My Donor 6 Years Later

This looks amazing. The only way anyone would ever notice anything remotely "off" in regards to scarring/density is if they themselves are familiar with hair transplants and FUE. Otherwise, this looks completely natural. I'm able to cut my hair this short as well, and it took me a long time to accept that even though  could see the "lesser density" in the donor area, nobody else would ever notice it - even when I point it out to them. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, pkipling said:

This looks amazing. The only way anyone would ever notice anything remotely "off" in regards to scarring/density is if they themselves are familiar with hair transplants and FUE. Otherwise, this looks completely natural. I'm able to cut my hair this short as well, and it took me a long time to accept that even though  could see the "lesser density" in the donor area, nobody else would ever notice it - even when I point it out to them. 

That’s important to remember, I think a lot of guys in general have a perception that people examine their heads as closely as they do, but truth is- people rarely pay close attention, unless there is something obvious. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s important to remember, I think a lot of guys in general have a perception that people examine their heads as closely as they do, but truth is- people rarely pay close attention, unless there is something obvious. 

The general population rarely notice mild to moderate balding - let alone a partially depleted donor zone! 

It's just us hyper obsessed baldies who can identify these minor imperfections - if you can even call them that, and the whole purpose of this thread was to actually point towards the community to analyse it with close up pictures! Of course we'l find something. 

A colleague at my work has what looks like fue punch holes all around what would be classed as his donor region - and I knew full well he wouldn't have had/hadn't had a hair restoration procedure - yet it intrigued me day after day as to what they were, to the point at which I asked him in the politest way possible, what were they? 

His response - acne scarring from when he was a teenager! 

So if any of you really don't want to confide in people you have had a transplant . . . . there you go 😂 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t know, most likely someone who can do BHT. Bisanga, Sethi, Konior, they all seem like good candidates.

Melvin!! You looking amazing bro. That hairline of yours it TOP!!!

The donor also looking great, maybe just a little depleted on the left side from what I have watched at the video? But it´s amazing you sill have up to 1500. And if you go for BHT... you could have easily another 1500-2000 since your beard looks to have great density...

Havent you consider Dr Freitas or Dr Couto in Spain? Both have amazing results and they both do BHT... I´m sure they would easily close that crown of yours.

Thanks again for your great post and sharing your daily routines! : )

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, OliverAtom said:

Melvin!! You looking amazing bro. That hairline of yours it TOP!!!

The donor also looking great, maybe just a little depleted on the left side from what I have watched at the video? But it´s amazing you sill have up to 1500. And if you go for BHT... you could have easily another 1500-2000 since your beard looks to have great density...

Havent you consider Dr Freitas or Dr Couto in Spain? Both have amazing results and they both do BHT... I´m sure they would easily close that crown of yours.

Thanks again for your great post and sharing your daily routines! : )

I don't know much about these doctors to consider them, I agree Cuoto seems like a top doctor. But I haven't seen actual patient reviews yet. I'm much more inclined to go to one of our doctors here like Eugenix, Bisanga, and Konior, all of whom have great patient reviews, and clinic results.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don't know much about these doctors to consider them, I agree Cuoto seems like a top doctor. But I haven't seen actual patient reviews yet. I'm much more inclined to go to one of our doctors here like Eugenix, Bisanga, and Konior, all of whom have great patient reviews, and clinic results.

Yeah, I think the same, Couto is a Top doctor (I will finally have my consult with him in October if the Covid situation doesnt send us all back to confinement again). Also, Freitas has been showing quite amazing results for a long long time now. If I were you I would try, at least, to get an online consult with them to see what they have to say. You wouldnt lose anything and who knows... And you even have Lorenzo!!! All of them have many cases posted on (Foro Recuperar el Pelo)

On the other hand, I totally get that you prefer one of those other Doctors who have shown more actual patient reviews, it´s the way to play it safe even if you do not get such an amazing result at the end.

Have you had consults with any of those Doctors? Have they told you about the BHT option? How many beard grafts could they harvest? And if I had to choose one I would go with Eugenix clinic, in my opinion, is the best of those 3 you mentioned.

Thanks again for your reply and for sharing all that great content not just here but also through those nice videos! Wish more people would expose their results as you do it with yours.

Best ; )

Edited by OliverAtom

• Administrators
12 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Dr. Konior does excellent works on crowns from what I've seen, I think you can't go wrong if you choose him 🙂

Agreed, I’ve consulted with him 😬

View my thread

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Agreed, I’ve consulted with him 😬

do you think without finasteride ... you could sucessfully keep hair loss in check ? after all it is a progressive condition and even the donor gets miniaturized , so effectively the transplants will also get miniaturized as they are harvested from the same donor . as we age so will the donor also thin unless we have some strong dht blocker in my opinion , share your thoughts ?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, jolly said:

do you think without finasteride ... you could sucessfully keep hair loss in check ? after all it is a progressive condition and even the donor gets miniaturized , so effectively the transplants will also get miniaturized as they are harvested from the same donor . as we age so will the donor also thin unless we have some strong dht blocker in my opinion , share your thoughts ?

Personally, I don't subscribe to the idea that the donor thins. If that were true, hair transplants would be useless. I have noticed surgeons who say this usually perform FUE, and they usually do it on younger guys who still don't have a solid pattern. I have seen some of these doctors extract grafts high up near the crown, for some it may be okay, but for others those grafts could thin over time. There really isn't a one-size-fits-all with hair loss or hair transplantation. Now, i'm not saying theres something wrong with doing that, as long as the patient is aware those grafts may be vulnerable over time if they don't take fin. 

Personally, I have been to half a dozen surgeons, which have examined my donor with high-magnification. I do not have any miniaturization in my donor. My pattern hasn't changed at all in over 7 years. I am a Norwood 6 with a strong demarcation line of my pattern. 

View my thread

• Moderators
On 9/16/2020 at 7:55 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Personally, I don't subscribe to the idea that the donor thins. If that were true, hair transplants would be useless.

On some men donor absolutely thins everywhere and it can make the hair transplant useless over time, although it may be very beneficial for some years until then. My donor area is much thinner now than it was 10 years ago. When I started having hair transplants I had at least two older relatives who had almost no hair at all on the sides of their heads. I was told that once the hair is transplanted it will grow forever and never fall out, so I tried to move as much hair as possible from my donor to my bald area because I knew it would fall out if I didn't move it when I was young. There was no way my uncle who was older than I was could get a hair transplant since he had no hair to work with. I didn't want to wait to be like that and then not be able to do it. I didn't know I was being lied to about how the donor grows after transplanting it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 9/16/2020 at 6:55 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Personally, I don't subscribe to the idea that the donor thins. If that were true, hair transplants would be useless. I have noticed surgeons who say this usually perform FUE, and they usually do it on younger guys who still don't have a solid pattern. I have seen some of these doctors extract grafts high up near the crown, for some it may be okay, but for others those grafts could thin over time. There really isn't a one-size-fits-all with hair loss or hair transplantation. Now, i'm not saying theres something wrong with doing that, as long as the patient is aware those grafts may be vulnerable over time if they don't take fin. 

Personally, I have been to half a dozen surgeons, which have examined my donor with high-magnification. I do not have any miniaturization in my donor. My pattern hasn't changed at all in over 7 years. I am a Norwood 6 with a strong demarcation line of my pattern. 

I would say that I agree for the most part, but in a small group of patients I HAVE seen donor that is miniaturized and/or thinned out (DUPA folks are a good example of this). Anecdotally, the times I have seen this in DPA (not DUPA) patients were true NW7 cases with early onset progression and the last bit of donor thinned out over time. As far as I can tell from what you're describing that wouldn't be applicable to you, or most patients for that matter. A true NW7 seems pretty rare.

Having said that, our hair does tend to thin a bit (not miniaturize) as we age and that can be a factor in a transplant result down the line as well. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 12:46 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I usually keep it on for two days, then I wash it out with shampoo. You can keep it on longer if you choose not to wash it out with shampoo. It really is a fantastic product. One day, if I was able to develop something as good as dermmatch in fiber form, that would be the holy grail.

one more thing i want to know , how do you keep your hair looking so shiny and moisturized and have that great WET look ?

when i use Derm match , i always end up with DULL DRY hair look .... do you apply any other product before or after Derm match ?  frankly I hate the un natural DRY look i get after only Derm match .

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jolly said:

one more thing i want to know , how do you keep your hair looking so shiny and moisturized and have that great WET look ?

when i use Derm match , i always end up with DULL DRY hair look .... do you apply any other product before or after Derm match ?  frankly I hate the un natural DRY look i get after only Derm match .

The wet look is a result of redkens maneuver cream and hair spray.  

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The wet look is a result of redkens maneuver cream and hair spray.  

thanks Melvin , but its  redkens maneuver cream or WAX  ? for pomade i guess

and do you apply the  redkens maneuver before the derm match or after drying the derm match ?

Edited by jolly

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, jolly said:

thanks Melvin , but its  redkens maneuver cream or WAX  ? for pomade i guess

and do you apply the  redkens maneuver before the derm match or after drying the derm match ?

I use it after the dermmatch is dried. 

View my thread