Aged 50...why does everyone tell me to not worry?

Ok..so sadly it happened. How? Not sure..years went by and then it was here...50!!!!!!

Age is just a number. Go old gracefully...blah,blah,blah....easy to say until you get there.

So no doubt i am going bald probably a level 3. From the front it doesn't look bad...but from top you can see the bald area now on the crown.

Hate it...I keep fit, watch my weight, look after my teeth and skin etc..but with hair there is not much you can about it..naturally. I am open about using products like topical fint, Nizoral and even thinking of having a hair transplant. Do not see the problem here.

BUT everyone tells me to stop trying to fight it. Like i am having a mid life crisis etc...the fact is i was worried about going bald from the mid thirties. To me getting fat, having bad teeth and going bald are the worse things about getting older. They make you look much older and i do everything i can to stem it all. 

Anyone else had/have this? 

• Like 1

• Administrators

You never stop caring about your appearance. That’s why when young kids are 20, and they say “I want a hair transplant now, I won’t care what I look like when I’m 50” it’s just not true. 

Thankfully, we live in an age where going bald really is a choice. Mind sharing pictures of the hair loss?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Sit down, young feller.  I'll tell you a story - it was, I reckon, the summer of 09  and me and the Missus wuz havin' a homemade brew on the porch and she squints at me and sez "hey Old Man, the sun reflectin' off yer head is hurtin' my eyes".  Well, Lordy, the light bulb went off and I figgured it was a sign from above.  Bout then a young fella names Bosley sheweed up and after some discussion  I shot him dead right there and thought "There's gotta be better Follicular Transplant fellas than that snake oil salesman!"  Then I discovered this hear website and my eyes were open.   So at 64 I got my head cracked open for planting and I ain't looked backsince!  So take my advice and do all you can to please yourself cuz in the end that what matters!!  

Edited by voxman
  • Like 3

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

9 hours ago, ihategonigbald said:

Ok..so sadly it happened. How? Not sure..years went by and then it was here...50!!!!!!

Age is just a number. Go old gracefully...blah,blah,blah....easy to say until you get there.

So no doubt i am going bald probably a level 3. From the front it doesn't look bad...but from top you can see the bald area now on the crown.

Hate it...I keep fit, watch my weight, look after my teeth and skin etc..but with hair there is not much you can about it..naturally. I am open about using products like topical fint, Nizoral and even thinking of having a hair transplant. Do not see the problem here.

BUT everyone tells me to stop trying to fight it. Like i am having a mid life crisis etc...the fact is i was worried about going bald from the mid thirties. To me getting fat, having bad teeth and going bald are the worse things about getting older. They make you look much older and i do everything i can to stem it all. 

Anyone else had/have this? 

I don't see anything wrong with caring about one's aesthetics. I would do exactly the same and worry exactly the same as you. Infact, I am always very vigilant about it. I think the only thing you should stop doing is to stop listening to these people. They have a right to their opinion but fortunately not on yours.

We have so many individuals who come in and get their hair transplantation procedure done way beyond age 50. Our most senior member was in his 80s. I think you are perfectly fine to go for a transplant and also to take the necessary steps to prevent any further balding. 

Also 50 is the new 30 so I wouldn't really consider it an old age. Maybe when you're 90, you are allowed to feel that way. And its not fighting anything. Its a normal maintainance of onself and I think its rather commendable to have such a trait.

Wish you all the happiness in the world.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

52 here. Not really one to care about my appearance, Take a shower, brush it back, deoderant and grab clothes off the top of the pile. BUT in photos taken with my wife and others....GEEEZEEE!!!! the hair, horrendous. Just bugged me senseless. Looks horrid (to me anyway) so got er done. Now waiting for the growth phase 

