There was a topic created about a Dr. John Diep restoration where the donor area was somewhat questionable. 

I was looking to send it to someone asking me about him. 

In the thread itself it said it wouldn't be removed. 

It seems it has been (looking at my posting history). 

Why is that? 

Edited by HTP1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Admittedly if Dr. Diep were applying to membership here based merely on the examples highlighted by @ShadowMoon, then I dont see how anyone would advocate for his inclusion. A clear number of his

You're very good at letting everyone voice their opinion. I just wish something would actually come of people referencing and discussing a surgeon repeatedly putting out work that is questionable at b

But guys, if you are reading this, please be careful when considering Diep. In the thread that got removed, there was a very good case to be made that Dr. Diep lied to his patient about the number of

Posted Images

• Administrators

@Specific-violinist60 if it was his thread, he asked me to remove it. I’ll be more than happy to bring it back from archive, if he’d like to share it again. 

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, NicoAustralia said:

You're not allowed to question John Diep's work in this forum haha

That’s BS. I allow everyone to voice their opinion good or bad. Don’t try and act like I’m censoring patients, because that’s not true.

• Like 1

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

• Administrators

Here’s the thread where he mentions why he wanted me to remove it. I really don’t appreciate anyone accusing me of censorship, I’m not some gun-for-hire rep.

• Like 2

Just want you all to know I asked Melvin to remove my thread mostly due to my own anxieties. You all have been awesome to talk to and have shared valuable information with me. It just made me too anxious every time i saw a new person comment on the state of my donor region. I will try to update you all in the future

Since it was closed there wouldn't be new people commenting on the state of his donor. So the cause of that effect was removed. 

I'd have thought the wider public interest would be worth keeping it closed, allowing it to fade back further into history, but remain searchable. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, HTP1 said:

Since it was closed there wouldn't be new people commenting on the state of his donor. So the cause of that effect was removed. 

I'd have thought the wider public interest would be worth keeping it closed, allowing it to fade back further into history, but remain searchable. 

If a patient does not want his thread to be public, that is his right. I’m not going to hold him hostage. Generally, yes we close the topic and keep it in public view. However, if the patient doesn’t want it public, then I’m not going to force the issue, and you should respect his wishes.

If you were in his shoes, and you had pictures on this site that you didn’t want public, would you be happy if I kept it public, regardless of your wishes? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@Specific-violinist60 if it was his thread, he asked me to remove it. I’ll be more than happy to bring it back from archive, if he’d like to share it again. 

Yeah i asked him to take it down, and i would prefer to keep it that way for now. Seeing the replies to my post was too difficult for me keeping a positive mindset during recovery

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

If a patient does not want his thread to be public, that is his right. I’m not going to hold him hostage. Generally, yes we close the topic and keep it in public view. However, if the patient doesn’t want it public, then I’m not going to force the issue, and you should respect his wishes.

If you were in his shoes, and you had pictures on this site that you didn’t want public, would you be happy if I kept it public, regardless of your wishes? 

Sorry guys, i had a change of heart and didnt want other threads refernecing my pictures either

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Specific-violinist60 said:

Yeah i asked him to take it down, and i would prefer to keep it that way for now. Seeing the replies to my post was too difficult for me keeping a positive mindset during recovery

Thanks for answering the posts. There your pictures, your story, you have the right to decide. 

Best wishes,

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Me? I'd think ahead before posting and recognise that posting on a public internet forum is like doing something in public in 'the real world'. 

But I recognise that's not a common quality, so if that's your decision it's fair enough. 

All the best for your recovery Specific-violinist60.

10 minutes ago, HTP1 said:

Me? I'd think ahead before posting and recognise that posting on a public internet forum is like doing something in public in 'the real world'. 

But I recognise that's not a common quality, so if that's your decision it's fair enough. 

Yeah i know it’s lame. Sorry man...

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s BS. I allow everyone to voice their opinion good or bad. Don’t try and act like I’m censoring patients, because that’s not true.

You're very good at letting everyone voice their opinion. I just wish something would actually come of people referencing and discussing a surgeon repeatedly putting out work that is questionable at best. Specifically the terrible graft placement that is done in rows on at least four patients on this forum in the last month. The donor area pattern is questionable but the corn row pattern is unacceptable in my opinion.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, ShadowMoon said:

You're very good at letting everyone voice their opinion. I just wish something would actually come of people referencing and discussing a surgeon repeatedly putting out work that is questionable at best. Specifically the terrible graft placement that is done in rows on at least four patients on this forum in the last month. The donor area pattern is questionable but the corn row pattern is unacceptable in my opinion.

I'm new to the HT game. Can you please demonstrate what you mean by the "terrible graft placement that's done in rows"? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HTP1 said:

C’mon man, everyone is entitled to change their mind, especially if the thread is less than a week old. It’s important we protect those who have the courage to share, especially since we- the community benefit from it. We would not exist, if it weren’t for the guys who have the courage to share.

I don’t want to run this forum like a fascist, there have been members like @transplantedphil who had a popular thread discussing his dissatisfaction with a surgeon, when he asked me to remove his pictures I complied. I want there to be a level of safety with patients, otherwise no one would feel safe to post, and we’d ultimately die out.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Drugs110 said:

Can you please link?

Use the advanced search page. You can search “Dr. Diep” and it will pull up all the recent threads. 

2 minutes ago, Drugs110 said:

Can you please link?

