Dr Diep FUT Is it Worth it?

hybonix

I have scheduled my first hair transplant surgery with Dr Diep for next month. I love his results and wanted an FUE from the very first consultation 5 years ago. However, my second consultation 5 years later, he is recommending FUT as my hair loss is really aggressive and said that I would like my results better. He said he could do an FUE, but FUT was a better choice based on how far gone I am. He also said he could do a combo FUE + FUT but that was not really cost effective and he did not recommend it.

In light of the above, I was very excited and super happy with the results I see based on his FUT surgeries. However, I started to peruse these forums and noticed that people are saying to RUN if you had to do an FUT with Dr Diep. I read that his scarring is bad and that it was not as good as other FUT surgeons like Hasson. Also that he is way too expensive for FUT. I am now paranoid and I already paid my 1k deposit.  I am officially second guessing my surgeon choice and this is scaring me a little bit.

Should I cancel my surgery with Dr Diep based on his FUT? I see some fantastic results and feel good about him being upfront and honest with me throughout the process. My gut instinct has always told me that Dr Diep will be the only surgeon for me, but I am now seeing he may be the best at FUE but not great at FUT. I do not want to cancel but these forums are making me second guess Dr. Diep's ability to do the FUT.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I keep my surgery booked with him?

Edited by hybonix

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

To be honest, I don't know what to think of Dr. Diep lately. There's no doubt he's achieved some fantastic results for his patients. But I also share your concern over some cases of poor graft harvesting, not to mention his grid-like implantation pattern.

Edited by ADuckwithNoHair
  • Like 1

@ADuckwithNoHair grid like pattern. 😆 I often wondered that myself. I see a few doctors pattern implantations that way. I think any form of pattern is a dead giveaway when it comes to transplants.I think FUT is over rated and the guys I see expecting better results from them are no more satisfied than a FUE. Stick with FUE with a 7-8 mm punch max. 

• Like 1

I had surgery with Dr. Diep in February (thread). I'm not sure what his FUT is like, but I can say that his placement of grafts in my case was grid-like. 

image.png.10cdf67a782dba23eab151faefeb1cfb.png

Part of the issue could be that the singles at the front of my hairline haven't grown in yet, and this could end up resolving itself down the line. Can't comment on the FUT scarring since I went FUE. I like the density that Dr. Diep is able to create, though. My advice would be to read up on at least 4-5 different threads and make a decision for yourself. It's a big decision and there's not necessarily one right answer. 

Edited by Tentpole91

Diep does not seem to offer good value based on the cost and the fact he has 2 surgeries going on at the same time.  The incisions he makes seem in a highly linear fashion designed to save time.  He should really work to refine his technique and use smaller FUE punches.

On the West coast I'd rather opt for H&W, Gabel or Mohebi.  Carman is a solid doctor too but not that well followed or flashy compared to other doctors - probably more conservative as well - but nevertheless ethical.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for all your help! I have decided to stay with Dr Diep as I like his FUT results and I have family that live near his office, so I can stay local without paying for hotel costs/etc. I also like how Dr Diep took two meetings with me and addressed all my concerns, so it made me more comfortable. I will start a new thread with all of my results and progress. :)

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 4:12 AM, Tentpole91 said:

I had surgery with Dr. Diep in February (thread). I'm not sure what his FUT is like, but I can say that his placement of grafts in my case was grid-like. 

image.png.10cdf67a782dba23eab151faefeb1cfb.png

Part of the issue could be that the singles at the front of my hairline haven't grown in yet, and this could end up resolving itself down the line. Can't comment on the FUT scarring since I went FUE. I like the density that Dr. Diep is able to create, though. My advice would be to read up on at least 4-5 different threads and make a decision for yourself. It's a big decision and there's not necessarily one right answer. 

Wow, it’s hard to believe that someone would implant like a doll in the 21st century. I can understand some patients getting poor or slow growth, because many factors can contribute to that beyond surgeons control but that right there has is no excuse , just no “eye” for details. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

There’s no perfect doctor, but he changed my life. My advice is research, talk to real patients. He’s easily searchable in the advanced search page, and there’s been quite a few FUT patients that have had amazing results @Skyb comes to mind.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I just talked to Dr. Hasson's office and they told me they could easily harvest and implant 3500+ and much more with the FUE. They have done 5k grafts with FUE and they said it would be done in two days. I am on the fence again here... Their FUT is also much cheaper as well.

• Administrators

Research on the forum, talk to past patients, take travel, time and consultations into your decision. You will find your answer. But remember, pm past patients, it’s crucial.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

11 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

There’s no perfect doctor, but he changed my life. My advice is research, talk to real patients. He’s easily searchable in the advanced search page, and there’s been quite a few FUT patients that have had amazing results @Skyb comes to mind.

I agree that guy has a killer result @Skyb but I think even he would agree in that whole pattern thing. He lucky to have thicker hair and probably many doubles and Triples to distract from the pattern. But hopefully we can all agree using a doll like pattern style implant draws the eye more to notice something is off. With that said your right no doctor is perfect, I am simply point out artistic ability which I guess is subjective. Your right he has many happy customers so I am not basing him just the technique. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Guy73 said:

I agree that guy has a killer result @Skyb but I think even he would agree in that whole pattern thing. He lucky to have thicker hair and probably many doubles and Triples to distract from the pattern. But hopefully we can all agree using a doll like pattern style implant draws the eye more to notice something is off. With that said your right no doctor is perfect, I am simply point out artistic ability which I guess is subjective. Your right he has many happy customers so I am not basing him just the technique. 

