What protein powder do you use?

Nounours

Hey everyone!

I’m curious to hear what type/brand of protein powder that some of you gym-going forum members use, and what ingredients are you avoiding?
I suspect that my hair loss started a few years ago, partly due to some of gym workout shakes I was using. I don’t want to make the same mistake!

Thank you!

A lot of protein isn’t great for your health. Unless you’re legit bodybuilding with an abnormal BMI and low body fat (which is increasingly the norm in our cartoon world), you get what you need from a reasonable diet. I know ppl say that all the time, and it sounds like ignorant hippie BS, but I’ve come to believe that more and more over the years as I’ve gotten less interested in “gainzzz!” and more concerned about aging and dysfunction in multiple organ systems, esp. the liver and brain. 

• Like 1

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

• Administrators

I use organic plant protein, I stopped using whey protein years ago.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Plant-based protein user here too - although I don't know if there's any correlation between protein powders and hair loss. 

I personally use Vivo Life and it's the best protein powder I've ever used, particularly in regards to digestion. One of the main things I look for with protein powders is making sure they're not full of heavy metals, I avoid whey like the plague, and also want them to be as natural and vitamin-rich as possible. Vivo Life hits all these marks for me - and the company is extremely ethical as well which is a huge added bonus. (Compostable packaging, carbon-neutral delivery, they plant a tree for every sale, etc.)

The flavor can sometimes take a bit to get used to as they don't use any artificial flavoring, so it's quite mild compared with other protein powders. Once your pallet adjusts though, you're good to go.

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 4 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor

The best (and only non drug) way to increase your free testosterone levels is by heavy resistance weight training. The down side is that those who are genetically predisposed to MPB increase their risk of hair loss. Plant based protein is better also. But remember if you do suffer from genetic MPB, not working out/staying healthy isn't going to stop losing your hair anyway. I did serious body building all through my 30's and even though I wore a wear a hair piece (not while training obviously) my hair loss really ramped up during this period I noticed. On the other hand my hair would still have gone South anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I drink a protein shake to help boost protein intake 30 minutes after my workout. Sometimes I also drink it before training for about 30 minutes, but I prefer a larger snack. I also have a sensitive stomach, so I don't really like taking protein supplements, only quotes are suitable for me. For digestion, I take special vitamins, if it's interesting, I can advise the Goli Gummies review. I try to adhere to a special diet, I eat well enough, a lot of chicken, eggs, pasta and rice instead of carbohydrates, as well as a little vegetable, baked potatoes, salad, etc. But nevertheless I try to create a deficiency in calories, for this I use a special app. This helps me to make my workouts the most effective.

Edited by SamToSam

• 3 months later...

I think it’s important to state the creatine study so people can make the decision on their own - it’s been only one study with a small group of rugby players. I won’t go into the details here, as it’s easy to find with a simple Google search.  

But the net net is that there isn’t enough conclusive evidence/other studies with a big enough sample size to positively conclude that creatine causes/furthers hair loss. 

I’m not saying that it does or it doesn’t - just that the data has not yet been able to scientifically prove it. 

• 3 months later...

First and foremost, find a product you like the taste of. Even one you like at the start will get a bit repetitive. Just like training, consistency is key.

Consider an unflavoured powder (a lot cheaper) and make lush smoothies with frozen fruit. Sugar-free syrups can be added to give the shake added sweetness/switch up the taste.
Sugar-free syrup example https://www.monin.com/uk/sugar-free-syrups.html

• 1 year later...

TL;DR  I like this complete meal shake. Whey protein concentrate (versus isolate) is the best option for muscle building and general health while also yielding a lower anabolic protein than whey protein isolate. Getting all your protein from lean meat would be better but that can be impractical when targeting high amounts of protein. 

A couple of points to consider:

• You want to take enough protein to stimulate muscle protein synthesis. (MPS)
  • Not all protein has the same amino acid profile and, importantly, you need to have sufficient leucine content for this to be triggered.
  • "Dr. Phillips reported that 0.045 grams of leucine per kilogram of body weight (0.0205g/ lb) per meal is the amount needed to optimize muscle protein synthesis. For example, if you weigh 170 pounds (~77kg), you would need about 3.5 grams of leucine per meal to maximize the protein synthetic response. If you weigh 125 pounds (~55kg), you would need about 2.5 grams of leucine per meal to maximize the MPS response." Here are some examples of food sources and their leucine content:

image.thumb.png.63402f57e93cb3ade1db35c76f321e03.png

Not all protein is equal! So if you are using soy protein, for example, or other plant based proteins you would need to eat a lot more protein to hit the right limit. In general animal based protein >> plant based for muscle building and general health. Read more here: https://gethlth.com/the-best-and-worst-protein-sources/  There seems to be a trend to use plant based protein but it is not based in science if your goal is health (unless you have cancer but that is a whole other topic). The only reason not to use animal protein is if you do not want to for animal rights reasons or if you are trying to avoid certain amino acids.

So, assuming you are okay with animal based protein what whey protein should you do use, concentrate or isolate? People often prefer isolate since it is more tolerable to the stomach and doesn't cause gas like concentrate does in some people. It digests quicker and hence has a higher anabolic profile:

image.thumb.png.792634537c8ace1d8f6de76b953576b4.png

The higher anabolic profile of isolate is why Dr. Shapiro's shakes use whey protein concentrate. There isn't anything magical about his shake though, so any whey protein concentrate will work just as well. (I used to use his shakes but switched over to a shake that had healthier carbs and fat. I also didn't like the fact that his blend was proprietary... I want to know what I am using!) 

These figures were taken from this excellent book on body recomp where you can learn more.

image.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. ON owns most of the factories that produce the whey so many “competitor” products are the same but repackaged. The ON price point is highly competitive and quality is the most proven. No need to try anything else unless you’re looking for flavors they don’t offer IMHO. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Plant based ensure drinks (180 cals and 20 G protein) and plant based builders bars (290 cals and 20 g of protein).  Not because I think whey has any detrimental effect on hair, but because I'm lactose intolerant and this allows me to get protein in easily without worrying about dairy.