How many grafts to go from NW7 to thick NW2 incl. hairline?

I think many of the members will tell you its going to depend on your hair characteristics as well as donor capacity. If the hair is finer and of less quality, it will take more grafts to achieve a denser look. 

I think you're looking for a general answer right now, your best bet of course is to go to a good surgeon and get it estimated for yourself, but I'm going to say that it would be more than 7k grafts to get the coverage, don't know how thick that would be or how you define that for yourself. 

1 minute ago, TorontoMan said:

I think many of the members will tell you its going to depend on your hair characteristics as well as donor capacity. If the hair is finer and of less quality, it will take more grafts to achieve a denser look. 

I think you're looking for a general answer right now, your best bet of course is to go to a good surgeon and get it estimated for yourself, but I'm going to say that it would be more than 7k grafts to get the coverage, don't know how thick that would be or how you define that for yourself. 

I have genetically thick hair. My hair type is thick and wavy. Light brown hair on a pale white skin complexion.

Just now, Drugs110 said:

srs?

Yes, front (100cm2), crown (100cm2), left and right side above ears (100cm2)...+ another 100cm2 to tackle the deep crown area and any weak spots.

400cm2 x 50 grafts/cm2 = 20,000

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

10,000 grafts and still not enough:

https://dru.com/severely-bald-norwood-7-patient-cured-with-dr-ugraft-bht-system/

Edited by 1978matt
  • Sad 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

28 minutes ago, Drugs110 said:

Thanks

I've been on fin 1mg/day for 5 months and no results. Should I hop on dutasteride?

By no results do you mean no re-gaining or no further loss? -if you mean no re-gain that doesn't mean its not working. If most of your missing hair has been gone for years then the DHT has probably already ravaged your follicles to the point of no return. If you've been recently losing and the loss rate has stopped or at least slowed alot then its working. Ultimately finasteride or  dutasteride are not able to completely halt all loss now and going forward.

Edited by ciaus

14 minutes ago, ciaus said:

By no results do you mean no re-gaining or no further loss? -if you mean no re-gain that doesn't mean its not working. If most of your missing hair has been gone for years then the DHT has probably already ravaged your follicles to the point of no return. If you've been recently losing and the loss rate has stopped or at least slowed alot then its working. Ultimately finasteride or  dutasteride are not able to completely halt all loss now and going forward.

The rate of hair growth / month hasn't been normalized.

I'm still losing hair. Diffuse thinning + temporal recession still going on

• Moderators

I'm a NW 7 with approximately 460 cm2 of bald area (if I remember correctly. I will have to measure it again, but it's over 400). At an average of 40 grafts per cm2 that would be 18,400 grafts. If you wanted to average 45 grafts per cm2 then you're looking at 20,700 grafts.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 minute ago, BeHappy said:

I'm a NW 7 with approximately 460 cm2 of bald area (if I remember correctly. I will have to measure it again, but it's over 400). At an average of 40 grafts per cm2 that would be 18,400 grafts. If you wanted to average 45 grafts per cm2 then you're looking at 20,700 grafts.

So basically it's impossible for 99% of men to pull off going from NW7 to thick Nw2?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Drugs110 said:

So basically it's impossible for 99% of men to pull off going from NW7 to thick Nw2?

Not sure what you mean by "thick" NW2, but if you're slick bald NW7 it would be challenging unless you have a donor region of the gods + possibly good body hair to supplement it. Google Dr. Zarev to see some results of 10,000+ graft surgeries that show the kind of transformation this is possible for NW 7 patients.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Drugs110 said:

I've been trying for 31 years. I'm still working on it.  What's needed for any real chance of a decent head of hair on a NW 7 is a lot of thick beard and chest hair. If you have that then you have a shot. If you are a NW 7 then your donor area is going to be much smaller than average. You'll be lucky to get 4000 scalp grafts from a NW 7 head. After getting 4000 scalp grafts you will need to get 8000 to 10000 body hair grafts to get somewhere close to looking like a full head of hair.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

22 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I've been trying for 31 years. I'm still working on it.  What's needed for any real chance of a decent head of hair on a NW 7 is a lot of thick beard and chest hair. If you have that then you have a shot. If you are a NW 7 then your donor area is going to be much smaller than average. You'll be lucky to get 4000 scalp grafts from a NW 7 head. After getting 4000 scalp grafts you will need to get 8000 to 10000 body hair grafts to get somewhere close to looking like a full head of hair.

Does balding for some men stop at, say, NW3 naturally on its own instead of progressing to full NW7? Sometimes, or does every balding man always hit NW7 if he's not on treatment?

21 minutes ago, Drugs110 said:

Does balding for some men stop at, say, NW3 naturally on its own instead of progressing to full NW7? Sometimes, or does every balding man always hit NW7 if he's not on treatment?

Of course, not every man with MPB will end up NW7.  And thank goodness!  Take a look around at men in their 70's, 80's, etc.  My grandpa is in his 90's and he's a NW3.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

4 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

Of course, not every man with MPB will end up NW7.  And thank goodness!  Take a look around at men in their 70's, 80's, etc.  My grandpa is in his 90's and he's a NW3.  

At what age can I ask a surgeon to look at my balding and tell me, as accurately as he can, approximately where I'd end up naturally without treatment, based on my genes?

That's a good question.  Usually men will have their norwood pattern become evident by their mid/late 20's, especially if they have aggressive hair loss (this is why ethical docs don't like operating on men in their early 20's).  But this is a generalization as other men start losing their hair later in life without any indications of MPB in their 20's/30's.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group