Could I be seeing transplanted growth already?

I underwent FUT on June 24. I had 2500 grafts in the crown and 650 grafts in the corners of my hairline. I had already been taking finasteride, and I started using minoxidil about two weeks after surgery. It's been about a month and a week since surgery. I'd say I've shed about 75% of the transplanted hairs. The remaining 25% have been growing without shedding, and it looks like I'm seeing new hairs starting to grow in my hairline where there wasn't previously any native hair. It looks like they're just starting to pop through the skin.

Is it possible that I'm seeing growth this early, or are my eyes deceiving me?

• Moderators

Sometimes some of the hair never sheds and does start growing immediately, so the 25% that hasn't shed and is growing can certainly happen. As for the other new hairs growing in do you think it could be the results of using minoxidil for the past month or so? Either way it's new growth and with the ones that never shed it sounds like you could end up with great results. Good luck!

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

It's unlikely that it's "new growth" this early,  per se - but honestly I would just enjoy whatever it is that you're experiencing for what it is. :) If you somehow avoid the ugly duckling phase, count your blessings - and know that it's also only going to keep getting even better from here. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Once the grafts shed, those follicles enter a resting period for 3-4 months before entering a new growth phase...so yes, it could be that the new use of minoxidil might have stimulated some new growth that was not there prior to the procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY