have retrograde alopecia, and given your inability to take finasteride combined with your aggressive hairloss at such a young age means you might end up a NW7 ... which doesnt really make you the best candidate for surgery. 

The reason the crown is done last (some clinics wont touch it at until a patient hits 35 years once the MPB has been established) is that your sides can drop and leave you with an island of hair in the middle. Its called "halo of baldness" in the literature. Should you decide to pursue a HT you need to approach things VERY conservatively with a long term plan in place, preferable a high hairline to frame your face and the consideration of body hair to supplement your loss. 

 

 

  • Like 2

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Pretty sure you can get a lot of grafts from a FUT. Have you sent your pics to any Drs/Clinics yet ?

How is your beard? It’s possible to use this if you want to truly maximise your graft potential. 

I actually have a decent beard! Have transplanted hairs from the beard been successful? Does Dr. Konior do this as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, transplantedphil said:

 

Ideally you should send these pics to H&W and Konior and let them assess you. To my untrained eye it looks like you have retrograde alopecia, and given your inability to take finasteride combined with your aggressive hairloss at such a young age means you might end up a NW7 ... which doesnt really make you the best candidate for surgery. 

The reason the crown is done last (some clinics wont touch it at until a patient hits 35 years once the MPB has been established) is that your sides can drop and leave you with an island of hair in the middle. Its called "halo of baldness" in the literature. Should you decide to pursue a HT you need to approach things VERY conservatively with a long term plan in place, preferable a high hairline to frame your face and the consideration of body hair to supplement your loss. 

 

 

I looked up retrograde alopecia. I don't think I have this. The sides and back of my head are thick. The only thinning I see is from the bottom of my neck going upwards a little bit (Also that picture is only 6 days after I razor shaved my head entirely, so hairs are still growing). But the safe donor zone appears to be thick. I have sent pictures to Dr. Konior, but don't think they'll respond until after labor day weekend. I'll update you guys on what he says!

Edited by baldiee
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • baldiee changed the title to Best FUT Surgeon in USA + My Hair Loss Journey [Norwood 6]

Yes beard hair has been added in many successful cases. As a long term game plan you firstly would need to concentrate on the FUT.

And only when you have exhausted your donor area would you consider using beard grafts. They are good for adding density to the mid scalp and crown areas.

So for now definitely consult with a few chosen Drs and get their expertise on how to move forward.

Its all about having realistic goals based in your aggressive hair loss. And what can be achieved. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baldiee said:

First of all, I want to thank you guys so much for being so welcoming and supportive. I am new to this community. But you guys make me feel less alone. It has been a very depressing last 10 years of losing hair.

Of course! We’re all in the same boat, man. These guys on here will give you priceless advice and help you get through it. I owe this forum big time. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the coming years.

  • Like 1

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baldiee said:

Because of the progression of my hair loss. I'm scared to do the front, and then have a patchy midscalp/crown area.

Totally understand, so as others have said, def talk to a good surgeon about the long-term strategy, where to begin, how to maintain a natural look between the first and second round etc.

About starting in the front with near-complete loss in the back, I’ve seen many posters in a similar situation, really high NWs. I’m less informed than these other guys on the particular techniques, but I’ve often noticed surgeons addressing this with so-called “density gradients“ that are meant to deliver the appearance of thick hair in some areas while blending with thinner areas to look as natural as possible. In your case, the surgeon wouldn’t just plant a thick crop with sharp boundaries and make you look stupid. You would bite the bullet on the crown (for now) and maybe do a mega-session with strip harvesting to deliver 4K+ units to the front and mid-scalp, where the density gradient thins toward the back in a way that looks like natural MPB. 
 

To reiterate, I’m speaking from ignorance here, so get better info from a doc or some of these other guys, but this is what I’m picturing:

 

11CB0030-F4B9-488C-A30D-85751641630B.jpeg

  • Like 1

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

the bottom of your neck (nape area) and the region above the ears are what are partial to retrograde alopecia. I highlighted your nape region which IMO appears to be thinning. 

984681220_ScreenShot2020-09-07at3_49_40am.png.8aa7353b7cd54f2cf5271636e95026e7.png

 

I am getting worried now! I don't have any thinning whatsoever on the sides or around my ears. Just that nape area. Does this mean I can't get a hair transplant?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taken4Granted said:

Totally understand, so as others have said, def talk to a good surgeon about the long-term strategy, where to begin, how to maintain a natural look between the first and second round etc.

About starting in the front with near-complete loss in the back, I’ve seen many posters in a similar situation, really high NWs. I’m less informed than these other guys on the particular techniques, but I’ve often noticed surgeons addressing this with so-called “density gradients“ that are meant to deliver the appearance of thick hair in some areas while blending with thinner areas to look as natural as possible. In your case, the surgeon wouldn’t just plant a thick crop with sharp boundaries and make you look stupid. You would bite the bullet on the crown (for now) and maybe do a mega-session with strip harvesting to deliver 4K+ units to the front and mid-scalp, where the density gradient thins toward the back in a way that looks like natural MPB. 
 

To reiterate, I’m speaking from ignorance here, so get better info from a doc or some of these other guys, but this is what I’m picturing:

 

11CB0030-F4B9-488C-A30D-85751641630B.jpeg

Wow, thank you for taking the time to draw that out! And yeah I like that idea! I would rather have a MPB type of hair in the crown rather than complete baldness! I'll have to see what my hair transplant surgeon recommends. 

Edited by baldiee
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the amazing input/advice everyone! Keep sending them in for those who come across this thread! I read them all.

 

I will update you guys along my hair transplant journey for those who'd like to follow this thread :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...