Just did a search with Diep in the title and these are the ones on the first page that have pictures of grafts immediately after post op. They're not done in the last month, so I was wrong there. Some of them are quite recent, however. All of them showcase the corn row pattern that is supposed to be actively avoided as it is both incredibly inefficient and unnatural. I haven't seen any other surgeon sponsored by this site so consistently do it.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, ShadowMoon said:

Just did a search with Diep in the title and these are the ones on the first page that have pictures of grafts immediately after post op. They're not done in the last month, so I was wrong there. Some of them are quite recent, however. All of them showcase the corn row pattern that is supposed to be actively avoided as it is both incredibly inefficient and unnatural. I haven't seen any other surgeon sponsored by this site so consistently do it.

I briefly looked at some of those hairline designs and I was like... How is the patient going to style his hair after a 1 year or 1.5 years? Those hairline designs are all kinds of messed up

Edited by Drugs110

This is a case by Dr. Konior, 3200 FUT. It is a masterclass in graft placement - there is no single area on the head that draws the eye. I'm not by any means saying Dr. Diep is a better or worse surgeon than Dr. Konior - this is just comparing graft placement.

13_08_18.jpg.56aedbc24184c915e68df2a0a87

This is a case by Dr. Diep, 3500-4000 FUT. It looks like a wave - all the way up to the hairline.

0F6C6DE4-8904-43FC-B91E-B1707DD700CC.jpe

That's what I'm referring to. 

Edited by ShadowMoon
9 minutes ago, Drugs110 said:

So he's basically just a really overpriced and over-advertized HT surgeon? I briefly looked at some of those hairline designs and I was like... How is the patient going to style his hair after a 1 year or 1.5 years? Those hairline designs are all kinds of messed up

I'm not saying anything about Dr. Diep's quality as a surgeon. I'm just wondering why this particular style of graft placement is considered to be natural.

• Administrators

I can only speak for myself, but Dr. Diep is the reason why my life has changed. I can understand the placement can look off in some post-op pictures, but the final result in my opinion has been spectacular. Granted, everyone is welcome to form their own opinions. 

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I can only speak for myself, but Dr. Diep is the reason why my life has changed. I can understand the placement can look off in some post-op pictures, but the final result in my opinion has been spectacular. Granted, everyone is welcome to form their own opinions. 

Melvin, you have a great result. The problem is that he is using methods known to create unnatural hairlines. The common theme I've found in page after page of Dr. Diep results is that if you have dark, thicker hair, it blends well. If you have thinner hair, it is noticeable.

hair5.jpg

Afro type hair he is absolutely outstanding.

F4FB2A5A-1AC3-4940-ADFF-472E186AFA26.jpeg

Skyb is thrilled with his results, and rightfully so - but his hair is just thin enough in caliber that you can see the row of hair in the front.

frontday4.jpg

Example of the regular line of hair directly on the beginning of the hairline.

293A3BBF-9222-4171-AA03-88D33E85DC13.png

Same hairline, different patient.

DB7F7B93-3C15-4E54-8CDB-EF3376BA98EC.jpeg

Again.

image.png.1db7aeaecf0b1dc37834c67405488353.png

Again.

The problem is he uses the same exact hairline approach for every single patient, regardless of hair type or caliber. Because of that, he has many unhappy patients that post on this forum. Regardless, he is still recommended because some people are getting good results with him. 

Should there be a disclaimer that some surgeons are better for certain hair types than others? I don't know. What I do know is there are several points Dr. Diep's website makes in his "seven rules to recreate a natural and dense hair line". Of note are three:

"Establish appropriate hairline for specific ethnic groups."

"Zigzag hairline: Zigzag hairline will look very natural. A straight hair line will look too artificial."

"Random hair placement: In nature, hair grows randomly, no specific rows or groups of hair. The more random the hair placement, the more natural it will appear."

Is there any difference in the approach to hairlines for differing ethnicities?

Is there random hair placement or use of a zigzag hairline? 

Why is it that when I go to this page, https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Hair-Loss-Treatments/hair-transplant.asp, it says, "When done right, the hair transplant result is so natural that even a stylist cannot detect it. The days of the unnatural looking "corn row" results are long gone."

image.png.aa92739aae97c0f2a76280b3b12ed61a.png

Is that the case with this caucasian male with smaller caliber hair? 

right-view-post.jpg

Is that natural?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Administrators

That is the one case that looks odd, but every other case looks stellar. One of my best friends went to him last year, and he's got blond-ish hair, he doesn't want his pictures public, but suffice to say his results were probably better than mine. There are countless of forum members who had amazing results. @E39 @JBlonde @hairvanity @m0dthispny @Kpat131 @FUEblonde1985 @bondi @baldlivesmatter @shookwon33 @SWdan @spyk777 @jkm3 a lot of these guys have blonde hair. End of the day, you can draw up your own conclusion, but Dr. Diep is definitely one of the few surgeons that I could pull up so many happy patients from this forum alone. The YouTube videos aren't a lie, he does really good work, now his hairlines, graft placement, even donor extraction isn't going to be to everyone's liking, but I always say look at the results, and then the nuances and see if he's the right surgeon for you. 

@E39 video right here, thats an amazingly natural hairline for a guy with fine blond hair. So again, I don't expect Dr. Diep to be everyones cup of tea, but I don't think it's true to say that he produces unnatural hairlines. That said, I respect everyone's opinion on the matter, and it's good to bring some of these points up. He is not perfect, but then again no surgeon is, i've received complaints from virtually every surgeon.