Finasteride & Oral Minoxidil

Drugs110

I've been on finasteride 1mg/day for 5 months now and yet I'm still losing hair (diffuse-thinning). Should I switch to Dutasteride? 

Also I'm thinking about also going on oral minoxidil, 0.625mg/day. Thoughts?

Please help. I hate my life, this disease is an absolute bad joke. I want to have a great hairline and density but my hairline's a NW2 and my forehead's always been big, now the 2 in combination look HORRIBLE. I look so ugly now because of this. My temple peaks are pushed far back and this looks disgusting from the front.

Edited by Drugs110

If you're actually a Norwood 2 that's completely normal. Maturation of the hairline is something almost every man goes through. Those that keep their juvenile hairline are a rare anomaly.

If you're going further than a 2, that's where these other treatments may start to help.

1. If you've been on Finasteride for 5 months that's still early. Wait at least 12 months before changing anything.

2. Oral minoxidil can be tolerated on small doses but talk to your doctor because potential side effects need to be monitored closely. Why jump straight to oral? Have you given topical a shot?

Do you have any photos from before and after you started Finasteride? Are you doing anything to track your progress other than looking in the mirror daily and stressing?

• Administrators

Norwood 2 is not bad at all, seems like maybe it’s your perception, how old are you? Usually it’s young guys who think like that.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Norwood 2 is not bad at all, seems like maybe it’s your perception, how old are you? Usually it’s young guys who think like that.

23. My hairline is naturally high. My temple peaks are pushed waaay back, it looks disgusting from the front

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Drugs110 said:

23. My hairline is naturally high. My temple peaks are pushed waaay back, it looks disgusting from the front

It sounds like you’re not a Norwood 2, so either you’re a lot more advanced then you think, or you have a case of BDD. 

Here’s a legit norwood 2 doesn’t look like what you’re describing 

image.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:44 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

It sounds like you’re not a Norwood 2, so either you’re a lot more advanced then you think, or you have a case of BDD. 

Here’s a legit norwood 2 doesn’t look like what you’re describing 

image.jpeg

ok here's mine, please tell me the truth

WIN_20200813_17_56_51_Pro.jpg

This is a totally normal looking adult hairline. Unless you have thinning in other places not shown in this photo this doesn't even qualify as male pattern baldness.

Stay on Finasteride. Do minoxidil if you want, but this is nothing to stress over. Almost every man will have the corners of their hairline pull back a little bit as they reach adulthood. If you're consistent with your medication and you manage to stay about where you're at for your entire life you've won the game.

Your hairline is fine and most men would kill to have it. You seem like you have a touch of dysmorphia so I encourage you to take a step back from this and stop freaking out. If you have other spots where you think you're thinning you're welcome to share, but once again this is a totally normal adult hairline and nothing to worry about right now. Get a free consult from some of the doctors on the site it you want a professional opinion.

20 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

This is a totally normal looking adult hairline. Unless you have thinning in other places not shown in this photo this doesn't even qualify as male pattern baldness.

Stay on Finasteride. Do minoxidil if you want, but this is nothing to stress over. Almost every man will have the corners of their hairline pull back a little bit as they reach adulthood. If you're consistent with your medication and you manage to stay about where you're at for your entire life you've won the game.

Your hairline is fine and most men would kill to have it. You seem like you have a touch of dysmorphia so I encourage you to take a step back from this and stop freaking out. If you have other spots where you think you're thinning you're welcome to share, but once again this is a totally normal adult hairline and nothing to worry about right now. Get a free consult from some of the doctors on the site it you want a professional opinion.

Thanks!

My temporal points are pushed way back, I want sharp temporal points and a straight "set" / "square" hairline. I want to ever so slightly lower my hairline and also completely straighten out my hairline (straightening out my temple peaks / temporal points, it looks disgusting to me from the front)

Can I do this now or will I have to wait until I'm 25 - I'm 23 now

WIN_20200823_16_11_51_Pro.jpg

Edited by Drugs110

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Drugs110 said:

ok here's mine, please tell me the truth

WIN_20200813_17_56_51_Pro.jpg

Your hairline is fine man, definitely not disgusting as you say. If Hemsworth can be a leading man with that hairline, you’re fine. Maintenance is key, as you get older having a prepubescent hairline becomes less important. 

View my thread

17 minutes ago, FoxtrotChi said:

For a Caucasian man, you have an ideal hairline that most men would be thrilled to have, myself included!

Thank you very much!

But please do note that I'd like to have a perfectly square, "set" / "straight" hairline with SHARP temple peaks / temporal points. Usually I see a lot of latinos with this hairline (the one I desire). 

Look at his hairline in the thumbnail. I want these sharp temple points / temple peaks, a perfectly square straight hairline. This is my goal. I am VERY troubled by my oval temple points, especially when I look at myself in the mirror (from the front view). 

