@Melvin-Moderator This was his work in 2016, earlier in the thread people are actually complaining that he puts too much zig zag in his hairline.

hair2.png

This is his work in 2019

IMG-1272.thumb.JPG.834ba108b5aa9c1ee95f86b4daf3f7e7.JPG

Here's another from 2016:

c3SxqAn.jpg

Here's another from 2019:

image.png.020bf0d732bb46df4dbeba25f108b7d8.png

This one's from 2015:

IMG_1525.jpg.13e1b071a339ebfec455cca7645859ee.jpg

2015:

FullSizeRender.jpg.77964498a26d92bf97dc00f01d9bf86b.jpg

2020:

IMG_1585.JPG

2019:

IMG_20190629_152519.jpg

I can tell that arguing with you is not going to change your mind on this point, but I appreciate that you at least engaged with me. It could be that I'm way off base here. 

Edited by ShadowMoon
  • Like 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Admittedly if Dr. Diep were applying to membership here based merely on the examples highlighted by @ShadowMoon, then I dont see how anyone would advocate for his inclusion. A clear number of his

You're very good at letting everyone voice their opinion. I just wish something would actually come of people referencing and discussing a surgeon repeatedly putting out work that is questionable at b

But guys, if you are reading this, please be careful when considering Diep. In the thread that got removed, there was a very good case to be made that Dr. Diep lied to his patient about the number of

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s BS. I allow everyone to voice their opinion good or bad. Don’t try and act like I’m censoring patients, because that’s not true.

I don't believe I mentioned you and certainly didn't allude to you censoring patients. 

2 hours ago, ShadowMoon said:

@Melvin-Moderator This was his work in 2016, earlier in the thread people are actually complaining that he puts too much zig zag in his hairline.

hair2.png

This is his work in 2019

c3SxqAn.jpg

This one's from 2015:

2015:

2020:

IMG_1585.JPG

2019:

IMG_20190629_152519.jpg

I can tell that arguing with you is not going to change your mind on this point, but I appreciate that you at least engaged with me. It could be that I'm way off base here. 

It does seem like very recently he's basically given up on proper technique and he's just doing whatever is fastest for him. 

2 hours ago, ShadowMoon said:

hair2.png

This is his work in 2019

c3SxqAn.jpg

This one's from 2015:

2015:

2020:

IMG_1585.JPG

2019:

IMG_20190629_152519.jpg

I think you make a great point in that maybe the last few years his techniques have changed. Why this is being overlooked, I have no idea 

That this forum delete on its own initiative, threads o censoring patients  as do most forums, for sure it is not so, that @Melvin-Moderator wants to convince you that a thing is white when it is actually black, that can be😂😂😂

9 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

C’mon man, everyone is entitled to change their mind, especially if the thread is less than a week old. It’s important we protect those who have the courage to share, especially since we- the community benefit from it. We would not exist, if it weren’t for the guys who have the courage to share.

I don’t want to run this forum like a fascist, there have been members like @transplantedphil who had a popular thread discussing his dissatisfaction with a surgeon, when he asked me to remove his pictures I complied. I want there to be a level of safety with patients, otherwise no one would feel safe to post, and we’d ultimately die out.

I don't think you'd die out, but I understand your reasoning. 

There are pros and cons to each side. 

Hopefully he'll heal well and be able to post some excellent results in 6-12 months' time. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Egy said:

That this forum delete on its own initiative, threads o censoring patients  as do most forums, for sure it is not so, that @Melvin-Moderator wants to convince you that a thing is white when it is actually black, that can be😂😂😂

I definitely did not remove any posts because I wanted to censor anyone, on the contrary. I was asked by the patient himself, to remove the thread, because he no longer wanted the thread up. You will see he came here to respond, and he said he does not want it back up. 

• Like 1

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

29 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I definitely did not remove any posts because I wanted to censor anyone, on the contrary. I was asked by the patient himself, to remove the thread, because he no longer wanted the thread up. You will see he came here to respond, and he said he does not want it back up. 

In fact, that's what I think.

• Like 1
  • Administrators
8 hours ago, ShadowMoon said:

hair2.png

I’m definitely not arguing, just presenting two sides, you bring up a valid point. Dr. Diep has always garnered push back from people, in 2015 it was: “his hairlines are terrible look at the obvious zig zags” and now it’s too “uniform.” There are very few doctors on this forum that have over a dozen solid patient reviews, and Diep happens to be one of them. As I said earlier, not everyone is gonna be a fan of his work, and that’s okay.

