While I'm At It: Let's talk about exercise/weight lifting after FUE

I think I've read too much at this point because I've seen things saying you can start working out on Day 5 and things saying you can start working out on week 4.  I would love to hear what people did in terms of FUE and gym timeline and how it worked out for them!

I'm a weights guy, and I honestly want to get back to it as soon as possible (I'm already suffering from some COVID body here).  On day 5 can I do arm exercises at least?  And chest that doesn't require me to lay down?

And what specifically are the concerns around weight lifting?  What does it do that causes problems?

Thanks for the help everyone.

From the same doc post op page I pasted in your other thread, I wasn't on an excercise routine during mine so can't say from personal experience. But the main problem is the blood rushing throughout your blood vessels, including those in your sensitive donor and recipient areas that have delicate man-made wounds trying to heal.

• You should refrain from exercise such as running, cycling, and weight lifting, as well as activities such as golf, baseball, soccer, etc. at least THREE days after your surgical procedure. Such activity, when enjoyed prior to this critical period may result in bleeding and loss of grafts, as well as intense swelling around the eyes and forehead. Vigorous physical activity should be avoided for one week after surgery.
  • Do not bend over or engage in any lifting for at least 48 hours after surgery to avoid bleeding or excess swelling. Keep your head and upper body elevated above the level of your heart during this time, especially when sleeping.

19 hours ago, ciaus said:

From the same doc post op page I pasted in your other thread, I wasn't on an excercise routine during mine so can't say from personal experience. But the main problem is the blood rushing throughout your blood vessels, including those in your sensitive donor and recipient areas that have delicate man-made wounds trying to heal.

• You should refrain from exercise such as running, cycling, and weight lifting, as well as activities such as golf, baseball, soccer, etc. at least THREE days after your surgical procedure. Such activity, when enjoyed prior to this critical period may result in bleeding and loss of grafts, as well as intense swelling around the eyes and forehead. Vigorous physical activity should be avoided for one week after surgery.
  • Do not bend over or engage in any lifting for at least 48 hours after surgery to avoid bleeding or excess swelling. Keep your head and upper body elevated above the level of your heart during this time, especially when sleeping.

It's funny- your article is what prompted me to write the post.  I kind of wanted to make sure it wasn't too good to be true.  Some stuff says wait 2 weeks for light exercise and 4 weeks for real exercise.  Some stuff says a week.  Some stuff says a few days.  Obviously I want to believe the few days stuff haha.  

Was hoping some folks who did start weights again pretty soon might be able to weigh in on how it did or didn't affect things!

Thank you again for that resource, btw.  I find it very helpful.

np, and I think alot of the variation out there too is probably just some of the docs writing up more strict instructions because they know some of their patients are going to try to cut corners, maybe start doing something a few days earlier..which could trashe the results, and then the patient protests with some little white lie about when they actually started doing something, then posts about their bad experience online, bad publicity, hurts doctor rep, etc....

And then there's the differences in physiology we all have, healing rates, how vulnerable to damage the hair follicles are when being surgically moved around the head. Exercise is great for the body and mind/mood, but I would just take it easy for the first month so you aren't worrying down the road if the results start to come in a little slow that maybe you screwed something up in the initial weeks.

• Moderators

You are not even going to want to do anything the first 3 or 4 days anyway. Take about a week off and then start light training. No heavy weights. You'll know you're doing too much if you get a burning feeling on your head all over your recipient area and maybe the donor area as well (but probably not as much from there) from straining too much. That's when you stop and take a rest and go lighter if you still want to train more that day. After two to three weeks you can get back to normal. Like I said you can feel your way really. Just start easy and see if you are able to increase each day and then stopping if your head starts feeling some pain. Mine is like a burning all over my recipient area. That's when I knew had enough for the day. Don't push it.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 1 year later...

As far as I have heard, actions that require physical efforts should be avoided during the first 15 days. Personally, I started going to the gym after 10 days. At the same time, I used supplements from reaperlabz.net. However, it is not recommended to engage in heavy or intensive sports in the first month after FUE. Therefore, my workout consisted of short cardio, stretching, and basic exercises with small weights. You will return to your everyday life within 5-7 days.

Edited by WilliamF