I think his hair looks top 5 results ever in the forum, but yea, design, pattern, and artistry is subjective, so definitely hairline designs will not appeal to everyone. 

View my thread

On 8/11/2020 at 4:39 AM, 1978matt said:

Diep does not seem to offer good value based on the cost and the fact he has 2 surgeries going on at the same time.  The incisions he makes seem in a highly linear fashion designed to save time.  He should really work to refine his technique and use smaller FUE punches.

On the West coast I'd rather opt for H&W, Gabel or Mohebi.  Carman is a solid doctor too but not that well followed or flashy compared to other doctors - probably more conservative as well - but nevertheless ethical.

Having two surgeries going on at the same time is an instant deal breaker for me. That is a pure greed move. What if a problem occurs in one room that takes more time? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guy73 said:

Thanks for articulating this so well. Basically summarizes my thoughts on the matter. There’s artistry which is subjective. But not implanting grafts in neat, ordered rows is more of a proficiency thing than a question of artistry 

What I have seen/heard anecdotally on the forums is that the row like patterns have been getting more prominent in recent work. Folks who did surgery in 2019 complained about a few obvious lines in the implant. The ones posted this year (myself and @Dadda) have patterns that are more prominent.

Edited by Tentpole91

5 hours ago, hybonix said:

I just talked to Dr. Hasson's office and they told me they could easily harvest and implant 3500+ and much more with the FUE. They have done 5k grafts with FUE and they said it would be done in two days. I am on the fence again here... Their FUT is also much cheaper as well.

I personally would go with hasson. They used a very similar technique that I received. I am sure I would have been recommended fut for my hairloss. I was pretty far gone in front and had moderate loss in the crown. So glad I chose FUE, but FUE using the 7-8mm punch size. I think we are all don’t want efficiency to sacrifice quality. 

Dr Diep is one of those doctors that has some outstanding results posted here and on YouTube. He is a marketing machine on YouTube and I feel like many of his patients find him on there.

with that said, I think the reality of this doctor is a little more clear on this forum. The past few years there have been many complains regarding donor management and now recipient issues such as the ones already mentioned.

i think he designs some great hairlines but has some of the most unnatural temple point restorations I’ve ever seen (non African hair)

I consulted with him over the phone and it was quite pleasant for what it’s worth. But in this industry results are what matter

43 minutes ago, LonelyGraft said:

Dr Diep is one of those doctors that has some outstanding results posted here and on YouTube. He is a marketing machine on YouTube and I feel like many of his patients find him on there.

with that said, I think the reality of this doctor is a little more clear on this forum. The past few years there have been many complains regarding donor management and now recipient issues such as the ones already mentioned.

i think he designs some great hairlines but has some of the most unnatural temple point restorations I’ve ever seen (non African hair)

I consulted with him over the phone and it was quite pleasant for what it’s worth. But in this industry results are what matter

Thank you for your input. Once I get final pricing from Hasson, I may cancel my surgery with Diep. It seems like Dieps quality of work has gotten worse and that scares me. Only problem is Hasson is in Canada and we have to wait until COVID is over until I can get the surgery.

Note: I have emailed Dr Diep with my concerns on his pattern placement and submitted pictures of other patients. I am asking for his thoughts and opinion. If he is able to assuage our/my concerns and promise more natural looking results, I’m game and will stay with him.

Edited by hybonix

2 hours ago, hybonix said:

Thank you for your input. Once I get final pricing from Hasson, I may cancel my surgery with Diep. It seems like Dieps quality of work has gotten worse and that scares me. Only problem is Hasson is in Canada and we have to wait until COVID is over until I can get the surgery.

Note: I have emailed Dr Diep with my concerns on his pattern placement and submitted pictures of other patients. I am asking for his thoughts and opinion. If he is able to assuage our/my concerns and promise more natural looking results, I’m game and will stay with him.

If you sent over my photo, I can tell you what he will likely say: it’s too early to tell, and I need to wait another six months before making a final judgment. And he’s right; There is still a chance the singles at the front could grow in. I tried to make that clear in my post above,  but could probably have done a better job. 

As context, I have an ongoing dialogue with Dr. Diep about my current results, and it’s probably frustrating for him to see my photos popping up in his emails from prospective clients. So it goes. 

I totally understand the urge to do surgery now rather than waiting another 6-12 months. Keep in mind, though, that the results are for life! 

8 hours ago, hybonix said:

@Tentpole91If you knew the pattern would occur with Dr. Diep, would you have chosen Hasson instead?

I didn’t look at Hasson when I was making my decision, because I felt that his clinic was a bit too conservative in the hairlines that they design. Probably not a smart call in hindsight  

I chose Dr. Diep because I thought he would be a safe bet given the sheer number of people who have had transplants from him on the forums stretching back to 2015. I thought that if he was good enough for all of them, he’s probably good enough for me. I also was a fan of the density he is able to achieve, which I didn’t really see in other doctors  

Today, the pattern is pretty frustrating. It looks unnatural and I’m not comfortable exposing that side of my hairline. But then again, plenty of people are unhappy with their transplants at six months. I’ll have a better answer for you towards the end of the year once the hair has had a chance to soften, mature, and grow in any straggling singles. Otherwise it’s not super fair to Dr. Diep to call the results a success/failure before the hair has fully grown in. 

Now if the pattern remains prominent 6 months from now, then I would definitely cash in the hypothetical card to swap surgeons. Who wouldn’t? lol 

Edited by Tentpole91
  • Like 1