My goal is not to change your mind, but rather present cases where end results are there, so readers could draw their own conclusions. The recent cases in 2019 for example @FUEblonde1985 @baldlivesmatter both look good in my opinion. FUEBlonde presented a picture with wet hair, and I was impressed with how natural it looked. Baldlivesmatter hair looks night and day difference from the previous work, believe it or not the top picture was after a hair transplant. Now, these are just my opinions, hairline design aesthetically is subjective. I’ve gotten messages before of guys telling me my hairline sucks lol, it’s definitely not gonna be everyone’s taste. The dialogue has been good thank you 🙏🏼

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

11 hours ago, ShadowMoon said:

Just did a search with Diep in the title and these are the ones on the first page that have pictures of grafts immediately after post op. They're not done in the last month, so I was wrong there. Some of them are quite recent, however. All of them showcase the corn row pattern that is supposed to be actively avoided as it is both incredibly inefficient and unnatural. I haven't seen any other surgeon sponsored by this site so consistently do it.

I'm know this isn't very scientific, but his work strikes me as 'violent' / forceful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have heard that threads sometimes get pulled as part of an agreement with the doctor in order to get a refund. 

I don’t think people here fully appreciate how “wild west” this industry is sometimes...

NOT saying that is what happened here. But when you have $15k on the line, the right answer isn’t always obvious. 

Edited by Tentpole91

But guys, if you are reading this, please be careful when considering Diep. In the thread that got removed, there was a very good case to be made that Dr. Diep lied to his patient about the number of grafts he tried to extract. Claiming 802 grafts when someone manually counted at least 1400 incisions. 

I truly wish there was a way to get to the bottom of that incident. Because it’s pretty obvious that Dr. Diep either lied or was intentionally vague. A good doctor would have seen a 40% transaction rate and stopped the surgery. Dr. Diep not only continued the surgery, he also wasn’t honest with the patient about why there were hundreds more incisions than were agreed upon. 

• Like 5

Admittedly if Dr. Diep were applying to membership here based merely on the examples highlighted by @ShadowMoon, then I dont see how anyone would advocate for his inclusion.

A clear number of his results simply arent natural, and are in no way up to the standards met by other clinics on this forum; not in terms of placement, angulation or design. They even hypocritically go against Dr Diep's rules listed on his own website. There are numerous examples of his poor donor management that desperately needed to be addressed as well, from the strange extraction patterns, his use of a 1mm punch which unnecessarily leaves the donor looking raw for weeks, not to mention the possibility the extractions are taken outside the safe zones, to the bad FUT closures.

Patients like @jimcraig152 and @Dadda have also confirmed that an arbitration form is now being given after final payment is made (i.e. patients can't sue) which in effect limits a patient's rights after they have already consented to and paid for surgery. Why is this not made clear from the outset? Given most patients are already feeling vulnerable and anxious at the time of surgery with many forms to fill out, IMO this is borderline coercive.

The incident involving @Specific-violinist60 is clearly one of the more troubling encounters. Either the patient had a 40% transection rate (industry standards are around 5%-8%) suggesting Dr Diep is grossly incompetent OR Dr Diep made an unfortunate mistake and continued the extraction process but failed to inform the patient of his error. If its the former, one also needs to take into account that Dr Diep uses a larger than average punch size for the express reason to preserve the integrity of the grafts, making this scenario an outright absurdity. If it's the later - and more likely possibility - it means Dr Diep simply threw away the excess grafts. Either way the patient's informed consent has been violated, and as he was awake at the time of surgery means there was every opportunity to communicate this to him at the time. The fact that Dr Diep did not do so, and was intentionally vague on the matter afterwards, (as @Tentpole91 has suggested) should be enough for Dr Diep's removal on this forum.

I say all this not to challenge how HRN is run or in some way cast aspersions on it - as @Egy has constantly argued this is the best HT forum out there. It;s a rare diamond in an industry known for its censorship, and I believe this all comes down to the positive moderating achieved by @Melvin-Moderator. Nobody too can argue against Melvin's results from Dr Diep and the positive impact it has had on his life - which is clearly evident in his passion and dedication to this forum. But when a doctors standards and ethics slip so low I can only urge the network to seriously reconsider Dr Diep's membership here. As a mere onlooker I get quite depressed, and can only somewhat imagine what his unhappy patients are experiencing. 

• Like 9

I am now in my 6th week post procedure with Dr. Diep. I remember earlier on in the recovery process getting a subscriber notification on these forums. That person that subscribed to me didn't respond to the thread I started maybe because I am pretty thorough. But he responded to several Dr. Diep threads, some years old, and his own. Out of curiosity, I clicked on his thread and found utter despair. I wanted to post something on his thread. Words of encouragement. But did not. I didn't want to add to his inertia of pain. A few days later his thread was gone. In the time since, several people have reached out to me from this forum via PM and from Real Self expressing the same utter despair after their procedure at MHTA. I've encouraged some of those people to start their threads here to gain support. None have. They are in too much pain.

