Should I switch from Diep to Hasson?

My date with Diep is scheduled for a couple months from now, but I’m beginning to become worried by the amount of negative recent reviews.

It seems like Diep was fantastic 2-4 years ago, but recently his staff has been rude, his grafts placed in a “grid” pattern, and results not great.

This is just what I gather from recent reviews.

What would YOU do? Stick with Diep? Or switch to Hasson and lose that $1k deposit?

One note: I can verify that Diep’s secretarial staff is either overworked or undertrained. I had to call 3 times to get them to take my deposit. One person told me the first available surgery date is March 2021. The next person told me November 2020. Big difference. They couldn’t find my file. They thought I never had my consult with Dr Diep when in fact I had 2 consults. They send me emails multiple times that say the same thing. It was rough. This obviously has nothing to do with Diep himself but the front end office staff is having a tough time right now.

Edited by Buffaloboy
  • Like 1

Honestly, chalk up the $1000 deposit to research purposes and switch to Hasson. Remember, you only get one donor so if Diep implants in the cornrow grid-like pattern and you are unhappy with the result, then you have to have a repair. Thus, spending way more than the initial deposit but more importantly using more grafts unnecessarily that could have been used if you need more work in the future to due MPB progression. Read through the recent comments on Diep threads and that should highlight why many are unhappy with his work and some even with his ethics. 

• Like 7

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

9 minutes ago, ruca2 said:

Honestly, chalk up the $1000 deposit to research purposes and switch to Hasson. Remember, you only get one donor so if Diep implants in the cornrow grid-like pattern and you are unhappy with the result, then you have to have a repair. Thus, spending way more than the initial deposit but more importantly using more grafts unnecessarily that could have been used if you need more work in the future to due MPB progression. Read through the recent comments on Diep threads and that should highlight why many are unhappy with his work and some even with his ethics. 

I wonder why he suddenly changed to doing grid like? I find it so odd. Threads from 2015, 2016, etc don’t showcase that.

Dr. Diep has achieved great results for patients in the past... That being said, everything I've seen recently doesn't inspire confidence at all (to put it very lightly). If an omnipotent being could view all your branching timelines in the future, I think 95% of the time you will have better hair in the ones where you choose Dr. Hasson.

• Like 2

• Administrators

This Diep head hunting is getting out of hand, the majority of the complaints are from people who’ve never been to Diep. If you don’t feel comfortable, cancel it asap.

I presented at least a dozen results spanning from 2015-2019 and they’re all good. I don’t see any changes, here’s a result from 2019 from @shookwon33 and @Dadda recent results look good in my opinion. That said, one case looks questionable on one side, but there’s still time.

Look at facts, are these cases that people are pointing too even past 6 months? Not gonna convince you otherwise. If you feel like Hasson has better work, by all means choose Hasson, he’s an excellent choice.

Here’s my advice, talk to real patients, below is a list 

. @E39 @JBlonde @hairvanity @m0dthispny @Kpat131 @FUEblonde1985 @bondi @baldlivesmatter @Skyb 

AC09BD86-D18B-4FC0-904D-4DD8474BDAFB.jpeg

B7542BC3-F8EE-457A-90A1-3829AB72B52D.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If it were me, based on the recent case of 1500 holes getting put in someone's head for an 800 graft procedure with no word from the clinic, I would go somewhere else. It's not all about 1-5 year results. You need to plan for 20-30 years into the future with hair transplantation. Donor management is more than half of the equation when considering surgeons.

• Like 6

I agree with Melvin. Just look at Dr Dieps track record from actual patients. He post at least 3 new videos a week on Friday showing results from current cases he has performed surgery on. Usually it’s a video of patient telling how great their experience was. I don’t see any other HT surgeons providing as mush evidence as Mr Diep. I have a second surgery booked for Jan 19 2021 and I can’t wait!  

Doctors change over time and the results I am currently achieving with Dr. Diep have been described by a HW associate as “pre-2000s” in terms of appearance. Another surgeon said that I needed 1000 grafts to address the bad angles and grid like appearance. I can’t in good conscience recommend him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ADuckwithNoHair said:

Dr. Diep has achieved great results for patients in the past... That being said, everything I've seen recently doesn't inspire confidence at all (to put it very lightly). If an omnipotent being could view all your branching timelines in the future, I think 95% of the time you will have better hair in the ones where you choose Dr. Hasson.

Basically agree with this. Diep has some awesome results on YT, but he is riskier and you don’t get any do-overs in this industry. 

To be clear, I am someone who GOT surgery with him. I’m not just some random shill one the internet. I am actively seeking repair work right now for my February surgery. 

Edited by Tentpole91
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This Diep head hunting is getting out of hand, the majority of the complaints are from people who’ve never been to Diep. If you don’t feel comfortable, cancel it asap.

