There has been a growing trend recently, of purposely over harvesting scalp donor, to maximise the scalp recipient area to its fullest aesthetic potential, and then later utilising BHT grafts to replenish the donor area. 

I must admit, I love the idea of this practice for a number of reasons;

-Scalp donor is always the optimum donor source for the recipient area, both for survival and aesthetic purposes
-Higher HGI in scalp donor 
-Longer anagen phase in scalp donor 
-Due to the positioning of the donor region on the head - greater illusions of density can be achieved, due to hair growth direction and the angles of light reflection, therefore reducing the need for such quality grafts to make an aesthetic difference - as opposed to the standard balding areas on the top of the head, where everything is alot more obvious and on display

My questions to the community, and hopefully to any surgeons who may be reading are:

How feasible really is this practice? Are there no implications implanting BHT into a donor area covered in scar tissue from prior FUT/FUE procedures? 
On average, how many extra scalp grafts would this be likely to create for a patient to be able to utilise? 
How long would one have to wait in between procedures of harvesting grafts from the donor - to the replenishing the donor with BHT? 
Is this technique just in its infancy, or has the concept and trials been happening for a long time now ? 

Thankyou,

• Like 2

It’s something that interests me, but I haven’t seen it done. Some clinics call this donor-recharging.  I think most clinics wouldn’t purposefully deplete the donor, as it may reflect badly on them. Now, with the patients consent, perhaps, but if the patient ends up upset, it’s still on them, since they know better.

• Like 1

I completely agree Melvin - I think this could have potential for being a new development in hair restoration, and possibly in the next 5 years with a little refinement, this will be more or less a universally approved method, that will help enhance hair transplants that one bit further, and take them to another level once again. 

Everybody gets hooked on hair cloning, and stem cell therapy etc - when in reality, if you look at how far HT's have developed in the last 20 years, tbh - even the last 10 years, it goes to show that 'the cure' may already be here for many hair loss sufferers, its just a case of the techniques and methodologies becoming better and better. 

I think it's much better to incorporate some body hair grafts into the original recipient area in the first place mixed in with scalp grafts. With your way you are transplanting twice. Once to remove it from the donor and again to replace the donor. Body hair grows just fine on the top of your head. Mine grows longer and faster than the native scalp hair. It will grow longer than 3 inches on me with no problem.

36 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I think it's much better to incorporate some body hair grafts into the original recipient area in the first place mixed in with scalp grafts. With your way you are transplanting twice. Once to remove it from the donor and again to replace the donor. Body hair grows just fine on the top of your head. Mine grows longer and faster than the native scalp hair. It will grow longer than 3 inches on me with no problem.

Totally agree. Why go through more surgeries than you need too? If you have a long term plan in place its not needed. 

54 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I’ve always been curious about that, I have straight hair, but my beard is somewhat curly. Have you noticed the BHT mimic scalp hair in that respect?

Planting beard and body hair into the donor areas for their reconstruction should be limited to patients who require to get it done for the sake of their donor aesthetics. For people who have a healthy donor/virgin and are planning for a procedure should avoid it. The body hair can easily be used as filler on the mid scalp. The available donor grafts should be optimised in their use by intelligent placement in the recipient area rather than planting more than required. 40 hair per sqcm gives a great illusion of density when 100% grafts survive. It is all about the intelligent placement of the multifollicular grafts in different areas of the scalp to give a full and dense look. 

22 hours ago, BeHappy said:

It's not 'my way', as I have never had this technique performed, or developed the methodology for mainstream use of it either - I am simply an intrigued observer, of a new concept that seems to be gaining some ground and producing some interesting results. 

I'm glad to hear you have had success with BHT scalps planted into your recipient - I have seen lots of results online where they have looked fantastic. 

My curiosity stemmed from the limitations that BHT grafts have (anagen phase, HGI tends to be 1FU, different texture to native scalp etc) - therefore wanted to ponder whether this was going to be a viable method to really enhance HT procedures, and allow for further donor depletion. 

• Like 1