I realize I am too early in the process, but I already know the answer to the question everyone asks about Dr. Diep:  Why does he do what he does? I've put together the pieces myself and nothing in what I've come up with is profound.  If I say it now, I know I will quickly be shot down with, "that's his style." "my transplant looked exactly like that.", "you're too early", "others had the same reaction you did and ended up liking the results." So I am going to wait. You'll have my answer in about 10 months.

But what I will say now speaks towards consistency. In sports, the difference between a bench player and a starter is consistency. A bench player can apply exacting technique that he or she was coached to do some of the time. A starter will apply exacting technique all of the time. The difference between a Michelin rated restaurant is consistency. You'll get the same fine meal and experience from a Michelin rated restaurant all of the time. Corners aren't ever cut. But a non-Michelin rated restaurant's meal and experience will vary. A top-tier surgeon will produce the same excellent results all of the time. A FUT scar will be unnoticeable all of the time. The FUE scarring will be unnoticeable all of the time. The transplanted grafts will look natural and the patient will look as if he never had a procedure done all of the time. That is what it means to your professional pronoun to be prefixed with "top". You produce the same excellent results all of the time. To do this, you have to stay in the moment and focus on what is at hand; the patient in the procedure room. Not the new patient in the consultation room. It goes without saying, staying on top is a very hard thing to do. If an HT surgeon cannot consistently produce excellent results all of the time, then by definition, the HT surgeon does not qualify as being a top-tier surgeon.

Edited by jimcraig152
  • Like 3

Why can we not vote at this point in terms of keeping or removing diep as a recommended surgeon?

im afraid this situation will become like asmed. Patients were complaining over and over and the mods insisted things were fine at asmed and even verified with erdogan that “nothing had changed.” Then about a month back asmed was removed out of nowhere.

3 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Why can we not vote at this point in terms of keeping or removing diep as a recommended surgeon?

im afraid this situation will become like asmed. Patients were complaining over and over and the mods insisted things were fine at asmed and even verified with erdogan that “nothing had changed.” Then about a month back asmed was removed out of nowhere.

Too many things at play going on with the site owners/moderators for him to be removed or even questioned properly.

Guys you have no idea how ethical and crystalline this forum is, it does not compromise with any clinic or surgeon, the fact that you can speak so freely is a demonstration, a few days ago, on an Italian forum a user wrote "Asmed  it is not worth the price you pay, when I did my procedure there were four other patients ”, well, that comment disappeared after a few minutes.

• Like 1

This forum is not a democracy. Certain people put in a lot of work to make it run and be a valuable resource to consumers. Melvin does an outstanding job. The best we can do is say our peace about surgeons recommended by this forum and hope he keeps objectivity about the quality of work he has been putting out lately.

Always keep in mind, there's no ads on this site. There's only one source of revenue coming in. I love the idea that some surgeons are paying for this site to run and giving an open forum for patients to discuss their work. It's about as close to a win-win as you can get in the real world. 

I hope that @Specific-violinist60 gets his answers. At the end of the day, he came to this forum searching for a surgeon and had that happen to him. 

@Melvin-Moderator I think the people outraged by this situation are those who feel at least partially responsible for that incident. I know as a contributor here, I feel responsible. The incentive for surgeons to pay is due to the activity of the community, after all. 

Not only that, but there's been dead silence from Dr. Diep. Not even a word about not being able to talk due to HIPAA. There had better been a damn good reason to do that to a patient without their consent. 

Anyway, I think that's about everything I personally want to say on this issue. Thanks @Melvin-Moderator for being on the receiving end of a proverbial mob with pitchforks. 

• Administrators

Guys,

I’ve already said my peace, but what some of you are demanding is ridiculous. Jimcraig is barely at six weeks, how can we even bring him in the conversation? dadda’s results are objectively really good, and he’s not even close to a year! How about we let the results actually develop before passing judgment. 

image.jpeg

I have provided over a dozen solid patient reviews, and all of the members mentioned haven’t even been at a year yet. There is no surgeon that will get top-tier results 100% of the time, but I feel in the bottom of my heart that Diep gets amazing results consistently.

My job is to be objective and look at the facts, the facts are the overwhelming majority of patients who go to Diep get a great results. He’s changed many lives, including my own, and one of my best friends. I’m not blind to complaints, and rest assured I do everything possible to work with patients and surgeons.

At this point, ShadowMoon is right- this has become a mob with pitch forks, the worst things that have been said have been by non-patients, which speaks volumes. There’s a lot of this going on in society right now, but this forum is not gonna be one of them.

We cannot run this site like twitter, and “cancel” a surgeon based on the majority of comments coming from people with no firsthand experience, commenting from the sidelines. We have removed surgeons several times, so our integrity cannot be questioned. 

This will be my last reply on this subject, I have been in contact with tentpole and specific, offering assistance and support, and will continue to do so for every forum member. Before asking for heads to roll or surgeons to get canceled, have you spoken to the majority of his patients? Have you taken any time to really speak to patients with more than 10 months? Level heads must prevail.