I presented at least a dozen results spanning from 2015-2019 and they’re all good. I don’t see any changes, here’s a result from 2019 from @shookwon33 and @Dadda recent results look good in my opinion. That said, one case looks questionable on one side, but there’s still time.

Look at facts, are these cases that people are pointing too even past 6 months? Not gonna convince you otherwise. If you feel like Hasson has better work, by all means choose Hasson, he’s an excellent choice.

Here’s my advice, talk to real patients, below is a list 

. @E39 @JBlonde @hairvanity @m0dthispny @Kpat131 @FUEblonde1985 @bondi @baldlivesmatter @Skyb 

AC09BD86-D18B-4FC0-904D-4DD8474BDAFB.jpeg

B7542BC3-F8EE-457A-90A1-3829AB72B52D.jpeg

Can you tell me among those you tagged, who received surgery after 2019? I’d love to hear from patients within the last 12 months.

The ones from 2015 to 2018 should be good. From everything I’ve read, he’s went downhill after 2018.

Someone in another thread posted this pic and it scared me bad. That’s awful.

Can anyone actually defend this??

7BD73CD7-1118-442D-9DC4-C4CBBCD1FE5B.png

Edited by Buffaloboy

10 minutes ago, Tentpole91 said:

Basically agree with this. Diep has some awesome results on YT, but he is riskier and you don’t get any do-overs in this industry. 

To be clear, I am someone who GOT surgery with him. I’m not just some random shill one the internet. I am actively seeking repair work right now for my February surgery. 

Oh no.

What happened with yours? What did Diep do wrong?

2 hours ago, ShadowMoon said:

If it were me, based on the recent case of 1500 holes getting put in someone's head for an 800 graft procedure with no word from the clinic, I would go somewhere else. It's not all about 1-5 year results. You need to plan for 20-30 years into the future with hair transplantation. Donor management is more than half of the equation when considering surgeons.

@Melvin-moderator what is the story on this??? 1500 holes for an 800 graft procedure?

3 hours ago, Buffaloboy said:

What would YOU do? Stick with Diep? Or switch to Hasson and lose that $1k deposit?

I am totally envious of you. Though you have not yet had any kind of results from your transplant journey at all.

At least in your current journey, you have the ability to weigh the cost spent and maybe already lost against having grafts placed as rows on your head. You don't have to contemplate what it is like to go from combing your hair in such ways as to disguise your hair loss, to combing your hair in the near future in such ways as to disguise that you've had a hair transplant. You don't have to worry yet about whether or not your donor supply was salted away possibly preventing you from future procedures. What a golden opportunity there is that still exists for you.

Hope you make the right decisions and good luck.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Buffaloboy said:

@Melvin-moderator what is the story on this??? 1500 holes for an 800 graft procedure?

Your guess is as good as ours, the post was removed at the OP's request a week or two ago. Guy had a recent case and well over half of the back of his head was used to get 836 grafts. A couple people did a manual count based on post op pictures and it was between 1400-1600 holes. If you look at post op donors of Dr. Diep's patients you'll see that they are particularly... tenderized. So you can understand the patients concern for what should have been a tiny case. No answers were given to the patient despite reaching out to the clinic, and Dr. Diep didn't show up to give any sort of explanation. So here we are.

7 minutes ago, Buffaloboy said:

The thread was from Specific-violinist60 (27 years of age, mind you) from about three weeks back. He posted it under the heading "Someone Please Help Me Gain Peace of Mind" or something to that extent.

He showed his 800 graft transplant procedure with photos of is FUE extraction site. He said he counted conservatively 1200-1400 exactions. Others came in and showed him what and 800 graft procedure looked like. More commented that his donor site did not look anywhere close to the proper amount of extractions for an 800 graft procedure. Someone came in and used a photo editor and counted all the extractions and came up with 1500. After that, the OP deleted his photos as he was stressed out and asked Melvin to delete his post.

Anyone who saw that thread regardless of the surgeon that performed it knew it for what it was: a botch job.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
Just now, jimcraig152 said:

The thread was from Specific-violinist60 (27 years of age, mind you) from about three weeks back. He posted it under the heading "Someone Please Help Me Gain Peace of Mind" or something to that extent.

He showed his 800 graft transplant procedure with photos of is FUE extraction site. He said he counted conservatively 1200-1400 exactions. Others came in and showed him what and 800 graft procedure looked like. More commented that his donor site did not look anywhere close to the proper amount of extractions for an 800 graft procedure. Someone came in and used a photo editor and counted all the extractions and came up with 1500. After that, the OP deleted his photos as he was stressed out and asked Melvin to delete his post.

Anyone who saw that thread regardless of the surgeon that performed it knew it for what it was: a botch job.

