Dr. Lindsey discusses FUE and intraop on FUE repair of low yield fue case

Ok  this is a long video.  TOO long but I needed to discuss a bunch of fue issues on this repair fue and show intraop video.   Don't watch if you get squeemish.

Here's a guy that had a low yield fue and indeed...his donor hair was hard to find the angle initially...but once I found it, we got good beefy hair follicles that OUGHT to grow.   

This is probably a video for newbies...not old hats, so to speak, so that folks see some of the challenges with FUE.

3 more short FUE videos coming in the next couple of weeks.

The video is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crCcT2lah2w

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

On 8/26/2020 at 6:55 AM, Dr. William Lindsey said:

Ok  this is a long video.  TOO long but I needed to discuss a bunch of fue issues on this repair fue and show intraop video.   Don't watch if you get squeemish.

Here's a guy that had a low yield fue and indeed...his donor hair was hard to find the angle initially...but once I found it, we got good beefy hair follicles that OUGHT to grow.   

This is probably a video for newbies...not old hats, so to speak, so that folks see some of the challenges with FUE.

3 more short FUE videos coming in the next couple of weeks.

The video is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crCcT2lah2w

Dr. Lindsey

Those grafts look to be sticking out pretty high. What’s the reason for that? Larger punch size? Can that lead to cobblestoning?

Now that is a good question.   Cobble-stoning that we see in our repair cases are usually from pushing grafts too deep...skin doesn't fill in holes or divots....  Now old style plugs that were put in high...yes that can cause cobble-stoning.

But with follicular units, just like trees you'd plant in your yard...the instruction on the plant will say to dig a hole a little shallower than the root ball and a little wider.  Put the tree in the hole and leave it up an inch or 2....   That keeps rain from soaking and rotting the trunk.  And rains will wash off that higher dirt over a month or so.  (assuming you don't pile mulch up around it like people in our area seem to like)   Same with hair....we put the grafts in a slightly wider slit and leave them up just a bit.  They sink down as soon as the edema and numbing medicine leaves the surgical field.  And cleaning "washes" off that little bit of remaining dermis.  And in 2700 cases we have had ONE and only one skin cyst from likely trapped epithelium from pushing the hair too deep.   

Everything is a tradeoff...we choose to leave them just a little high and focus on postop cleaning and it seems to work well for us both in terms of growth, consistency and lack of problems.

I grew up farming...all hair restoration is is fancy farming.  And to that end, if you go back in my youtube video channel a few years, there is a 20 minute video of Wendy and me planting a bunch of real trees discussing this issue among other things like hair direction etc.

Good question.

Dr. L

• Like 1

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians