Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I wanted to post a quick day 3 update. Day 1 was great, day 2 was pretty bad. Went to second check up appointment and Dr. Gabel noticed mild folliculitis. He prescribed some antibiotics and told me to apply some polysporin after cleaning the next day. It looked bad all day yesterday. I even sent out a paranoid email with some pictures last night, which isn't really like me. Anyway, here's a visual. 20200801_052049.thumb.jpg.070bb5fb5ccf156cdd3366afc13015a2.jpg

Image on the left is day 2 before bed, image on the right is day 3 this morning after taking a spray bottle to it. Those antibiotics kicked in fast.

 

20200801_034231.thumb.jpg.67f17e4eee7e0aff17047e125f1c4e88.jpg

Area in the forelock retained pretty much natural density, so only a few grafts were placed.

 

20200801_034240.thumb.jpg.bd27d3cf498388690102b98ab08b0c34.jpg

Right side.

 

I'll post more updates soon, let me know your experiences with post op oozing!

Edited by ShadowMoon
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Tony k   

Stop acting like a child. If he doesn't want to tell you that's his business. What If I just kept asking you post pictures of your hair? Ok but post pictures of your hair. Do you see how that could be

Hi everyone, Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm sitting here in my hotel one day post op after getting the morning cleaning and repositioning of the grafts, and I have some time to kill. So

Posted Images

This is why it’s important to choose a great doctor. He noticed the folliculitus and treated it immediately. Wishing you great results! Keep us updated. What’s the situation like in Portland by the way? Have you gone downtown at all? The media makes it seem like it’s Afghanistan right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Dr. Gabel is a classy gentleman, sign of a great surgeon.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sam818 said:

This is why it’s important to choose a great doctor. He noticed the folliculitus and treated it immediately. Wishing you great results! Keep us updated. What’s the situation like in Portland by the way? Have you gone downtown at all? The media makes it seem like it’s Afghanistan right now. 

I didn't go into downtown, but from what I hear the protesting is localized to 3 blocks of a 145 square mile town. Tigard area was completely clear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Dr. Gabel is a classy gentleman, sign of a great surgeon.

Dr. Gabel is the kind of surgeon to fly to you in his own plane for a check up appointment on a Sunday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been in contact with Dr. Gabel about the folliculitis and not only did he respond to my original email within minutes at 8 PM, he also emailed me this morning asking for update pictures. Really blown away by that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ShadowMoon said:

I've been in contact with Dr. Gabel about the folliculitis and not only did he respond to my original email within minutes at 8 PM, he also emailed me this morning asking for update pictures. Really blown away by that.

So good to hear that some Drs are providing excellent after care! So many don’t! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a good hair to graft ratio, should be a great result. I'll be following.

It's weird that the pre-op pic makes it look like your frontal loss was quite bad, whereas the other before pics you've uploaded seem to show a fairly strong frontal third.

Some questions if you don't mind:

Does the derminator hurt that much? Mine just arrived in the mail, excited to start using it. Do you plan to continue microneedling? I plan on trying 1mm every 1-2 weeks, and possibly 0.25mm before applying minoxidil to enhance absorption. I haven't noticed much benefit from min alone after a year.

How come you didn't fully shave your head? Has it made post-op difficult in any way?

Quote

Dr. Gabel said I absolutely made the right decision to go FUT, as my grafts were very large and "splayed" near the base, which would have lead to an estimated 50% transection rate, as almost half were triples and quads.

This sounds ridiculous! What is the chance of this happening, I wonder? I plan on getting FUE and this would be an awful surprise.

Edit: Oh, just saw about the folliculitis. Glad it seems to be under control now. I sweat easily and have had folliculitis in the past, so it's something I'll need to be careful about when I get my procedure.

Edited by giegnosiganoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

You have a good hair to graft ratio, should be a great result. I'll be following.

It's weird that the pre-op pic makes it look like your frontal loss was quite bad, whereas the other before pics you've uploaded seem to show a fairly strong frontal third.

Some questions if you don't mind:

Does the derminator hurt that much? Mine just arrived in the mail, excited to start using it. Do you plan to continue microneedling? I plan on trying 1mm every 1-2 weeks, and possibly 0.25mm before applying minoxidil to enhance absorption. I haven't noticed much benefit from min alone after a year.

How come you didn't fully shave your head? Has it made post-op difficult in any way?

This sounds ridiculous! What is the chance of this happening, I wonder? I plan on getting FUE and this would be an awful surprise.

Edit: Oh, just saw about the folliculitis. Glad it seems to be under control now. I sweat easily and have had folliculitis in the past, so it's something I'll need to be careful about when I get my procedure.

Derminator hurt pretty bad. I don't plan to continue microneedling, I don't think it's realistic for me to do long term. I had residual redness for about 3 days every time I did it with 1.25mm. Maybe 1mm won't be as bad.

I went in with longer hair, I think it helps with determining the direction of the surrounding hairs when placing the grafts. If Dr. Gabel had wanted to shave my head, I told him he could do whatever made the job easier. Not having my hair cut on day 2 would've made the last two days worse, because of the tendency for hairs to get stuck in the oozing from the recipient zone. Would recommend shaving with the OK of the doc.

I wouldn't worry too much about having that same problem with bigger grafts, I think it was pretty rare. If you go to a good surgeon, they anticipate the problem by taking a graft and looking at it under the microscope before extracting more. If needed, they would probably just use a bigger punch. 

I guess folliculitis is pretty common, it seems to be clearing up pretty well! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ShadowMoon said:

I went in with longer hair, I think it helps with determining the direction of the surrounding hairs when placing the grafts. If Dr. Gabel had wanted to shave my head, I told him he could do whatever made the job easier. Not having my hair cut on day 2 would've made the last two days worse, because of the tendency for hairs to get stuck in the oozing from the recipient zone. Would recommend shaving with the OK of the doc.

Oh, I didn't realize he cut your hair on day 2. I understand showing up on the procedure date with long hair, I guess I'm just surprised he didn't shave it all down on the day of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Oh, I didn't realize he cut your hair on day 2. I understand showing up on the procedure date with long hair, I guess I'm just surprised he didn't shave it all down on the day of.

One of the technicians did before doing the aftercare. I don't know why they don't shave down more, most surgeons actually don't from what I've seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Day 4 update! Incision healing nicely, just looks like a dent. Some shockloss directly below it.

20200802_112046.thumb.jpg.81800aaa971cd4e12a82d8dd88720ed3.jpg20200802_112051.thumb.jpg.9b85075aa074dad8c7b4677fb28c0f19.jpg20200802_114115.thumb.jpg.c5935984193cab9089e0a312d6e7c8f2.jpg

P.S. My forehead is still quite swollen, it's not actually shaped like that.

Edited by ShadowMoon
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Doesn’t look bad, I looked like sloth, so that looks normal to me lol

  • Haha 1

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Doesn’t look bad, I looked like sloth, so that looks normal to me lol

The swelling settled around my temples on day 2... I know what you mean lol

Did you notice the skin on your forehead was extra oily? I don't think I've ever been this oily in my life

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
26 minutes ago, ShadowMoon said:

The swelling settled around my temples on day 2... I know what you mean lol

Did you notice the skin on your forehead was extra oily? I don't think I've ever been this oily in my life

Yea, I think surgery can stimulate the sebaceous glands, which create sebum. No scientific research, but that’s my theory.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yea, I think surgery can stimulate the sebaceous glands, which create sebum. No scientific research, but that’s my theory.

That would make sense, I was thinking it's all the inflammation from the scalp settling and leaking through the pores. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 5 update. Was curious if any one here experienced lingering redness like this. I'm assuming it is a remnant from the folliculitis, and it's getting better daily. Can't wait to get these crusts off.

20200803_092716.thumb.jpg.aed41310db061f96076e5ec4e774de15.jpgScreenshot_20200803-083614_Gallery.jpg.24b028581d807d8a410728f1eebb0cee.jpg20200803_075143.thumb.jpg.45e0fd03451f6698f9c1ea3ab2fe617a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain's log, day 6. Progress is slow, but it is there. The demarcations in the crust have taken over, and when I raise my eyebrows, my scalp moves as one unit. The red areas are incrementally improving. I have been irrigating with warm water using the provided sprayer and reapplying a light layer of polysporin with a Q-tip every five hours. I am washing the incision with Revivogen shampoo and reapplying polysporin once in the morning and once before bed. The incision looks great - no redness or swelling, and very minimal pain. For those reading this post, Revivogen shampoo is very good.

Cabin fever has begun to set in, and I ventured outside for the first time yesterday when I realized I had forgotten to take the trash can to the curb. The sun was blinding, and the garbage man gave me a weird look. I acted like I was shielding my eyes from the sun. I don't think he bought it.

20200804_090628.thumb.jpg.f6664e1cedc6005f2c4d23dec3330a33.jpg20200804_090618.thumb.jpg.72635c72ea1deaf054969e091b539f36.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, day 7. This'll be my last post for maybe a month, or I might do one after I take out all the staples. My goal was to give a good, comprehensive 7 day post-op for those nervous about getting a hair transplant, or those who have just gotten one and are a little nervous about what's happening. It is a nerve wracking time, for sure.

For those getting FUT, it consists of being paranoid about putting your chin down because of stretching. There is discomfort laying your head on anything resembling a hard surface due to the staples, not to mention the weird sensation of cleaning in between staples with your fingers in the shower followed by the blind application of Polysporin (my fiancée helped immensely with this). It is very Frankenstein-y. Today, as per instructions from Dr. Gabel, I spent about 40 minutes total with a combination of soaking the scabs using a towel, the bathtub, and then spraying it with a spray bottle. I spent 15 minutes slowly working into the scabs with some shampoo just using the pads of my fingers (no nails!!) and all of it came off pretty easily. There was a bit of shedding, but nothing too crazy.

