FUE repair of failed FUE cases and discussion by Dr. Lindsey

I've posted lots of cases and videos where I preach strip over fue and particularly for repair cases.  I've also posted a few cases of fue repair of fue or even strip.  

Well here's another FUE repair of FUE.  2 younger men each had virtually zero growth from automated fue procedures....likely because hairs were transplanted without viable roots...or no roots whatsoever.   The patient never knows....and frankly, without magnifyers....the doctor (if a doctor is actually performing the surgery...or a rent a tech is in some cases around here) wouldn't know either.  

So we discuss these issues, show you a nice beefy FUE graft and show the before and early postop on these 2 guys...just so you newbies know what to ask at your consultation.

Lastly, I repeat that FUE is ideal IF:  1  you don't need a ton of hair   2.  you have to wear a short haircut   3.  and you have thicker donor hairs with stronger roots.

Know these issues and discuss the pros and cons with your doctor..not a salesman...before you commit to surgery.  There is never a reason to rush into this for a bargain.

The video is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mNcyh9EQYc&feature=youtu.be

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thank you for the video Dr.Lindsey!

Quick question: Are you able to provide lifetime donor capacity for patients based on examining their hair quality?

What I mean is: by examining a patients donor, perhaps with a microscope, could you give an estimate such as:

With FUE only procures: 6000 grafts

FUT + FUE: 7500 grafts

Multiple FUT: 7000 grafts.

Something like this?

Excellent question.  Thicker hairs/stronger roots are best for all transplants.  Its the difference between moving say a pine tree from your back to front yard and a dandelion flower.   

Dr. L

• Like 1

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Moderators
On 8/5/2020 at 4:01 AM, giegnosiganoe said:

Does not having "thicker donor hairs with stronger roots" not matter for FUT?

Thicker, stronger hairs hold on to the surrounding tissue much better, so when a FUE graft is pulled out it is much more likely to be intact and have a good follicle root. Thinner hairs have more tendency to easily rip out of the follicle and also is more delicate to implant, thus they have a tendency to not grow as well. FUT grafts are cut from a strip of hair, so the techs can cut thicker grafts that will stay together even if the hairs are thin.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 4 weeks later...