Transplant results

justamaz1

I had my transplants a number of years ago in southern California. The majority of transplants were a success. The problem was that my male pattern baldness (which started in my early 20's) continue to spread quickly, which really didn't allow for enough donor hair to continue to replace it and still look good.  So the appearance became more noticeable that the hair was spotty. If I did the proper comb-over it didn't look bad, but then I was paranoid of windy days. If you feel that you're not going to lose that much hair, then that is another thing.  After pressure, from my wife, to get rid of that comb-over, I shaved my head.  Thinking back, I now wish I would of shaved it in the beginning. I went through too many days of unnecessary stress. My story is just one, of many, to just consider.  Still sprouts coming up today, but I shave it daily.  Good luck to all.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Nice, you should post some pictures. I shaved my head for a year before hair transplants, and I recommend every guy at least try it before getting surgery. For me, shaving my head was a no-go. Hair definitely fits me better, but there’s a lot of guys who would prefer to shave.

FDEBAAF5-E57A-472D-8246-1ABE4B9E6B12.jpeg

6CEA28CB-CF10-46BB-8ACE-8E312010A311.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Sounds like you were set up for failure to be honest. Hair transplant at a young age, playing catch-up with hair transplants, and not being on finasteride. It's unfortunate, but I see this scenario play out all the time. Anyone who is interested in having a hair transplant, ESPECIALLY young guys, should try and shave their head at least once. Keep it for a couple of months, let the shock wear off, and see how you like it. I did it for a year, and it was definitely not for me, out of the question. But, for many, they would rather shave their head than take meds, have multiple procedures, etc. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

18 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Nice, you should post some pictures. I shaved my head for a year before hair transplants, and I recommend every guy at least try it before getting surgery. For me, shaving my head was a no-go. Hair definitely fits me better, but there’s a lot of guys who would prefer to shave.

FDEBAAF5-E57A-472D-8246-1ABE4B9E6B12.jpeg

6CEA28CB-CF10-46BB-8ACE-8E312010A311.jpeg

That looks good.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Moderators

I also think most guys should try shaving their head before going for a transplant or at least seriously consider shaving their head and think about whether that might be a better long term solution. Some guys end up liking their shaved head and some guys hate it. I am one who hates a shaved head look on most men and it's definitely not for me especially since I grew up in the 80s when shaving your head meant you were a neo nazi skinhead, so that wasn't an option for me back then.

The sad thing is that most younger guys don't want to shave their head because it makes them look much older, but those are the ones who are the worst hair transplant candidates because of their hair loss at a young age while the older guys over 45 who shave their head don't really look too much older and it's more acceptable at that age, yet they are some of the best hair transplant candidates.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, BeHappy said:

I also think most guys should try shaving their head before going for a transplant or at least seriously consider shaving their head and think about whether that might be a better long term solution. Some guys end up liking their shaved head and some guys hate it. I am one who hates a shaved head look on most men and it's definitely not for me especially since I grew up in the 80s when shaving your head meant you were a neo nazi skinhead, so that wasn't an option for me back then.

The sad thing is that most younger guys don't want to shave their head because it makes them look much older, but those are the ones who are the worst hair transplant candidates because of their hair loss at a young age while the older guys over 45 who shave their head don't really look too much older and it's more acceptable at that age, yet they are some of the best hair transplant candidates.

That’s true, it’s usually the ones who need hair the most that aren’t good candidates. Nature’s cruelty. Shaving your head definitely has become more acceptable, but you bring up a good point, assumptions are often made about shaved heads, either you’re a gangster, or a nazi.

Thankfully, those views have improved, but I met up with a hair loss patient a few months ago whose an actor, and he told me he would only get cast as a “bad guy,” which prompted him to get a hair transplant. 

View my thread