how many grafts?

Hi, how many grafts do you all think I'd need? In the first two photos, I have my hair combed back to accentuate what I'm missing. I'm just looking to fill in the temple areas a bit. In The last photo is my hairline from 20 years ago.

IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_5780.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 10.54.12 PM.png

Maybe approx 2000 to 2500 grafts to give you good density in the areas you show.

You look like you have great hair characteristics! Find a few recommended  Drs from this forum,

consult with them in person if you can. Forum members can give you a idea of how many you might need but a Dr will give a much better informed opinion.

You need approximately zero grafts.  Your hair is fine, don't f it up.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I agree your hair looks pretty good now, the amount of improvement vs risk comparison is not in your favor. 

Do you have any pics of your temples from the side when you were younger? Alot of guys ignore the temples on the sides, just focusing on the top, and its one of the dead giveaways when I'm looking at someone's head that they've had some work done.

I'm not a doctor so can't give you graft count, and obviously not an artist but I'm going to try that job anyway :D,  l wouldn't just do the top like in transplantedphil's pic above,  I would want the temples filled in a bit too so that you have a new meeting point/widow's creep. But anyway, I find it curious that the doctors don't do more temple work -maybe its just a difficult spot to put grafts in, or maybe they are suggesting it and the patients don't care. 

image.png.0c9d4a9a9a6bc4a5a39e4ee5397b6d2b.png

Edited by ciaus

Pardon my curt reply earlier, but with your head of hair I just wouldn't want to risk shock loss.  Are you on Fin?  How old are you?  Are you ok with the possibility that the surgery doesn't meet your expectations?  These are relevant questions. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Users of this forum are (correctly, IMO) very conservative about recommending hair transplants, especially to someone who might not need it. Surgery is always a last resort and risks and rewards should be considered carefully. However I also believe that the risks and rewards should be assessed accurately, without weight for or against surgery. You obviously have fantastic hair, but I think there is room for cosmetic improvement should you wish for it. @ciaus has a nice markup of some potential work that could be done, namely a lowering of the hairline and filling in of temples. There's been good cases posted on this forum of people with generally strong hair who have had a procedure to lower their hairline slightly such as: 

Dr. Bloxham also has cases with minor loss, turning good hair to great hair. The problem is that dropping the hairline is pretty graft-costly because you NEED density to match the thick hair you have behind it. In your case that will probably be over 2,000 grafts.

Edited by ADuckwithNoHair
  • Like 1