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Your hairline is fine man, definitely not disgusting as you say. If Hemsworth can be a leading man with that hairline, you’re fine. Maintenance is key, as you get older having a prepubescent hairline becomes less important. 

Women always say my hairline is disgusting, or that I need to fix my receeding hairline. I do agree with them. I don't only want to restore my temple peaks for women - I myself would love to see this new hairline as well! But obviously as a straight man, the opinion of the women I'm attracted to (18-25 yo) matters quite a lot. To me and to them my hairline and temple points are disgusting. Also styling is definitely quite difficult with this hairline, trust me I've tried! And I can't go to the barber every day (for financial and time schedule-related reasons)

15 minutes ago, Drugs110 said:

Women always say my hairline is disgusting, or that I need to fix my receeding hairline. I do agree with them. I don't only want to restore my temple peaks for women - I myself would love to see this new hairline as well! But obviously as a straight man, the opinion of the women I'm attracted to (18-25 yo) matters quite a lot. To me and to them my hairline and temple points are disgusting. Also styling is definitely quite difficult with this hairline, trust me I've tried! And I can't go to the barber every day (for financial and time schedule-related reasons)

There is absolutely no way women are saying this to you all the time unless they're trying to be catty towards you for some reason and are too dim to come up with anything clever.

You've gone from talking about medication to maintain your hair to surgically constructing a hairline radically different than your natural non-balding hairline. No surgeon with any shred of ethics going to do that work for you, especially at your age. What are you going to do if you ACTUALLY start balding? If you think you're getting roasted now you don't want to know what will happen if you get stuck with a ridiculous hairline that's too low and lose the hair behind it.

Your temporal pullback in the second photo looks even LESS noticeable than the first photo.

Edited by Mycroft

If women are saying those things their opinion is moot. Absolutely nothing wrong with your hair whatsoever! You have a perfectly normal head of hair at present.

Changing anything would be a mistake. A change of styles you can try sure. But if your seeking perfection it will never happen.

And who knows where you will end up in 10/20 years ? We all have a finite supply of grafts. 
Add the risk of permanent shock loss and not achieving what you wanted or even matching the original density.? Not worth it imho. 

9 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

There is absolutely no way women are saying this to you all the time unless they're trying to be catty towards you for some reason and are too dim to come up with anything clever.

You've gone from talking about medication to maintain your hair to surgically constructing a hairline radically different than your natural non-balding hairline. No surgeon with any shred of ethics going to do that work for you, especially at your age. What are you going to do if you ACTUALLY start balding? If you think you're getting roasted now you don't want to know what will happen if you get stuck with a ridiculous hairline that's too low and lose the hair behind it.

Your temporal pullback in the second photo looks even LESS noticeable than the first photo.

They are tho. I'm not putting the blame on anyone here, just to be clear. They always comment on my (receeding) hairline. I think what really makes it disgusting is the fact that the temporal points on both sides are pushed SO far back. Instead of being straight, kinda laterally and diagonally connected to the forelock.

When it comes to my natural hairline before I developed MPB, hard to say how it really was. But honestly it really was straight! I'll attach some pictures from way back.

My hairline used to be so beautiful! Look at those temple points in the second photo. I want it back so bad!

IMG_20191203_151132.jpg

20190120_141252.jpg

7 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

If women are saying those things their opinion is moot. Absolutely nothing wrong with your hair whatsoever! You have a perfectly normal head of hair at present.

Changing anything would be a mistake. A change of styles you can try sure. But if your seeking perfection it will never happen.

And who knows where you will end up in 10/20 years ? We all have a finite supply of grafts. 
Add the risk of permanent shock loss and not achieving what you wanted or even matching the original density.? Not worth it imho. 

I don't really care about the future to be honest. I'm 23 currently, I want to keep a perfect hairline (after a HT ofc) until I'm 35 MAYBE 40. I'll go to a HT clinic this month for them to tell me exactly how many grafts my donor area has (never had a HT before)

I'm going to go to a spanish HT surgeon when I turn 25. This guy's very very expensive but he's amazing. The name is Dr Couto. Look at his results on YouTube - FUExpert. I doubt he will cause me permanent shock loss. 

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Oh Couto puts out some stunning results for sure. Although we have yet to see real world results, IE actual patients posting their results.

Problem with him is that his waiting list is maybe as much as 2 years! 

Yes and he's crazy expensive, 4Euro/graft lmao. But hey, it is what it is, doubt he fakes the results. I want him to restore my hairline, I can't tolerate this nasty oval hairline no more. Women commenting on it every time they see me is just the icing on the cake. They are right tho, this hairline is NOT okay nor natural. 

Man these women are harsh. No need for these sort of comments. All of us men are very aware on the state of our hair. We don’t need reminding. 
Can you imagine if we started to comment I’m something they weren’t happy with? 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

Man these women are harsh. No need for these sort of comments. All of us men are very aware on the state of our hair. We don’t need reminding. 
Can you imagine if we started to comment I’m something they weren’t happy with? 

