Upcoming surgery - stressing about, well, everything.

Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled to have surgery in a few months, but a couple of things have happened that have made me worried.

My case for reference: 30 years old, NW3, on fin & minoxidil for 4 years so far. Extensive family history of balding (NW6+). 

Firstly, the meds seemingly halted my loss for many years, but now I've just started to lose ground more noticeably. My loss stabilised at the classic NW3 "M" shape, but now my frontal lock is shrinking slightly, and I'm losing an insane amount of hair in my hands. I know everyone sheds, but it's more than ever - and I've had no changes to my lifestyle to account for it. It's been going on for months now. 

Secondly, because of Coronavirus, I haven't been able to have my donor assessed by a surgeon. I'm in Australia (Melboune, stage 4 COVID lockdown), so we don't have any reputable surgeons anyway, but even the local clinics aren't seeing patients.

My concerns:

- Firstly, I'm still losing hair (as we all do and always will) - and I just have no idea of how much I will lose. I can wait potentially, and see where it will progress, but I don't want to spend my 30's under a hat or with a shaved head. I want the front fixed. How do people grapple with what is essentially the gamble or a HT - will I continue to lose so much that the HT is rendered useless, or will it sort of stabilise and I will look fine?

- Secondly, I can't have my donor analysed under a microscope. I should point out that my surgeon is Dr. Konior, which fills me with confidence in every way - but I just wish I could have had it looked at in person. Especially seeing as my family bald to a great extent. Is this a big issue in people's opinion?

These are just fears that can't really be navigated, so I'm not too sure why I'm posting this, but I guess I just need to vent. 

Edited by HelpfulFriend
  • Thanks 1

When it comes to the day of the surgery, if Dr K found any issues with your donor he would refund your money and send you on your way.  He's that type of doctor, without a doubt.

Maybe you have always been losing ground but only now is it getting to a %age where it is noticeable.

At 30 you need to be prepared to go back in the next 5-10 years for a top up.

Perhaps you could try adding in DUT.  Those Doctors at the Knudsen clinic might be able to do Skype consultations and be able to remotely issue you a script.  From watching them on youtube they seem willing to put people on it, if fin is losing effectiveness.

I believe you are in lock down but they can do you a microscopic examination once that's lifted.

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Trust the instinct that got you here in first place. You want your front fixed. When Dr. Konior sees you he’s going to evaluate you and plan accordingly. So it wouldn’t be much different whether you had that done now or later. I’d be more concerned if you weren’t literally going to one of the best. 

this is an investment in yourself and it won’t go wasted 

• Like 1

• Moderators

If you're concerned about losing a lot more hair down the road then the best thing you can do if you are getting a hair transplant is go with a conservatively placed hairline and not try to get extreme thick density. That way you don't use up too much donor hair now.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Shedding is normal. Most believe 100 a day is the norm.

Glad to hear you've been doing medical therapy.  Perhaps adding a laser or doing PRP at the time of the surgery are options you're considering.  I should mention, if the therapies are effective, they'll always be.  The only way to lose the effectiveness is if you stop them.  To confirm, go under a bright light and check your temporal areas.  I'll venture to say you have only a few miniaturized hairs - if any.

Your hairline should be pattern and age appropriate.  It will always serve you well.  

• Like 1

About your family history of hair loss, I have that on my mom's side too. I'd probably be alot worse off if I didn't do anything like my cousins and uncles.

Like some others have been saying stay on the fin and minox -esp the fin. It works by lowering the levels of DHT in your blood, one of the factors in hair loss we do know about and have a treatment for. But because our body chemistry and hormone levels change over the years unfortunately its effectiveness is not always going to be the same either. And you may have some factors causing your additional loss now that we just don't know about yet. All we can do is what we can while we can, as knowledge and treatments advance. Conserve that donor area as much as possible, being only 30 you got alot of years ahead of you -and that's also alot of time for new treatments and hopefully a cure. Stay positive!

• Like 1

The lead up to surgery can be very stressful, especially the last few days. If you are confident in your decision and your surgeon and your plan, move forward. If you are not confident, it is ok to hit the pause button and think a bit more. 

• Like 1

I had similar concerns before my surgery as well -- there's always the chance you'll lose a whole lot of hair behind the transplant, despite having had success with meds. As long as you're open to the possibility of future procedures or ok with the fact that it could thin in back, I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

All you can do is keep taking fin (or try dut) and hope for the best. Few surgeons are as mindful of the potential for future loss as Dr. Konior, and he usually designs hairlines that look good even if you continue to thin.

Relax, ask plenty of questions, and enjoy the ride. I found FUT with Dr. K to be one of the easiest medical procedures I've ever had. I could always lose more hair, but I'm very happy with what I have for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Do you happen to have pics of your hair that you can share with the forum?  How many grafts are you going to be aiming for?  FUE or FUT? Have no fear, you're in great hands with Dr. K, one of the best in the biz and a true gentleman.  Plan on staying in Chicago for a few days after your surgery so the clinic can clean you up in the mornings.  

Yes, you will likely lose more hair down the road - so you'll have to accept the fact that if you have one surgery you will need more work done later.  It's the life we chose.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

you can take solace in the fact that you’re getting it right on the first attempt. Dr. K is the best in the world and he will not steer you wrong as it comes to your donor area and future loss. It wouldn't be of much value to get a microscopic evaluation of your donor. It’s more of a qualitative assessment by just looking at it and using his years of experience to make sound judement for donor management. As stressful as it may seem leading up to surgery you’re in the best of hands so just try and relax and enjoy the journey knowing that you choose wisely. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Administrators

Can you share some pictures? Are you on finasteride? I understand your worries, but always remember you’ve done your research, and just trust in the process. 

I was personally a Norwood 6 with diffuse hair loss, there’s no worse candidate. 

I trusted the research, and made sure to get the most out of my transplant, i.e hair length, style, products, etc. 

Lastly, getting pre-surgery cold feet is normal, and so is buyers remorse, these thoughts affected me, but it was the best decision of my life, and I’m confident it will be yours as well. Keep us updated on your progress when have your surgery  🙏🏼

image.jpeg

4E396AF7-F8B6-44A9-8C00-46E6DE6E0205.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, hanginginthewire said:

How typical do you think your result is, Melvin_Mod?  Are you an outlier?  Or can the average diffuse NW6 hope for something similar? 

With the right surgeon and a good donor supply, I think results like mine are average. I don't think i'm some crazy outlier, my hair by no means is perfect, but I can make it look perfect with styling and hair products. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Apologies for the delayed response, I got stranded mid-COVID for work and have only just returned home, haha.

Firstly, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone's kind words. This forum really is fantastic, I've always thought so, and your words of encouragement have actually made a massive difference in my anxiety. I really do appreciate it.

In terms of my situation: I've been on Finasteride and Minoxidil for about 3-4 years so far, and I'll stay on them. I don't have any current photos, but I can get some soon. I was going to send Dr. K some updated pictures just for his reference. So I'll post some soon.

Again, thanks for the help. I read every reply and they really put me at ease ❤️

• Like 1

• Administrators

Good luck man 🙏🏼

View my thread