All in all, I'd say it was 0/10 for pain the last 7 days, but 3/10 for discomfort and general annoyance regarding relaxing and sleeping. Not too bad at all, for those on the fence. As far as what the future holds, my biggest concern is the scar stretching. It has become habitual to keep my chin up now. I don't know what effect this will have on my posture, as my neck is pretty sore most of the time now. I'm going to play it safe and not do any weightlifting for about 6 months, but I plan to start running and doing push-ups/planks in the next month and a half to stay in a semblance of good shape. I usually work out 4-5 times a week, so this has been an adjustment for me. I also haven't worked in 10 days now, whereas I usually do 50-60 hour weeks. Big lifestyle adjustment and the boredom is very real. Have some books or TV shows lined up.

My diet the last 7 days has been intentionally diverse. I eat a lot of Perfect bars, which are a healthy protein bar that has a food mash. I also do fruit/spinach smoothies with hemp hearts and chia seeds, a daily protein shake with a low anabolic profile, and a collagen powder. 

Here's a before and after side by sides using the pre-op consultation pictures. I had a little bit longer hair in the pre-op photos so it's not exactly the same, but it is close enough for good comparison. Keep in mind that every native hair in the frontal scalp was shaved down to a 0, so they aren't visible. This is significant because I had quite a few native hairs in that area. Every hair that is of length is a transplanted hair. Also, the incision is goopy because of Polysporin - it is healing very nicely.

20200805_100306.thumb.jpg.1f7cf465760d9a40e87bc92eb77f6511.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2020 at 4:54 PM, Tony k said:

What was the cost, why does everyone leave that part out?

Because it's rude to the practice. If you want to know call them -- prices change over time and surgeons don't want people trying to argue for a lower price they saw listed on HRN.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 3:27 AM, ShadowMoon said:

Okay, day 7. This'll be my last post for maybe a month, or I might do one after I take out all the staples. My goal was to give a good, comprehensive 7 day post-op for those nervous about getting a hair transplant, or those who have just gotten one and are a little nervous about what's happening. It is a nerve wracking time, for sure.

For those getting FUT, it consists of being paranoid about putting your chin down because of stretching. There is discomfort laying your head on anything resembling a hard surface due to the staples, not to mention the weird sensation of cleaning in between staples with your fingers in the shower followed by the blind application of Polysporin (my fiancée helped immensely with this). It is very Frankenstein-y. Today, as per instructions from Dr. Gabel, I spent about 40 minutes total with a combination of soaking the scabs using a towel, the bathtub, and then spraying it with a spray bottle. I spent 15 minutes slowly working into the scabs with some shampoo just using the pads of my fingers (no nails!!) and all of it came off pretty easily. There was a bit of shedding, but nothing too crazy.

All in all, I'd say it was 0/10 for pain the last 7 days, but 3/10 for discomfort and general annoyance regarding relaxing and sleeping. Not too bad at all, for those on the fence. As far as what the future holds, my biggest concern is the scar stretching. It has become habitual to keep my chin up now. I don't know what effect this will have on my posture, as my neck is pretty sore most of the time now. I'm going to play it safe and not do any weightlifting for about 6 months, but I plan to start running and doing push-ups/planks in the next month and a half to stay in a semblance of good shape. I usually work out 4-5 times a week, so this has been an adjustment for me. I also haven't worked in 10 days now, whereas I usually do 50-60 hour weeks. Big lifestyle adjustment and the boredom is very real. Have some books or TV shows lined up.

My diet the last 7 days has been intentionally diverse. I eat a lot of Perfect bars, which are a healthy protein bar that has a food mash. I also do fruit/spinach smoothies with hemp hearts and chia seeds, a daily protein shake with a low anabolic profile, and a collagen powder. 

Here's a before and after side by sides using the pre-op consultation pictures. I had a little bit longer hair in the pre-op photos so it's not exactly the same, but it is close enough for good comparison. Keep in mind that every native hair in the frontal scalp was shaved down to a 0, so they aren't visible. This is significant because I had quite a few native hairs in that area. Every hair that is of length is a transplanted hair. Also, the incision is goopy because of Polysporin - it is healing very nicely.

20200805_100306.thumb.jpg.1f7cf465760d9a40e87bc92eb77f6511.jpg

Your # grafts, method, lifestyle, diet and work hours are so similar to my story! I'm about 3 weeks post op myself. Can't wait to see how yours turns out mate!

I feel like diet through this period is so important to recovery.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some pics of the incision in different lighting. Day 11, staples came out yesterday. Hair cut to a 1, maybe 1.25 after a week of growth. The incision itself is incredibly small. What's actually visible is hair being condensed around the incision site. There's just a bit of shock loss below and the hair is facing a slightly different angle due to a strip being taken out. 20200809_101936.thumb.jpg.b8b18a212968a66c611435d6a1e3ff40.jpg20200809_101947.thumb.jpg.8e8a6d9f8445633b0edb146fbdb5d385.jpg20200809_102001.thumb.jpg.9153ada56373626f61cce3e48c5048a4.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...