FUE + Beard Hair?

Hey guys, 

I’ve been told the best way to maximize your lifetime yield of grafts is to start with Fut, then head into fue. Top doctors tend to agree you get 20% more combining both methods versus doing FUE alone. So in a hypothetical situation, harvesting 7200 grafts fut/fue would only land you 6000 fue grafts....However, in an fue only case, can a patient with a very full & thick beard make up for these grafts you’d be leaving on the table? What are your guys thoughts on this strategy? Are the grafts the same? Do they work well for added density? What makes more sense,  max out with fue + beard grafts to avoid a linear scar, or do fut/fue and potentially harvest equal grafts? Or are fut grafts just better quality regardless? 
thanks

This is entirely down to each persons needs and requirements. The FUT scar is one I wish I never got. But yes it will give you a greater amount of grafts combining FUT and FUE.

Beard hair can be used as a filler in a lot of cases. Being thicker but obviously a single graft. 

Yield is now pretty much the same between FUT/FUE, but lower for Beard hair and lower still for chest hair. 

3 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

This is entirely down to each persons needs and requirements. The FUT scar is one I wish I never got. But yes it will give you a greater amount of grafts combining FUT and FUE.

Beard hair can be used as a filler in a lot of cases. Being thicker but obviously a single graft. 

Yield is now pretty much the same between FUT/FUE, but lower for Beard hair and lower still for chest hair. 

In a scenario where the patients needs are as much grafts as he can get. 
we’re comparing going fut/fue for max yield versus fue + beard. Do you ultimately get the same amount of grafts for both strategies.

You won’t get the same yield from beard hair. Scalp hair whether it’s FUT or FUE will always be the best hair to use. Beard hair should only be used if you are still needing extra grafts. 
I am considering it at present as I have exhausted my FUT (x2) and also had FUE (x3)  but still need to add density to my mid scalp. Beard hair for this purpose is ideal. i would even consider some chest hair but the yield is probs as low as 50/60% at best.

3 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

You won’t get the same yield from beard hair. Scalp hair whether it’s FUT or FUE will always be the best hair to use. Beard hair should only be used if you are still needing extra grafts. 
I am considering it at present as I have exhausted my FUT (x2) and also had FUE (x3)  but still need to add density to my mid scalp. Beard hair for this purpose is ideal. i would even consider some chest hair but the yield is probs as low as 50/60% at best.

How many total grafts have you used thus far from your donor to have done 5 Ht?

On 8/23/2020 at 9:38 PM, James C said:

Hey guys, 

I’ve been told the best way to maximize your lifetime yield of grafts is to start with Fut, then head into fue. Top doctors tend to agree you get 20% more combining both methods versus doing FUE alone. So in a hypothetical situation, harvesting 7200 grafts fut/fue would only land you 6000 fue grafts....However, in an fue only case, can a patient with a very full & thick beard make up for these grafts you’d be leaving on the table? What are your guys thoughts on this strategy? Are the grafts the same? Do they work well for added density? What makes more sense,  max out with fue + beard grafts to avoid a linear scar, or do fut/fue and potentially harvest equal grafts? Or are fut grafts just better quality regardless? 
thanks

With the advancement in the instrumentation and beard hair extraction, it is not necessary to go for FUT and FUE consecutively. In the earlier times, it was not possible to extract from the beard or body. We have seen multiple cases where large grades of baldness have been covered wihout resorting to FUT. The transection rate during FUE extraction has also reduced to a minimal level. Plus FUE has no possibility of any prominent scarring. The use of thin and sharp punches lead to the minimal possible scarring. 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

26 minutes ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

With the advancement in the instrumentation and beard hair extraction, it is not necessary to go for FUT and FUE consecutively. In the earlier times, it was not possible to extract from the beard or body. We have seen multiple cases where large grades of baldness have been covered wihout resorting to FUT. The transection rate during FUE extraction has also reduced to a minimal level. Plus FUE has no possibility of any prominent scarring. The use of thin and sharp punches lead to the minimal possible scarring. 

So on average, how many grafts can you extract via fue from the scalp, and then from the beard. Considering the donor is very well and the beard is thick. And would you say these exact rules apply for nw 6+ as well? 