Yes but sadly I believe the reason they're doing this to us is because of online dating apps. I'll simplify what I mean: Tinder is the major app here. Tinder uses an ELO system. The only guys they see on Tinder are male model-tier with perfect square NW0-NW1 hairlines because they have the highest ELO score, while the average and below average looking aren't actually shown. So say the first 100 guys a girl's profile sees on Tinder is all male model-tier guys with perfect intact hairlines. This is what she sees, so this is what she thinks your average guy looks like. When she goes out in the real world, all she sees is actually average looking guys with some form of recession going on (research says 2 out of 3 men will start balding starting at age 18). So of course she's gonna be disappointed... LOL

This is indeed very sad but idk, if you read this, maybe now you'll understand why they're so shocked by actually average male looks hahahaha

These women are shallow as.... you only have to walk around in real life to see the average Joe. 
Such a shame if this is what it’s coming too. People being judged on hairlines alone.
like you say so many people have already stared to bald from a early age. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

These women are shallow as.... you only have to walk around in real life to see the average Joe. 
Such a shame if this is what it’s coming too. People being judged on hairlines alone.
like you say so many people have already stared to bald from a early age. 

Yeah it's very sad. Nowadays women judge men based on factors they can barely control, such as hairline/hair, jawline, chin, cheekbones, height, eyes, genitalia size

It is what it is. Why do hair transplant clinics not operate on anyone under the age of 25 btw?

Edited by Drugs110

1 hour ago, Drugs110 said:

Yeah it's very sad. Nowadays women judge men based on factors they can barely control, such as hairline/hair, jawline, chin, cheekbones, height, eyes, genitalia size

It is what it is. Why do hair transplant clinics not operate on anyone under the age of 25 btw?

For starters they're probably trying to avoid patients who are confusing a mature hairline with MPB and pulling the trigger on a major surgery without actually knowing what they are getting into. Again, NW2 is not male pattern baldness. There's no NW0. NW1 is a juvenile hairline. NW2 is an adult hairline that 99% of adult men have before they start balding. Actual baldness doesn't start until NW2A at absolute earliest, or NW3 if you'd rather keep it simple. But more importantly, did you ask these doctors why they turned you down due to age when you had your consultations? Did any of them discuss the risks with you?

If you're dead set on this surgery I can't stop you, but I do want you to know what you're getting into because even the best surgeon in the world cannot guarantee you a good result. Do you have a plan for what you'll do if yours isn't good?

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

For starters they're probably trying to avoid patients who are confusing a mature hairline with MPB and pulling the trigger on a major surgery without actually knowing what they are getting into. Again, NW2 is not male pattern baldness. There's no NW0. NW1 is a juvenile hairline. NW2 is an adult hairline that 99% of adult men have before they start balding. Actual baldness doesn't start until NW2A at absolute earliest, or NW3 if you'd rather keep it simple. But more importantly, did you ask these doctors why they turned you down due to age when you had your consultations? Did any of them discuss the risks with you?

If you're dead set on this surgery I can't stop you, but I do want you to know what you're getting into because even the best surgeon in the world cannot guarantee you a good result. Do you have a plan for what you'll do if yours isn't good?

Far as I can see, I do have some slight thinning in the crown area altho now 5 months into finasteride it seems to have regrown quite a lot which is reassuring for me for sure

Yes, I did, they told me that I was too young, way too young and they wanted to see how the disease would progress over the next 2 years (until age 25 that is). Or else I'd be chasing loss.

Yes, I know, Dr. Couto is top-tier so the risks are minimal. I do have genetically thick hair (as in, the type of hair: coarse or thin or thick etc you get where I'm going with this), my skin is pale white (nordic complexion) and my natural hair color is dark blonde so I think because of this contrast, the number of grafts needed to achieve the desire density and hairline design will be favorable. I still have yet to know exactly how many grafts I have available for HT in my life

If mine doesn't turn out good I'll ask Dr Couto to repair it. I've read reports that say he did it for free.

I'm not keen on getting HTs either, but sadly at this point, I'm forced to, because this hairline can't be styled. Barbers can do an alright job but like I said earlier I can't go to a barber every day for time schedule-related and financial reasons. My hair is always flat, and these oval temporal regions on both sides are absolutely disgusting and ruin any hairstyle even the barber gives me. I have to make my hairline "square" straight again to look good and youthful (remember I'm just 23, I'm not supposed to have this hairline at 23, I'M still supposed to have an intact NW1 straight square hairline, that the type of guys has that the girls want, sexually desire. And yes I agree, women have crazy expectations but what can I do? Supply / Demand)

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Drugs110 said:

Honestly, I think you need to work on your mental health first. There seems to be a dysmorphia. Even if you get a hair transplant there’s no guarantee it will be a success, and even if it is, you may not be happy with the results. If you think that’s disgusting, imagine a failed hair transplant. What’s worse? 

• Like 3

View my thread