"I Just Don't Want to Be Bald" (2314 + 2400 FUE grafts): Carlos K. Wesley, M.D. (NYC & LA)

Billena

#BeforeAndAfterMondays

This patient underwent a follicular unit extraction (FUE) session with Dr. Carlos K. Wesley in which a total of 4714 grafts were placed

Three elements combined to help improve his experience: graft harvest, graft storage, and patient safety. Rather than a larger FUE punch used by a robotic approach, Dr. Wesley used a smaller caliber hand-held motorized punch to performed the donor harvest.  This approach better enabled the capture of donor intact hair roots that are slightly curved beneath the skin surface.  Upon completion of the harvest, the patient’s donor area was treated with PRP and ACell in order to not only minimize scar tissue formation, but also encourage partial regeneration of donor hair follicles.

Graft storage was optimized as hair follicles were incubated in autologous (his own) platelet rich plasma (PRP) throughout the duration of the procedure.  This, combined with an ATP-containing storage solution [URL=“https://youtu.be/owR_yeezZ0o”]has been shown to enhance survival of transplanted hairs[/URL].

Finally, having his procedure performed in our office with the highest standards of COVID precautions helped ensure patient safety. Every patient of Dr. Wesley’s receives a rapid COVID test upon arrival to our office equipped with an ultraviolet air purification system.  Measures such as reducing foot traffic by performing virtual consultations at no charge to patients, regular staff COVID testing and no-touch temperature checks of our team that avoids public transportation help preserve our clean and sanitary safe haven. Daily sterilization of the office coupled with the most rigid OR safety precautions further allay patient concerns in this sensitive time.   

The patient returned two years after his procedure and images of the patient can be seen below.  This link illustrates the timing of hair growth after surgery.  Similar [URL=“https://youtu.be/7ljy_k5zfSY”]patient hair transformations[/URL] with Dr. Wesley and his team may also be viewed.

Slide1.jpeg

Slide2.jpeg

Slide3.jpeg

Slide4.jpeg

Slide5.jpeg

Edited by Billena

Is there a mistake here? Did the clinic send the wrong 'after' photos? Personally, I would be disappointed with these results. The hairline is ill-defined, the density does not seem to reflect the high number of grafts. This result would not entice me to consider this clinic.

Edited by kirkland

2 minutes ago, Louisjams said:

I think it looks good. He has very fine hair, and for where he started it is a big improvement. 

You're correct in saying that he has a fine hair caliber. He might also have lesser numbers of multiple hair grafts than average which could account for the thinner look. However, it is difficult to say how much improvement is demonstrated from the before and after pics given that his hair is quite short in the before pics compared to his 2-year pics. Also, his hairline is still poorly designed, if designed at all. Ultimately, if the client is happy, it doesn't matter my opinion. I just think that it's an odd choice by Dr. Wesley's clinic to showcase this particular outcome.

I do think that boards like this tend to focus on outliers i.e. "My HT came out great!" or "My HT is a disaster!" 

Most patients have average donors and have average results, which look totally fine. 

If I was this guy, I would be happy with this result. If this guy is happy, that is the most important thing.

• Like 1

This result looks fine to me. The guy was practically a slick bald Norwood 5/6 and is now out of the bald guy category, with probably 2000-3000 more grafts in the bank + body hair if he so chooses. 

With fine hair one cannot expect miracles. Going from slick bald to this result is life changing, and he can certainly improve the hairline a bit more if it bothers him.

The fact that this was done with FUE alone gives hope to high Norwood guys that you can get out of the bald guy category without opting for FUT

One criticism that I think is valid though is that this clinic, like others, do not necessarily post the clearest pictures. Many use combovers in dimmer lighting conditions, making it look like there is more density than there really is. Why can't we get pictures with regularly combed hair, preferably straight, rather than these side-combed dim photos? And in clear direct sunlight to avoid any confusion for prospective patients? 

More transparency is certainly needed. 

Edited by asterix0
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...