• Administrators

@Portugal25

Had a significant amount of beard hair to his crown, maybe he can chime in.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:03 AM, James C said:

So on average, how many grafts can you extract via fue from the scalp, and then from the beard. Considering the donor is very well and the beard is thick. And would you say these exact rules apply for nw 6+ as well? 

See. Thats exactly the point we all need to understand. The donor area of each person is different. To get the exact number of grafts that can be extracted from a particular donor or even to give an estimation, the index donor has to be evaluated. Density, hair calibre varies from person to person.

4 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

See. Thats exactly the point we all need to understand. The donor area of each person is different. To get the exact number of grafts that can be extracted from a particular donor or even to give an estimation, the index donor has to be evaluated. Density, hair calibre varies from person to person.

Well I’m asking you this because you said in today’s era, FUT isn’t needed to cover large areas anymore when in theory combining both seems to be the way to maximize yield. Please elaborate on why fue alone is a better choice for an advanced Norwood patient? 

23 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@Portugal25

Had a significant amount of beard hair to his crown, maybe he can chime in.

@James C I had FUT with Dr. Rahal in 2008 and after 12 years I lost all the hair in my midscalp and crown (didn’t take Finasteride) along with several of my transplanted hairs. 

I had a limited donor so instead of doing a second and last FUT I chose BHT+FUE with one of the best doctors for mega sessions using beard grafts. 

I had 1888 beard grafts implanted to my crown and 2007 scalp grafts to my midscalp and crown so this area was rebuilt with 50/50 beard/scalp grafts. 

Its impossible to tell that I have beard grafts on my scalp and even the felling when I brush my hands over my hair is not that different (maybe because my beard has the same caliber of my hair). 

I was hoping to get 6000 grafts to achieve a proper density but I only had 3889 so I’m keeping my fingers crossed hoping not to require a third surgery to fill in gaps and add density.

If you are considering beard grafts you should know that not all patients can use them because if they are curly, have a different color than your hair or are very thin then the Doctor won’t be able to use them in your scalp.

If I were you I would look into a combination of FUT + FUE at Hattingen clinic to maximize this first surgery and consider beard grafts in the future should you require more density in the crown.

Edited by Portugal25

20 hours ago, James C said:

Well I’m asking you this because you said in today’s era, FUT isn’t needed to cover large areas anymore when in theory combining both seems to be the way to maximize yield. Please elaborate on why fue alone is a better choice for an advanced Norwood patient? 

An equal or even more number of grafts can be extraced through FUE wherein even the beard and body hair can be used in the process. There is transection during FUT too. Plus it also has permanent shock loss around the donor area. 

41 minutes ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

An equal or even more number of grafts can be extraced through FUE wherein even the beard and body hair can be used in the process. There is transection during FUT too. Plus it also has permanent shock loss around the donor area. 

Never heard of patients that had FUT getting shock loss around the donor area.

I had FUT with Dr. Rahal and have no shock loss around the donor area where the strip was taken (scar is unnoticeable!).

FUT will yield more grafts using less donor area and that’s just a fact! 

In order to maximize donor area the best way is to do FUT then FUE and lastly BHT to the crown. 

8 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Wrong. But since you work for an only fue clinic, I’m not surprised you are making this claim 

Guys... Is taking finasteride after having beard hair as part of your HT a waste of time... A previous poster referred to this and has left me a little unsettled. 

Apparently beard hair undergoes miniaturisation due to the effects of finasteride even if relocated to the scalp?? 

I'm on finasteride.. and had 1406 beard to scalp as part of my HT mix 

Any thoughts..? 

Z

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Zoomster said:

Guys... Is taking finasteride after having beard hair as part of your HT a waste of time... A previous poster referred to this and has left me a little unsettled. 

Apparently beard hair undergoes miniaturisation due to the effects of finasteride even if relocated to the scalp??

I'm on finasteride.. and had 1406 beard to scalp as part of my HT mix

I don't think it was negatively affecting my beard hair, but it was thinning my chest and other body hair. I think you may be fine to keep using finisteride if you are only using beard hair and not hair from other areas.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.