Let me add my 10 Cents here. I was 63 (last year) when I decided to have a hair transplant - now I'm 64. Although I wouldn't describe myself as a person lacking self-esteem, I have a university education both graduate and post-graduate and am successful in my profession but it certainly bugged me every now and again that I was (going) bald, so I decided quite early on to look after the parts of my body that I could influence myself - this included fitness in the form of regular running and some weight training as well as paying attention to what I eat and what I wear and guess what, it worked fine and I was fitter, my body looked much better with some muscle definition and I felt better but nobody really noticed it (or at least nobody ever said anything). I did this mainly for myself but let's be honest, I also secretly hoped that others would think - he doesn't look that bad even if he doesn't have much hair ;-))

Instead, the comments were generally, "hey there mate" looks like you're losing your hair" - as if this was some kind of stigma and I hadn't noticed it - and, on top of that, the usual jokes about "you only have a certain amount of male Hormones so why waste them growing hair" and the "glad it's not Happening to me" comments. Of Course, These were my "friends" telling me this and not strangers

I think it would have been much better of nobody had said anything at all!

Just last week, two young women at my place of work actually commented (independently of each other) on my appearance, specifically, my hair style saying that I looked 20(!) years younger (OK, 10 years would have been sufficient for me ;-)). They only mentioned the hair style and I'm sure they didn't think that I'd had a hair transplant. That was just nice. I can only put this down to having more hair and a nicely-framed face now. Although my wife said to me that she didn't care whether I was bald or not, she did eventually say that having a HT was a big(!) improvement to my appearance but she felt that my overall demeanor and self-respect had improved as well.

So there you have it - it does make difference in all respects!

Cheers to all fellow apes!

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 8/7/2020 at 9:10 AM, ihategonigbald said:

BUT everyone tells me to stop trying to fight it. Like i am having a mid life crisis etc

If it's women your age who are telling you this then tell them to stop shaving their legs, dying their hair, putting on eye liner and mascara, etc. Listen to what their answer is. I'm 100% sure you'll hear them basically tell you it's important for them to look good, but it's not important for you to look good. Then go and do whatever you want to do to look your best because you are just as important as anyone else.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, BeHappy said:

If it's women your age who are telling you this then tell them to stop shaving their legs, dying their hair, putting on eye liner and mascara, etc. Listen to what their answer is. I'm 100% sure you'll hear them basically tell you it's important for them to look good, but it's not important for you to look good. Then go and do whatever you want to do to look your best because you are just as important as anyone else.

Both....usually people that gave up trying to look better 20 years ago. 😞 Me, keep fit, gym, hike, eat healthy etc.. Not obsessed with it. But ever since I can remember I have been active and fit..long may it last..

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 9:10 PM, ihategonigbald said:

BUT everyone tells me to stop trying to fight it...

I am just past 50. I keep six-pack fit. I workout - I just finished doing the 10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge. I hike regularly - the latest one was Mt Whitney. I can run a 10k/6miles in less than 50 minutes any day. I take care of my teeth and wear sunscreen.

But doing a low-key HT has a significant impact on how I looked. Everyone just thought I looked better. (Did I have my face done? What serum am I using? What supplements am I taking? No one noticed the hair except to say it suits me.) 

• Valued Contributor

I'm 53 and I care about my hair and always will. With scars I chose SMP and I'm just waiting until lock down is over until I can get a flight to Eugenix. If I was genuinely not a candidate for a hair transplant at all I would still stick to SMP. Do I also care if I look fat, wrinkled, etc? Absolutely! I exercise and work out and I wore a wig for nearly 25 years to hide my botched hair transplant scars before having SMP. As has been said in this thread just look at women. They don't get to 50 and then say 'thank fark I don't have to wear make up/shave my legs anymore!' As you get older in life you never lose your sense of self esteem.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, fortuneplant said:

I am just past 50. I keep six-pack fit. I workout - I just finished doing the 10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge. I hike regularly - the latest one was Mt Whitney. I can run a 10k/6miles in less than 50 minutes any day. I take care of my teeth and wear sunscreen.

But doing a low-key HT has a significant impact on how I looked. Everyone just thought I looked better. (Did I have my face done? What serum am I using? What supplements am I taking? No one noticed the hair except to say it suits me.) 

Nice man, need some kettlebell workouts. I’ve gotten outta shape with no gym 😕

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.