My Donor 6 Years Later

• Administrators
7 hours ago, HTHope said:

Did he make any comments regarding the scarring?

No

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
Just now, giegnosiganoe said:

Do you have any pics with your donor area grown out? Say 1 inch or longer?

I never grow my hair out that long, part of the reason why I chose FUE

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I never grow my hair out that long, part of the reason why I chose FUE

Makes sense. I'm mostly wondering at what length do you think your scars would be invisible, or covered by hair? Or could the lack of density be more obvious at a longer length?

• Administrators
Just now, giegnosiganoe said:

Makes sense. I'm mostly wondering at what length do you think your scars would be invisible, or covered by hair? Or could the lack of density be more obvious at a longer length?

Here’s the longest my hair has been in years. It was probably a little less than an inch, or an inch at most. The scars are completely invisible at that length.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Here’s the longest my hair has been in years. It was probably a little less than an inch, or an inch at most.

I like it much better at that length rather than buzzed off. I never liked the shaved side with long hair on top look.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

I like it much better at that length rather than buzzed off. I never liked the shaved side with long hair on top look.

I wish I felt the same, I probably would've spent less money and had more hair with FUT lol.

View my thread

6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Here’s the longest my hair has been in years. It was probably a little less than an inch, or an inch at most. The scars are completely invisible at that length.

image.jpeg

This looks like a solid thumbnail. U working on a youtube video? If so i’ll definitely be checking it out

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Specific-violinist60 said:

This looks like a solid thumbnail. U working on a youtube video? If so i’ll definitely be checking it out

Here’s a video of me using dermmatch, my hairs pretty short and you can see my donor pretty well. You have a full crown, so it probably won’t interest you, but you can see my donor in real time with short hair. I believe it was a 1/2 guard faded to a #2.

CE062BC9-16DD-4106-B3E8-0BF072991367.png

View my thread

I can certainly see spots where extraction looks to have occurred but I think it's important to note that I have seen a good chunk of transplant photos at this point and you are explicitly telling me you've had a transplant and to look for the marks. I think in general it appears more like your donor area just isn't all that dense naturally, which is probably the ideal outcome for FUE scars at this length.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Melvin do u have any greys? I think I’m the same age as u yet I’m about 1/4 grey and it bugs me sometimes but not enough to dye it....yet hah 

No greys at all luckily.

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 8:03 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Here’s a video of me using dermmatch, my hairs pretty short and you can see my donor pretty well. You have a full crown, so it probably won’t interest you, but you can see my donor in real time with short hair. I believe it was a 1/2 guard faded to a #2.

CE062BC9-16DD-4106-B3E8-0BF072991367.png

wow amazing .... i never knew that your crown was that wide , but you do amazing stuff man , never used derma match , but after seeing this im ditching toppik for sure bro .

do you still use this derma match everyday ? and does it leave any color on your white dress shirt ?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, jolly said:

wow amazing .... i never knew that your crown was that wide , but you do amazing stuff man , never used derma match , but after seeing this im ditching toppik for sure bro .

do you still use this derma match everyday ? and does it leave any color on your white dress shirt ?

I user dermmatch once or twice a week. It will not stain any shirts, but it will stain pillow cases. 

View my thread

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I user dermmatch once or twice a week. It will not stain any shirts, but it will stain pillow cases. 

and does it stay put on other days ? or do you wash it off in the evening before going to bed ?

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

ok i will sue you if it stains my expensive white cotton dress shirts ☺️  i advice you please appoint a lawyer before hand as this shall save you time .

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, jolly said:

and does it stay put on other days ? or do you wash it off in the evening before going to bed ?

I usually keep it on for two days, then I wash it out with shampoo. You can keep it on longer if you choose not to wash it out with shampoo. It really is a fantastic product. One day, if I was able to develop something as good as dermmatch in fiber form, that would be the holy grail.

View my thread

How often do you wash your hair Melvin? 

Daily with water, and once every other day with shampoo? 

I’m washing once every other day with a ‘natural dht blocking shampoo, paraben free etc’ - and then just leaving it on the days I don’t wash. 

I don’t use any product or fibres etc though, 

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

How often do you wash your hair Melvin? 

Daily with water, and once every other day with shampoo? 

I’m washing once every other day with a ‘natural dht blocking shampoo, paraben free etc’ - and then just leaving it on the days I don’t wash. 

I don’t use any product or fibres etc though, 

I usually wash my hair 5x a week with shampoo, and on the days I don’t use shampoo I use conditioner. 

View my thread

25 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I usually wash my hair 5x a week with shampoo, and on the days I don’t use shampoo I use conditioner. 

Is there any credibility in the belief that washing daily helps remove dht contained sebum from the follicles, or is this bro science? I was always under the illusion the binding was done below scalp level, but I've never actually asked a doctor.

I live in an area with hard water, therefore its not great for your skin and hair as it is, hence the reason I'm reluctant to wash daily - that and the fact that my hair type doesn't require daily washing. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Curious25 said:

Is there any credibility in the belief that washing daily helps remove dht contained sebum from the follicles, or is this bro science? I was always under the illusion the binding was done below scalp level, but I've never actually asked a doctor.

I live in an area with hard water, therefore its not great for your skin and hair as it is, hence the reason I'm reluctant to wash daily - that and the fact that my hair type doesn't require daily washing. 

I wash my hair regularly because my scalps pretty greasy. My hair will start to look greasy and nasty after two days. I don’t subscribe to the idea washing or not washing your hair will make any difference. 

• Thanks 1

View my thread

13 hours ago, Curious25 said:

in my opinion , washing does remove the sebum and the DHT around the hair follicles , i take solace from the idea of synthetic hair implants where the patients have to compulsorily remove sebum evryday around the synthetic hair or else they will fall out rapidly and much sooner , just my assumption , maybe not true .

5 hours ago, jolly said:

in my opinion , washing does remove the sebum and the DHT around the hair follicles , i take solace from the idea of synthetic hair implants where the patients have to compulsorily remove sebum evryday around the synthetic hair or else they will fall out rapidly and much sooner , just my assumption , maybe not true .

Interesting! I'm going to ask a few docs on their thoughts next time I'm consulting, 

On 8/25/2020 at 11:14 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would like to rebuild them, and maybe some day I will, but I think the crown is more important to me. It all depends on my donor supply.

Hair is looking great @Melvin-Moderator
Are the scars visible at such a short cut, slightly yeah, if I’m being honest, but like you said it has to do with the color contrast between your hair and skin, and nothing that SMP couldn’t take care of.

re: the ciaus’s comment above regarding the circled temple peaks ...hate to sound like a broken record...but microneedling + minox foam brought mine back, they were pretty receded prior...so I would give that a try with either the dermaroller or pen.