C’mon it’s post like these that are down right wrong. How can you say botch job when you haven’t even seen the results. My donor area looked 10x worse, and I’m not a botch job. How can you objectively call a hair transplant a “botch” job immediately after surgery? I mean this is getting ludicrous. Not even allowing any time for the donor to heal, or the results to grow before calling it a failure. I can’t wrap my head around this thinking 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

C’mon it’s post like these that are down right wrong. How can you say botch job when you haven’t even seen the results. My donor area looked 10x worse, and I’m not a botch job. How can you objectively call a hair transplant a “botch” job immediately after surgery? I mean this is getting ludicrous. Not even allowing any time for the donor to heal, or the results to grow before calling it a failure. I can’t wrap my head around this thinking 

I would argue the literal definition of a botch job is to bungle or do a shoddy job of fixing or patching something up. So in the case of requiring to poke* 1400 holes (conservative number) for 800 grafts, yes that qualifies as a botch job. Especially considering it still hasn't been answered or addressed as to why that happened in the first place. Even by you, @Melvin-Moderator.

Edited by ShadowMoon
  • Like 2

• Administrators

@Buffaloboy cancel the surgery. I’m not telling you otherwise, go with your gut, but know that there is absolutely NO way to call a surgery a failure until the results have manifested by 12 months. There have been COUNTLESS members who’ve posted on here and have talked about their surgeons non-stop, and by 12 months, they apologize.

I’m not saying that will be the case with jim or tent, but I’m saying it happens, so it’s best to look at matured results. Even @FUEblonde1985 mentioned unhappiness with his results at 12 months, in his most recent post, he said his hair has improved and it looks more natural, see how things change over time? At the end of the day, do what you feel is right.

View my thread

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, ShadowMoon said:

I would argue the literal definition of a botch job is to bungle or do a shoddy job of fixing or patching something up. So in the case of requiring to poke* 1400 holes (conservative number) for 800 grafts, yes that qualifies as a botch job. Especially considering it still hasn't been answered or addressed as to why that happened in the first place. Even by you, @Melvin-Moderator.

This number came out of thin air, someone said “looks like 1500 holes” there’s no proof, 1mm holes will look larger, and can look like more holes than reality. I got off the phone with Diep today about this case, he told me he would never  throw away grafts, and that he did 800 grafts more or less. There’s always some level of transection with FUE from 5-15% which he puts in his YouTube videos. He’s not lying or being deceitful it’s there in plain English.

We cannot have the forum spread hearsay without any real evidence, and start passing it off as facts. That is the problem with today’s society, one person says one thing, and other will agree, and all of the sudden it’s “guilty” the mob becomes the judge, jury, and executioner. No need to hear the surgeon, he’s done. I can’t operate this forum in this way. How or why would any surgeon want to be affiliated with such a place. It really doesn’t make any sense, it’s not being level headed or objective.

CF0660C3-C00A-417B-9664-F60E7424D86C.png

View my thread

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This number came out of thin air, someone said “looks like 1500 holes” there’s no proof, 1mm holes will look larger, and can look like more holes than reality. I got off the phone with Diep today about this case, he told me he would never  throw away grafts, and that he did 800 grafts more or less. There’s always some level of transection with FUE from 5-15% which he puts in his YouTube videos. He’s not lying or being deceitful it’s there in plain English.

This is blatant gas lighting and frankly I'm extremely disappointed. There was proof, but it got deleted and archived*. You know that. Dr. Diep's punches are extremely easy to count, and      @Rolandas manually put in a colored dot for each hole with the high definition pic OP posted. Each color was 100 holes. I counted that picture myself. It was 1500 holes. Go look at the archive yourself if you don't believe me. He did the same thing for his procedure of 3000+ grafts and made a video about it. 

Edited by ShadowMoon
  • Like 6

• Administrators

I’m not gaslighting anyone, I’m repeating what Dr. Diep has said to me, and I believe him, you don’t have too, you can believe what you want, but to speak in facts, is wrong. It’s clear Diep doesn’t have a lot of fans here. That’s okay, we can agree to disagree.

View my thread

20 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

We cannot have the forum spread hearsay without any real evidence, and start passing it off as facts. That is the problem with today’s society, one person says one thing, and other will agree, and all of the sudden it’s “guilty” the mob becomes the judge, jury, and executioner. No need to hear the surgeon, he’s done. I can’t operate this forum in this way. How or why would any surgeon want to be affiliated with such a place. It really doesn’t make any sense, it’s not being level headed or objective.

CF0660C3-C00A-417B-9664-F60E7424D86C.png

He literally counted each hole extracted from his donor area and counted 1400 conservatively but probably more like 1600.

He was told he had 800 extractions. That is the definition of lying 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’m not gaslighting anyone, I’m repeating what Dr. Diep has said to me, and I believe him, you don’t have too, you can believe what you want, but to speak in facts, is wrong. It’s clear Diep doesn’t have a lot of fans here. That’s okay, we can agree to disagree.

The fact is you have access to a picture that is irrefutable proof that there are 1400 holes on the back of his head and only 800 grafts were extracted. You're taking the word of the surgeon over the word of the patient and physical photographic evidence. 

• Like 5